91 Ls400 Valve's Tick Tick Ticking

splitslim

Can someone please be so kind as to send me or post the maintenance procedure for adjusting the valves on a 1991 LS400? This ticking is driving me nuts! Sounds like a Rabbit diesel from the 80's!

Appreciate it, thanks,

SS

Come on guys, it can't be that hard....especially after taking half my engine apart yesterday to change the alternator, timing belt, spark plugs, wires, etc, etc, etc....how much harder could valve adjustments be? :D

it's not a hard job to do, the hard part is getting a hold of a set of shims to do it. all you need is a can of compressed air, the kind for cleaning computer keyboards, the spring compression tool, and the set of shims to do the job. you use the compressed air to pop the shims out after you compress the spring after measureing the gap. replace it with the proper sized shim and move on to the next spring. If you can get a lexus repair manual it has a section in there on how to do the job right, but you still need to get a hold of the shims.

The first step is to measure the clearances on all 32 valves. It's possible all your valves are within specs and you won't need any shims.

Lexus dealers are crazy to charge $30 for shims since Toyota dealers charge only $5-6 and discount Toyota dealers only $3-4.

If any clearances are out of spec you need a hardware store type micrometer to measure the thickness of the existing shim and a valve lifter depressing tool and a tool to hold the lifter depressed while you remove the shim with a magnetic finger or small screwdriver. OTC Tools carries these tool kits. Do a Google search for OTC tools to locate them.

Lexus dealers are crazy to charge $30 for shims since Toyota dealers charge only $5-6 and discount Toyota dealers only $3-4.

I will make sure about this by asking the Toyota Dealer in my city. They have Lexus parts? What do I ask them, [that I need valve adjusting shimmes]? How much do you think the lexus dealer or Toyota dealers will take $ for doing this job? how much $ if done by a realiable small machanic?