Foggy Headlight Fix

UNDRPSI

I have seen a couple of threads about cleaning out headlights on our cars , pretty much all that involve , removing them, baking in an oven, taking apart, cleaning, buffing , putting them back together, and reinstalling them. WAY TOO MUCH DARN WORK to clean some lenses.

I have a body shop along with all else at my shop , so for giggles i decided ( BY HAND) to take some 3M PERFECT-IT 2 and some meguires cleaner/wax and give it a go.

All i did ( BY HAND ) was get after it ( WHILE STILL ON THE CAR) with the 3m perfect-it 2 two times and then apply the meguires and I SWEAR IT LOOKS LIKE BRAND NEW!!!!! NO BUFFER AT ALL! I did BOTH headlights AND the lower turn/drive lamps in less than 30 minutes! Im going to hit it with the buffer tuesday just for that BLING effect but it really doesnt need it at all! The 3m is an AWESOME compound, only costs about 20.00 for a bottle (which will probably last you for a couple of years!) Plus you could use it for other things on the car i.e. scratches.

I couldnt see the headlight projector they were so oxidized! Now they look like Brand new! And i MEAN brand new! And to think i ALOMST spent over 300.00 last night on ebay for a new pair!

Ill post some pics tonight when i get home , somebody try it and tell me if it isnt worth the MERE 30 MINUTES to do it.

see ya guys , Joe P.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did a quick google search and found this:

http://www.autogeek.net/3mautapprod.html

which one exactly did you use? There's like 3 with the "perfect-it 2" name

I sandpapered my headlights with 1200 grit paper and polished it with plastic cleaner and the damn things looks spanking brand new. Sandpaper is a few cents, and plastic cleaner is 4 bucks.

It works great but the original headlights had a slight coating to prevent the yellowing. Once sanded off you need to replace it or it yellows even faster again in a few weeks.

I wet sanded mine down ,high speed buffed the headlights, turn signals and fog lights. Then covered them with clear bra vinyl and they look even better than just the buffing as they are now perfectly smooth. The pitting is gone and filled by the vinyl as well.

buffing then , clearcoating them is the ULTIMATE way to get the look to actually last. I just did it this way because i wanted to see if it would work first. i wont have to sand mine thanks to the LACK of scratches on the lenses, im just going to clear them when we re-paint the car this winter.

JP

Ultimate ? I beg to differ.

I would never clear coat a headlight. It would add refractions of light just like a reflector beveled glass . You would have to sand and sand it to a glass finish. Then once it gets heated by the headlights it would want to peel off easily unless you could rough up the glass enough to get some bite into them. otherwise stone chips and what not would flake it right off and look worse.

Just polish them ,then choose to either redo them every 4 weeks or clear bra them for maximum clarity and reliability. To top it off it is now protected from minor nicks and chips as well as yellowing from oxidization.

I have seen a couple of threads about cleaning out headlights on our cars , pretty much all that involve , removing them, baking in an oven, taking apart, cleaning, buffing , putting them back together, and reinstalling them. WAY TOO MUCH DARN WORK to clean some lenses.

I have a body shop along with all else at my shop , so for giggles i decided ( BY HAND) to take some 3M PERFECT-IT 2 and some meguires cleaner/wax and give it a go.

All i did ( BY HAND ) was get after it ( WHILE STILL ON THE CAR) with the 3m perfect-it 2 two times and then apply the meguires and I SWEAR IT LOOKS LIKE BRAND NEW!!!!! NO BUFFER AT ALL! I did BOTH headlights AND the lower turn/drive lamps in less than 30 minutes! Im going to hit it with the buffer tuesday just for that BLING effect but it really doesnt need it at all! The 3m is an AWESOME compound, only costs about 20.00 for a bottle (which will probably last you for a couple of years!) Plus you could use it for other things on the car i.e. scratches.

I couldnt see the headlight projector they were so oxidized! Now they look like Brand new! And i MEAN brand new! And to think i ALOMST spent over 300.00 last night on ebay for a new pair!

Ill post some pics tonight when i get home , somebody try it and tell me if it isnt worth the MERE 30 MINUTES to do it.

see ya guys , Joe P.

Thank God you did this!! I was REALLY nervous about tearing into the headlights and trying to reseal them afterwards. Your headlights look AMAZING! I'm definitely going to polish as recommended, with the vinyl film to ensure long-term shine. Can I get the vinyl film from any auto store?

Did you ever answer as to exactly which 3M Perfect -It product you used? Is it the rubbing compound, the wax or glass enhancer?

It works great but the original headlights had a slight coating to prevent the yellowing. Once sanded off you need to replace it or it yellows even faster again in a few weeks.

I wet sanded mine down ,high speed buffed the headlights, turn signals and fog lights. Then covered them with clear bra vinyl and they look even better than just the buffing as they are now perfectly smooth. The pitting is gone and filled by the vinyl as well.

...don't all these "outer" treatments assume that the inner seal has not been comprimised? I still had to open mine up because someone before me had seen fit to drill small holes at the bottom of the lens to release moisture (I assume).

The vinyl bra makes sense to me. I have it across my entire front, except the lights. SK, How long have you run this way?

see ya guys , Joe P.

Thank God you did this!! I was REALLY nervous about tearing into the headlights and trying to reseal them afterwards. Your headlights look AMAZING! I'm definitely going to polish as recommended, with the vinyl film to ensure long-term shine. Can I get the vinyl film from any auto store?

Did you ever answer as to exactly which 3M Perfect -It product you used? Is it the rubbing compound, the wax or glass enhancer?

SK--- let me re-phrase that, "if you dont want them to ever re-oxidize then clear them , my employee cleared his stang lights 2 years ago and he noticed no difference in lighting"

GO DAWG--- the product line is Perfect-it 3 rubbing compound, sorry for the mix-up..

ALSO , i bought a wool disc for my 3.5 DA and DAMN!!!!! even BETTER!!! then i hit it with the cleaner wax again with the 3.5 DA with a foam pad..... i have 3 cars to do tmrw!!! 2 supras and one sc300! i gues we really are an all-in-one shop LOL!

JP

see ya guys , Joe P.

SK--- let me re-phrase that, "if you dont want them to ever re-oxidize then clear them , my employee cleared his stang lights 2 years ago and he noticed no difference in lighting"

GO DAWG--- the product line is Perfect-it 3 rubbing compound, sorry for the mix-up..

ALSO , i bought a wool disc for my 3.5 DA and DAMN!!!!! even BETTER!!! then i hit it with the cleaner wax again with the 3.5 DA with a foam pad..... i have 3 cars to do tmrw!!! 2 supras and one sc300! i gues we really are an all-in-one shop LOL!

JP

I had a foggy headlight for my 92 SC300 and my 93 Supra.

Polish with compound, and with wax.

Looks like new.. Never even take it off the car!!!

• 1 month later...

see ya guys , Joe P.

JP

So, I'll polish w/the 3MPerfect-It 3 Rubbing Compound. Do I then follow up w/something like Maguiar's PlastX? Can I get the clear bra at any auto store?

• 1 month later...
This all sound great, but what if the problem is on the inside of the lights.. from water forming inside the light.

Great question. I myself can not see a little bit of my actual headlight because my driver's side lense is soaked with water on the inside. What i have read and am going to try in 2 weeks when i have free time is basically take out the headlight and spray it with something like windex or any liquid with color or soapy water, anyway, so first you completely spray the entire housing top to bottom (after removing all lights and electronics), then use a fan to blow inside the housing and look for the hole or crack that is letting in the water. A lot of SC's have this problem because it is a factory defect. Once i try it I will post some pics with hopefully good results.

On my 1993 GS300 I used McGreror scratchX and a buffer on my hand drill. I mask off with tape the sheetmetal paint around the lense. The car has 170,000 miles and is not garaged The lenses were like black holes no light could escape( relatively speaking ) and in less then three minutes each they are clear, not quite like new but very good for being almost 14 years old. I applied wax over the lenses because someone said it was a good idea.

So based on what I 've read it seems like most any abrasive will work but start with the least abrasive and go from there. if you gotto cook them in the oven to get to clean the inside, well what do you have to loose

On my 1993 GS300 I used McGreror scratchX and a buffer on my hand drill. I mask off with tape the sheetmetal paint around the lense. The car has 170,000 miles and is not garaged The lenses were like black holes no light could escape( relatively speaking ) and in less then three minutes each they are clear, not quite like new but very good for being almost 14 years old. I applied wax over the lenses because someone said it was a good idea.

So based on what I 've read it seems like most any abrasive will work but start with the least abrasive and go from there. if you gotto cook them in the oven to get to clean the inside, well what do you have to loose

What i did to clear my outsides was use an orbital waxer and scratch remover and just waxed each headlight for about 5-7 mins, They were clearer then i've ever seen, but unfortunately now i have to wax it again ever 2 months or so because a slight foggyness does come back. As for the inside, you can use an oven but that will just dry it out for that once. Next time you wash the car or it rains, you will have same exact thing. So the only thing to do is find and seal the hole.

JP

Thanks JP...I dorked around with only Maguire's PlastiX and it made a huge improvement, I can't wait to go all out!!!

The ine thing I can't seem to find is a clear vinyl bra kit. I get the craziest looks from the local AutoZone/O'Reilly's guys here...where should I look? ANyone? Bueller????

see ya guys , Joe P.