How Do I Get The Bugs Off My Car

I've been driving my car a lot on the highway and I got bugged big time. I can't really get the bugs off. I wash my car every week but I still can't get all the poor smashed-dead bugs off my front bumper...is there something I can use to get the them off? :cries:

Bug Carcasses:

They produce what acts like a super-adhesive on impact you almost need a crowbar to separate any of these substances from the paint, windshield or front end of your car. If left for any amount of time the acid will etch the glass or paint surface Take your time and be careful with its removal, they contain acids and should be removed and/or neutralized as quickly as possible.

Using an IPA (isopropyl alcohol) a non-ammonia based (ammonia acts as an acid accelerant) glass cleaner, or a gel alcohol hand cleaner (Purell®) place a small amount onto the immediate area, let dwell for about for 2-3 minutes or so and then either remove with a Pinnacle Bug Sponge (autogeek.net) or use detailers clay to encapsulate it, and flush with water to rinse away and wipe dry.

Avoid using a QD spray to flush residue, as they contain carnauba wax, which will seal the acid and not allow it to dissipate. Using an alkaline rinse of baking soda and water (to neutralize the acid) as soon as is practical is highly recommended, if the paint or glass surface has been etched the surface can be levelled with a suitable polish and then apply a paint protection.

JonM

Most of the time the touchless car wash will take most of the bugs off, if you do it soon after a trip.

For stubborn bugs, I use the brush with blue soap and then rinse with the high pressure washer at the do it yourself car wash.

You can us a very light coating of PAM cooking spray prior to a trip and the bugs won't stick. It's pretty easy then to wash off the bugs and PAM when you are ready. (Don't use the butter flavor PAM, though or your car will smell like popcorn :D )

Please don't use those brushes at do it yourself carwashes! They're very harsh and full of ALL kinds of dirt and will destroy the paint on the front of your car.

As for the pam, be sure the pam doesn't contain anything that it itself would etch the paint.

A lot of times those removers won't help with bugs that have been on the paint for an extended period of time. You also have to be careful with how you apply the product and remove it because the residue can have abrasives in it.

A lot of times those removers won't help with bugs that have been on the paint for an extended period of time. You also have to be careful with how you apply the product and remove it because the residue can have abrasives in it.

The kind i use is a spray bottle like spraypaint. That's how it's applied and light rubbing with a damp towel takes them off very well. Although i haven't tried it with bugs caked on for weeks and weeks in the heat etc...

I strongly endorse the use of a good microfiber towel. I was able to remove bug residue, some of it quite old, off the front of my father's car with just regular car washing soap, water, and a microfiber towel. It took several passes, but the microfiber is great for grabbing onto stuff better than your car's paint and pulling it off. Be careful to turn the towel frequently to keep a clean part of the towel on the car so that you minimize the scratch potential.

Go to a power washer ,select the soap cycle and angle the head about 1 inch from the area and it removes most if not all of it.

The best way is prevention by waxing the front end.

Other than that get a clear bra which is very easy to remove anything from.

had the same bug crushing problem on my 2003 sc 430. problem solved with professional installation of 3m clear bra. they cautioned that the darker the paint, mines amathyst , the more imperfections would show. i went ahead any way and am very happy with the non-look and the way even baked on grasshoppers easily wash off

• 5 weeks later...
had the same bug crushing problem on my 2003 sc 430. problem solved with professional installation of 3m clear bra. they cautioned that the darker the paint, mines amathyst , the more imperfections would show. i went ahead any way and am very happy with the non-look and the way even baked on grasshoppers easily wash off

I use Baking Soda, just wet you fingers and stick them in the powder, and rub the bugs right off - And it doesn't harm the paint!