Local 2000 Ls400 Going A Little Too Fast?

90LS400Lexus

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL, 1UZFE and 93LSOwner, I'm under 25 too, but a little older than you guys. I'm 21, but not only that, I have been pulled over in my LS not once, but TWICE. Not on the highway though, which probably makes a difference. I got pulled over once for going through a yellow light and once for going 40 in a 30. Neither were too serious offenses, but I think my Lexus was part of the reason I only got warnings rather than tickets. Like you guys mentioned, I think even more than the car, what matters is WHO is driving it. I'm a young black man, and I think cops are more likely to pull me over when they see me in my car. Oh well, just stuff to think about.

Just wanted to add that this was in Boston, where a lot of the cops are definitely racist, but I'm willing to bet most police across the country don't look too kindly on young black men in expensive cars, especially when the windows are tinted, and they're riding on chrome rims. I tend to drive carefully when I'm in 'problem' areas where there may be a lot of cops around, but I've had bad experiences (sort of) in the past. I went to a nearly all-white prep school outside of Boston where most of the kids were the children of the rich and famous, and as a result, a lot of my friends from then drove really beautiful cars, whether their own or their parents. My best friend actually drove a '99 SC400 in 99, and when his sister harassed him to drive that, he would show up to school in his father's SL600 or his mom's LS. Needless to say I loved driving those things when he let me. But my point was that we definitely got harassed and pulled over all the time by police who saw these two 16 or 17-year old guys (I'm black, and my friend is white) in baggy clothes with wild hair driving these ridiculous cars. I think the assumption was that we were drug dealers or involved in some shady business, because after we had gotten harassed enough for them to know it was us, they let up and we could drive without worrying. It did cast a shadow on a lot of my high-school driving though. Oh yeah, and my high-school car which was a '94 Ford Explorer, never got me pulled over. And it was hooked up with black tints, rims, and a really LOUD system, as well as other shiny things, while my friend's cars weren't tinted and only the SL had rims and a system. I really think the car, how it's modded, and who's driving it make all the difference in the world. Cops didn't look twice at me in the Explorer, even though it was pretty flashy, while they were constantly looking my way in the really nice cars, and even do now in my '94 LS.

This is one of the BEST threads I've read. I've been cracking up since page one! Ya'll are too funny!

It's group to see such a well-rounded group that's has a little bit of everything!

DG

It's group to see such a well-rounded group that's has a little bit of everything!

Sheesh - maybe I should actually proofread before I hit the "ADD REPLY" button. But I think you all get the point I was trying to make! :)

Pleaze fourgive me 4 beeing gruhmatycally chalenjed. :D

DG

Ok, just for a point of interest, I'm 49 and maybe one of the least technical

members of LOC. But....... I totally enjoy reading and learning from the

experience and expertise of others. The post's here are informative, so

keep up the good work.

PharmGuy

"Made my Money with Legal Drugs" ;)

it seems like there are quite a few members that transitioned from ford explorers to Lexus cars... maybe its just me

u know whats funny

explorer_uhaul.jpg

to

<----

hahaha I THOUGHT IT WASNT JUST ME hahah ford to lexus is it possible to go back ??? anyone who had a ford before ? is it?

I did. I had a 1998 Ford Taurus while I had the Lexus. I actually drove the Ford to the lot to test drive the Lexus. I sold the Taurus about a month or two after I bought the LS400. It was a good car though. It had 251K miles, and still had the original non-rebuilt engine and transmission. Transmission was getting weak though.

My uncle just recently bought his teenage daughter a 1996 Mustang Convertible. It is a neat car. It is just a V6- which is plenty for a 16 year old. I would not buy a V8 model for a kid just starting to drive- but thats just what I think. I personally would have bought her a mid-sized, 4dr, 4-cylinder sedan. <_< , or a V8 car, only if it was a full-size car.

My uncle just recently bought his teenage daughter a 1996 Mustang Convertible. It is a neat car. It is just a V6- which is plenty for a 16 year old. I would not buy a V8 model for a kid just starting to drive- but thats just what I think. I personally would have bought her a mid-sized, 4dr, 4-cylinder sedan. <_< , or a V8 car, only if it was a full-size car.

kinda agreeing with u teen girls need the small weak kinda sporty cars, civic LX, eclpise or eclpise spyder, but contradicting what i just said is that dad gave me my LS for my first car, though its a V8 and its full size sedan, the car is like a panther yearning for some loving and some high speed freeway chases

the mustangs emit THEE sexyiest engine music i have yet heard, there always the small racers with the weak turbo and the blow off vuavles thats like a novelity to hear, and every once and a while u heard the sweet sounds of a turbo charged turbo'ed WRX and thats on higher on the ricer scale but still on it but all the same sounding nice,, but even better then that the few corvettes and viper owners who rev their engine a bit just to show who rolling in the dough

and then u have the nascar cars which i had the pleasure of hearing and seeing in person last saturday at an autoshow near by oh man thats sooo crazy how do the nascar people do it wouldnt they go deaf??

oh man the hell did i write.. im basically tryign to express my love for the sweet music that Lexus who in good intentions had to make disappear in their V8's

haha i dont even know why im talking about this but hey this is LOC i might be important to someone

• 3 months later...

Well guys, I am 42, and have drven MB, BMW and just about everything else.

I not only came from an Explorer to a Lexus (94 SC400 New at the time) I still drive a 2003 F-150 Supercrew King Ranch Edition. The Lexus is my "pleasure vehicle" at least that is what the insurance calls it.

I am not the least bit technical when it comes to cars, but I do enjoy reading about what others have done. I learn a lot too.

Keep up the good work!