Gas Mileage Compair

my mileage isn't too bad. i think i hit 280 miles on my tank before the light turned on today. almost 20 mpg. i only drive to school. about 7-8 miles one way. lots of red lights, etc.

somehow i still got a high amount of miles even though i drove the car pretty hard this two weeks.

kevin

Good lord!

I finally emptied my tank and i ended up with 295 miles for 14.2 Gallons of gas, and that was for full city driving, stop and go. That means i have 20.7mpg, hurray! :)

Prozac, it looks like an engine tune up DOES help with my fuel consumption.

akiraxtc!!!!

You lucky dog you!!!! :lol: yea... i put that fule cleaner in my tank last week and filled up tonight.... 14.68mpg... lol its WORSE!!!!! well... i think when i get my brakes done (Which needs to be in a month or two cause u can hear more and more noise) i will have them do a tune up. Also.... have you guys every tried a Piggy back ECU, ya know, they regulate airflow better and junk???? cause ive heard they are pretty good, and if the tune up doesn't help too much, ill try one of those.

Well this month i have filled up 3 times ( i didn't think i drove THAT much ). and i have the ratio of it all. A total of 705.3 miles driven from 5/1 - 5/21 and a total of 44.434 Gallons used to make an average of 15.87Miles per gallon. Total spent on gas was $91.82 in less than a month :wacko::blink: WOW... we are getting KILLED here in California!!! Any other stats getting charged around $2 for 91 octane???

BOY its a rough life,

ProZac

gas here in TX is only around $1.60 or so for premium. you can go as low as maybe $1.30+ for regular.

it's not too bad... but i remember the good ol' times when premium could get bought for $.99 a gallon here in TX. i miss those old days.

math class has now begun

lol

in toronto it costs 60 cents for a liter of gas

fuel treatments work great but they stink while in the car

it usually takes one tank betweeen to see results

also when using a treatment you do want to give the car a good highway run and atleast have the engine at full tilt a few times to get to help break andy carbon or other deposits loose in the system that the cleaner is softening up

just a thought

later

oh yah i use all the gas i can before i refill the tank

i usually get 550-600 km a tank

that is with very spirited driving

put it this way i have outlawed carbon deposits in my engine

and go vigilate on them when they slow me down

lol

i am insane

LOL!

Sk, how often do you use those treatments?? it says 3,000 miles. And at least i know now that my engine isn't getting worse :lol: So full tilt eh? Ill go drive on the Hill part of town just to make sure, but im already on the next tank... hrmm oh well.. We'll see if this tank gets anybetter B)

ProZac

i use the treatments every 6 months or when ever i remember

or when it is cheap mainly

i use the ones which cost about 20 canadian so i guess 14 usd

the 3 dollar ones a re useless as they are the same composition as what is in premium fuel

wow them where the days i was just talking to some friend tonight

about when it waaas fashionable to wear running shoes with velcro

and leaotards when the style

lol

but i was in elementry school then

what did i know

then again what the hell do i know know

lmao

oh yah one way to improve as milage is to use a k and n drop in filter

i can;t speak much for performance but some have said it did do a nice increase in or decrease in gas milage

( depending if you are ying or yang)

that might get it better also

oh yah when is the last time you changed the air filter, plugs and oil?

they all play a very good part

and do you use premium or regualr

you actually will save gas with a higher grade

When I first started driving gas was 24.9 cents per gallon. My dad used to pull into the gas station and the guy would pump the gas. He never filled up. Always got $2 worth of gas. That would last him over a week.

When I was in college with my own car ('51 Plymouth) I was still buying gas for 24.9 cents per gallon.

• 2 weeks later...

Allright guys...

ITs gotta be 'tune up' time... Average of 15.48mpg and i was pretty conservative. Today when i filled up. i Filled my front tires too..

QUESTION:

I have seen it coverd before on the boards, but. How much PSI should be in the front tires of my 97?? the manual says 32, but the tires say up to 44psi and 12psi under the max seems too low, right? it was fine for the rain, but now its all sun, so i hope my new 41psi will help my mileage.

I am due for new brakes and an oil change this month, if its not TOO much more ill ask them to do a tune up.

What does a "tune up" do? do they make sure the distributer is fireing right? or do they hook it to this so called 'dino' i keep hearing about? or do they tweak the ecu???

Thanks for all the support m8's

~ProZac~

Dunno why would you want the tire pressure so high, prozac. I keep all my tires to 32 psi.

You might not want to do tune up at those brake and lube places.

Basically when you do tune ups, they replace your Spark plugs, wires, amongst other things. The toyota technician i spoke to when i did tune up told me all the ES300 came with Platinum spark plugs from the factory. I guess they would be checking your distributor and other stuff too. It wasn't awfully expensive though, it was a $175 job, material and labor included.

akiraxtc,

When it was at 32 it seemed too low, like it was riding on the side a little from looking at it. Also, my mechanic who has done ALL servicing on my car since 97 does it all (the person who i bought it from has the same mechanic) It is a Lexus and Toyota servicing place only. So everything is done there from brakes to engine. The only thing we do elsewere is our Tires, which we have done at Costco :)

ProZac

Good ideas,

I check the oil change list: Oil Filter changed, motor oil, and drain gasket changed. Air Filter, all fluid levels, belts and hoses, tire pressure checked but not changed. done March 07 2003

The only recomendation they had was brakes soon because i have 25% front 30% back. so like next oil change probably. So, if i put a fule additave treatment thingy-ma-bob (high tech terminology) like STP fule cleaner, that might help? Its worth a try. I have about 70k miles, should i wait for 75k or 80k for them to change spark Plugs, or they probably know? I use to DIY my girlfriends 90' VW Cabriolet, but this 97 Lex is LOT more complicated :P so ill leave it to the professionals.

Thanks m8's

ProZac

ProZac, I've been using a product called Z-Max, for 2 years. It's an engine\fuel treatment, which cleans the Cylinders\Pistons and fuel injector. You can find it in most Auto stores for about $40.00 (With Transmission treatment.) It's helped with the fuel mileage on my SC400.

ProZac & EveryOne, I've been using a product called Z-Max, for 2 years. It's an engine\fuel treatment, which cleans the Cylinders\Pistons and fuel injector. You can find it in most Auto stores for about $40.00 (With Transmission treatment.) It's helped with the fuel mileage on my SC400.

Z-Max, Prolong, etc are snake oils and nothing more to make the money "slip" from your wallet.

These products can actually cause more harm in the long run than they do good in the short term.

keeping the care clean, regular oil change w/filter, routine fuel injector cleaining will serve you much better in the long run. Switching to synthetic fluids will produce the same improvements. Save the $40 for a dinner and a movie.

steveij