Gas Mileage

The one I ride on the street from time to time is legal; it's an 83 Honda XL250R-the only 4 stroke bike I own. Aside from that, my arsenal includes my first love, the one that started it all and still puts a smile on my face, an orange metallic 1972 Yamaha AT-1 125cc; I brought it back from the dead and I wouldn't sell it for the world. Then, I got a combo deal; a 1985 Kawasaki KDX200 (nice bike if it'd work right) AND a 1975 Kawasaki KX400 (2 stroke; a DEATH MACHINE! Most wicked dirtbike I've ever ridden, and probably one of the rarest ones out there-it was STRICTLY for pros, and for good reason) both for $700. The KDX is a mystery to me; I never have gotten it to run right for more than one ride, but man if it would...anyhow, then we found 2 Yamahas for sale on the side of the road-50 bucks brought em both home with us. They were the worst we'd seen yet; a 1969 AT-1 like the one I have, and a 1973 CT-175. Motors siezed up on both of them, both totally overcome with rust, but both complete. A few dozen hours work and the 1969 was in perfect condition and went on eBay; got over 1000 for that one (pretty good considering we got it for 25 and spent next to nothing on it) and I'm still yet to fly into the 175 this summer. It may be a lost cause, but I'm hoping not. Anyway, yeah, as you can tell, I'm into the older stuff, but I just LOVE bringin em back to life; the Yamahas are beautiful machines. The classic image of an Enduro/dirtbike in my opinion. I'll see if I can't get some pics of all my bikes together. Oh, forgot to mention daddy's bike, making a grand total of 7 bikes at my house, a 1998 Honda Shadow Touring 1100. No Harley, much to dad's dismay, but a danm nice ride if ya ask me B)

Nice bike steviej :) In the States, are all bikers pretty buddy-buddy and wave at each other on the street? They do that here in Ontario . . . it is kind of neat. Once in a while a big bad Harley biker will ignore me, but even among them, most of them still wave. I am still relatively new to biking. I am 21 and just got my license when I was 19. I got my Dad to get his license at the same time so that I could insure the bike under his name. That brought the insurance from $2400CAN/yr to $400CAN/yr ! My bike is only a 250cc, but that shouldn't fool people. Because it only weighs about 350 lbs, it can still go like snot. It only has like 20 hp or something, but it is still quicker than any car I have ever driven. A friend of mine has a GSXR1000, and that thing is absolutely INSANE! I think it weighs about the same as my bike, but has like 150hp!!! I think it is (or was) the fastest stock motorcycle available. It is FAST!!!

And Lex, it sounds like you really know your way around a bike :) Once you ride a bike once, I think you are hooked for life. If you ever sell your bike, you'll just end up wanting another one again :) If your bike is road legal, you should get it insured and ride it around . . . that would be sweet B)

Regards,

Bryan

yeah, we wave to one another. Kinda a down low five rather than a high five.

If a Harley owner doesn't wave, it means that he needs both hands to hold the bike together or something will fall off. so I was told. :whistles:

steviej

Lex3486, my dad's got a 1983 Honda CM400T. That is the bike I learned on.

We go ridin together all the time. Kind of a cool thing.

yeah, we wave to one another. Kinda a down low five rather than a high five.

If a Harley owner doesn't wave, it means that he needs both hands to hold the bike together or something will fall off. so I was told. :whistles:

steviej

Lex3486, my dad's got a 1983 Honda CM400T. That is the bike I learned on.

We go ridin together all the time. Kind of a cool thing.

Haha!! :lol:

Are there build quality issues with the Harley Davidsons?

Bryan

bdonkersgoed - I have a GSX-R1100 and it is ok fast, not crazy. It seems that all the 1/4 bike are like around 10 seconds. Now the thing that separates the boys from the men is the top speed. My is only 172 :(

Picture link is below:

http://home.comcast.net/~mburnickas/Bike/gsxr.htm

The problem with Harley’s is that they look sweet, speed sucks, always messing with them because the things never go longer then 2 weeks with have the tighten this, mod that. Etc

The thing that kills me is that they all love the sound of the bikes. Try to ride more then 30 minutes riding in a pack. What a total pain in the !Removed! these bikes are. It is so annoying to here the damn loud pipes giving you a headache. …JUNK

Very nice bike mburnickas! It is the same colour scheme as my friend's bike, but my friend's bike is a little newer. I think he has a 2002 model or something. You say that your bike goes "only" 172mph? Haha :lol: You should try mine. It only goes 103mph (or I can get it up to 106mph if I duck down to reduce wind resistance :P )

I don't know the top speed of y friend's GSXR-1000 . . . but it's pretty fast. His bike weights just a little more than my 250cc Ninja, and has like 7.5x the horsepower :o

Happy riding!

Bryan

Well my parents had a BMW R850R; totally sweet bike. At that point, I wanted to ride but my parents said it'd be a cold day in hell that I'd ever ride a motorcycle :unsure: Then I found the Yamaha and I guess they didn't think there was a prayer of it ever running again (I had to push it home lol) so they let me buy it, and it all started there. They still won't let me get my license though; that's good I guess b/c I can't afford any nicer bikes and my XL250 only does like 65-70 tops, and even that fast is pretty scary on that bike :lol: I occasionally ride a bud's Kawasaki ZX6R. Just a 636cc but man I love it! I could easily get addicted to a streetbike hehe. B)

Hey Lex,

My parents weren't the problem in getting my bike license. I got my Dad to get his license too so that I could get cheap insurance B) My sister-in-law is still totally against my bike riding . . . she fears for my saftey on the road.

The funny thing is that the only time my Dad has driven on the ghway was on his way to his motorcycle driving test :P I don't know why he doesn't ride more often, because he does enjoy it.

You parents seem to have a bit of a grip on you yet . . . just out of curiousity, how old are you Lex?

Regards,

Bryan