Power Port / Cigarette Lighter

I want to charge my cell phone while I'm in my office. Is there a way to make either the power port or the cigarette lighter active without having the ignition key on? By the way, I have the es300

of course theres a way but if your not mechanically inclined i wouldnt try it.all you really have to do is run a new line to either the power port or the ciggerette lighter strait from the battery this way its allways on.i would put a fuse in between the new line if you do plan to do it though.if not do what steve said and just get a charger for the office.

I wouldn't reccomend charging your cell phone in the car while its not running anyways. Cell phones don't draw a lot of power but they draw enough to completely drain the battery over time, especially if its cold.

It is a waste of time to try and charge a cell phone battery from a car battery

yes it works but without a full 14.4 vdc it will be slow and never get anywhere close to 100%

get another office charger instead

If you need to leave your phone connected to a DC charger all day, it sounds like either your phone or its battery has a problem or that your phone is of an older design. Most modern cell phone batteries charge very quickly. 10 minutes in our car kit cradles to and from work each day is far more than is needed to keep our phones fully charged. Although phone car kits used to commonly be connected to an ignition switched hot wire, many installers now connect them to a non-switched source - probably because they draw so little current compared to the old phones. Using a car kit makes it easier to keep your phone charged and, with many phones, means that you do not have to move your hands from the steering wheel (or your eyes from the road!) to answer and end a call. Granted, car kits are a lot more popular in the U.K. and Europe where talking on a handheld phone while driving can draw $1,000+ fines. A good sources of information on the use of handheld phones in cars is the website for U.K. company SIO Communications.

I would suggest going to http://cellphoneshop.net and purchasing a new charger.

They are not OEM parts, but i've purchased chargers, etc. from them over the years for all my phones (i'm a gadget fanatic 2+ new cell phones a year), and they work just fine - they don't damage the battery or anything like that, and they're cheap enough to keeep one charger at home, one at the office, and one just to keep as a spare. (they are like $5 each - can't beat that pricing)

--Antonio

granell, here is my 2 cents worth. I would run a wire from the outlet to the backside of the fuse block to a spot that is hot all of the time, make sure you are connecting to the side that would be proctected if the fuse blows. All you need is a test light, some wire and some common sence. Let us know what you end up doing. I am going to do this to my wifes new minivan.