'95 Ls Doesn't Have A Tranny Pan Gasket?

blake918

I've been wanting to change the transmission filter on my LS primarily since it probably hasn't ever been changed in its entire life, and I'm hoping that it might lessen my harsh engagment problem. I emailed Irontoad(Thompson Lexus in PA. I couldn't find it on Park Place's site) for a price on the tranny pan gasket. However, they wrote me back saying such a thing doesn't exist-it's just silicone. I saw 92lex's tutorial in the maint forum, and he changed the gasket on his '91. Here's the message:

Blake

Here are the price quotes that you have requested for your...

1995 LS400...

Trans pan F.P.I.G 00295-01281---$16.30

**its not a gasket, but the silicone.

Any thoughts??

:cheers:

That's correct, there is no paper gasket.

FIPG stands for Formed In Place Gasket.

When I did my tranny pan on my SC I used it.

It was a red cream like material. It worked great.

Be careful not to tighten your pan bolts too much and squeeze out all of the material. I believe the torque spec on mine were 20 in/lb.

Then you let that material dry for at least 15 hours (I think). Overnight is good, then you can refill the fluid.

The stuff is good. It took a lot of force to get my pan off.

Tom

When I bought the tranny filter it came with a rubber gasket for the pan. Originally there was high temp sealant when I pulled the pan off...I just scraped that away and replaced it with the rubber gasket that came with the purchase of the transmission filter.

FIPG is good stuff...I had a little trouble trying to remove the pan because the sealant was holding it on real good. If you're going to use the sealant make sure you clean up the area real good before applying it.

Blake,

Do you have a manual???.........(I think you do....)

If not, I"ll email ya my stuff...............

Anyway, yeah - the torque specs are very little (65 inch lbs...for my 99)

and the filter was only 7 ft. lbs....

So....easy does it....

I do, but they are at home(which is where the job will be done). Thanks so much for the offer!! :D 7 foot lbs... lol! I've got a laundry list of things to take care of on the LS that I plan to do over the Thanksgiving break...new seat belt, seat belt buckle, rear door lock actuator(I thought this was only supposed to happen to MB/BMW?? lmao), ect pwr button(I never use it, but it annoys the hell out of me knowing that it is broken), oil and filter change, oil drain plug gasket replacement, tranny fluid and filter change, air filter replacement, cabin filter, and replace speedometer lense that's been sitting in the garage since July!

Does anyone know what the recommended interval is for changing the tranny filter? I gave an estimate of 100-150k in my write-up, I couldn't find any info on it in my manuals.

Technically, the 90-94's don't have a gasket either, they use that sealant stuff you're talking about. It explains why you only need to torque each bolt to 65 in-lb.

Does anyone know what the recommended interval is for changing the tranny filter?  I gave an estimate of 100-150k in my write-up, I couldn't find any info on it in my manuals.

Technically, the 90-94's don't have a gasket either, they use that sealant stuff you're talking about.  It explains why you only need to torque each bolt to 65 in-lb.

For a normal car the interval to check tranny oil/filter is something like 36months/36k miles. These LS' aren't normal cars though...I don't see anything in my manual either...I think only a pan drain is required.

Does anyone know what the recommended interval is for changing the tranny filter?  I gave an estimate of 100-150k in my write-up, I couldn't find any info on it in my manuals.

100-150,000 miles is a good rule of thumb interval to CLEAN the tranny filter. It's really a metal filter screen so it never wears out. Just clean it up with brake cleaner. Toyota has used metal filter screens for 30 years in all it's automatics. Toyota has also always used magnets in the transmission pan to trap steel wear particles. Clean these too. I find the FIPG messy and tedious to use. So like 92Lex, I use a rubber pan gasket instead and have never have had any leakage problems. Actually, I confess I like to use a little FIPG, but only to glue the rubber gasket to the pan to ease installation of the pan.