Calif. Smog

I am looking to purchase a 2001 ES300 Coach Edition. I have found one that I am interested in but it was purchased and driven in Virginia. I would have to bring it to Northern California to register and title it. It will require that it meet California SMOG standards. Does anyone know if a Lexus sold outside of California will meet the standards here. I would like to know, before I make the purchase and find out later that it won't pass SMOG in CA. Thanks for the help. This is a great site for information.

D.B.

i have registered about 4 out of cali state cars in my life and they all passed.

when you get it tested they will know from the vin that it is an out of state car and does not have the CA only emissions equpment. they can't really require that you put that stuff on your car so they just charge you a one time fee to register out of state cars there and allow you to pass at higher emission levels.

(this fee may have been revoked, i havent lived in CA for awhile and heard from someone its gone now)

The 2001 ES300 Coach Edition is a ULEV(Ultra Low Emission Vehicle), so it should meet the California standards. If you need anymore clarification you can call this number, 916-657-7669. This is the California Motor Vehicle Department that handles this type of queries.

Thanks for all your help. Alan, I called the number you gave but it is now disconnected. However, I did find a little information from the Dept. of Motor Vehicles and the Calif. Air Resources Board. They indicate that there is a placard or label under the hood which should state if it meets California and Federal emission standards. If it doesn't say anything about California then it won't meet the requirements. But, it does sound like dropspace indicated, that it will need to have a SMOG test done but under different standards for passing. So it sounds like it could probably be brought to California. Anyone find out anything more?

D.B.

What's up with California anyways? Why is it that they are so strict with emissions in comparison to other States or Canada?

Regards,

Bryan

bdonk, take a trip to LA and find out for yourself.

lots of smog. I saw alot of engine bays back in the 80s that were literally orange with soot and smog dirt. Lots and lots of cars and pollution and crap.

California really tightned up on the biggest offender of air pollution.....cars.

steviej

I spend a lot of time in the L.A.(Santa Monica) area and the smog situation has improved tremendously compared to a few years ago. The traffic problem is getting worse and worse though. :blink: <that's my eyes blinking from the smog. hee hee!

I lectured in Costa Mesa in 1995, that was the last time there. I just remeber that I couldn't wear my contact lens outside. There was a high smog alert in effect.

Before that, It was in the 80s and it was horrendous.

I am glad to here things are improved. My cousin lives near the Hollywood sign on the hill and I want to go visit her.

steviej

Yes, if I recall, California has been installing additional pollution controls since the 1960s. I have been in the market for another old (1960s or 70s) Impala or Caprice. I have seen some 1966 Caprice's from California with what was known as the A.I.R. pump, also known as "SMOG" pump. Even some non-CA cars received this pollution control equipment in the early 70s. My old 1972 Buick Electra 225 Custom was bought in Virginia and it had the A.I.R., or "SMOG" pump, as well as additional equipment. 1973 added even more equipment on more cars and especially in 1975, when converters were installed on ALL USA cars. I have a lot of family in California and have heard them complain of the smog.

Another Sacramentan ! I just got a 01 ES300 and love it.

Smog is bad but a lot of the laws are nothing more than political arrangements with the enviros.

If it does not pass... A suggestion. There are always ways around smog checks. Go to one of the small shops in South Sac and tell them to "tweek" it until it passes, throw them a extra 40 bucks. I know someone who did that for years on his gross polluter.

Later, George

To help things out a bit, & depending on the cars maintenance history, give the car a complete "major" tune up, do an oil & filter change & put a full tank of quality high octand gasoiline before you get the vehicle......it won't hurt anything on the test I'm sure. B)

:cheers:

Wow . . . I had no idea that California was so smoggy! But is it really because of cars? Or are there factories contriuting a large amount fo pollutants?

Smog is totally disgusting, so I guess that it is a good thing that they are taking measures to decrease it. There is a city in Ontario here called Hamilton that is aboslutely disgusting . . . it is always "foggy" there sure to the smog.

Here's a solution to your California dilemma:

Get out of overpriced California and move on up to beautiful Canada! Move to the mountains in British Columbia or something . . . not only will you get a breath of fresh air, but you will also have lots of mountain roads to enjoy in the Rockies with your Lexus B)

Regards,

Bryan

If I move to Canada, I will have to learn how to ski, play hockey or talk to polar bears. Oh yeah, I will have to like the BlueJays, too.

Nope I'm staying in Boston and only coming to visit you guys.

Nothin personal, but I like my Boston, BigDig, funny accent, rude drivers and most of all my Red Sox (I know, the yankees spanked them tonight. :angry: :cries: ).

steviej

I've lived in California most of my life and not all of the state is filled with smog. It's mostly in the populated areas like San Francisco Bay Area, Los Angeles and San Diego. I live near Palm Springs now and can see for miles until I drive into the LA area. :P

If I move to Canada, I will have to learn how to ski, play hockey or talk to polar bears. Oh yeah, I will have to like the BlueJays, too.

Nope I'm staying in Boston and only coming to visit you guys.

Nothin personal, but I like my Boston, BigDig, funny accent, rude drivers and most of all my Red Sox (I know, the yankees spanked them tonight. :angry: :cries: ).

steviej

Hey StevieJ,

Sell you house in Boston and buy 3 houses and a cottage up here in Canada! :P

Boston real estate is outrageously expensive. A relative of mine just moved down there and bout a $1,000,000 home which is puny compared to the $350,000 home that he had here in Ontario.

Canada is an awesome place to live! In my opinion, it is the best place in the world (but I am biased, and a lot of Americans will hate me for my opinionated comments). Now, I'm not saying the US is a bad place . . . it is awesome too. I just think Canada is better :P

I myself don't ski, play hockey, or talk to Polar bears. I also do not like the Toronto BlueJays (or are they just called the Jays now?)

I love what the Americans think of us folk north of the border. I swear some Americans believe that we all live in igloos :P

The fact is, we are a very modern society as well, hardly distinguishable from the US. Toronto is one of the largest cities in the world, and even Donald Trump is building a luxury condo building downtown . . .

Anyways, just a few of my thoughts :P

Regards,

Bryan