Is this a good price on a CPO 2015 RX-350?

Hello. Prospective 2015 Lexus RX-350 owners here, just want to make sure we’re getting a decent deal on a CPO 2015 RX-350.  We live near Virginia Beach, VA.  My wife is set on a ’15 RX-350, and the dealer has a few coming from the loaner fleet. The one she’s interested in is silver, grey interior, DVD/NAV, comfort & premium pkg, remote start, HID headlights, loaded. We test drove a different ’15 last Saturday and are happy with the model, over the ’14.  This one has 19,000 miles, and they’re cleaning it up for us to see on Saturday.  Dealer is asking $43,680 before taxes, etc. It seems high by about $800 on some sites, and in comparison to dealers in Richmond.  We have yet to see it, but of course if it has problems, we walk away.  Is this a decent deal, or should we negotiate?  I’ve read that dealers don’t have much margin on these service loaners.  It is CPO, and the warranty goes to Oct 2020. 

Thanks.

Bill      

Is it as good as this 2015 RX350 with 11,000 miles for $36,000 and change from a Mercedes dealer in Annapolis?  http://www.kbb.com/cars-for-sale/421430227/?totalresults=19&index=1&atcmake=lexus&searchtype=all&zipcode=&year=2015&atcmodelcode=rx300%7crx330%7crx350%7crx400h%7crx450h&distance=150

I've always found CPO Lexus vehicles to be way overpriced.  I've only bought one used car since the 1970's with the only one being a 2000 Lexus LS400 I bought in 2003 for $9,000 less than what the Lexus dealer wanted for two CPO 2000 LS400's with about the same miles that were not as well equipped.

I wonder if you could get a new 2016 RX350 for about the same price as that 2015.  If you are interested in a 2016, consider using a buying service.  I doubt if I will ever buy a new vehicle again without going through one.

Hi,

In 2013, We purchased a new RX 350. The MSRP on the window was $50,000. It was equipped much like what your looking at. Some members say a 10% drop in the MSRP is a good deal. I think you would be more ahead by purchasing a new 2016 with a full 4 year warranty. Also, a one model year car with 19,000 miles is high for one year of driving

Also, remember the RX model has been Lexus best selling model since it came out well over 10 years ago. So it's pretty hard to wrestle the dealer down much since they sell the RX like popcorn at the movies.

Enjoy your new ride. We love our RX.

Paul

PS:  If you have any questions ask Jim up above this thread. He's not very handsome but he knows about 100% more than I do......LOL.

Thanks, both of you, for your inputs.   We think these are in demand in the area, and the dealer can probably get away with some overcharging.   As far as the 2016, neither one of us cared for the grille re-design.   Plus there's a lot going on with the instrument cluster, it's like being in a F-18.   Great car, but those little things.  Maybe another look. 

The buying service would only help for the 2016...we can run numbers for the 2016 though. 

Thanks!

jamesm182,

You're right.  We test drove a re-conditioned service loaner '15 today, with 19,000 miles, and then drove a 2016.  Night and day difference.  My wife is now a Lexus owner!   She loves it.   The  technology is overwhelming.   I kept your comment in the back of my mind today.  Sure, we could have saved some money buying used, but we keep vehicles forever, so we are happy.    

Bill    

On 1/16, purchased CPO 2015 RX350 with 15k miles, white with all amenities, 19" wheels and tow package.  This was also a loaner vehicle from Lexus of Bridgewater in NJ.   Paid $38,900.   At the time, with 2016 on the way, Lexus offered 0.9% APR for 60 months.  

I think the price is way too high.   There is more than 2K profit and may be more if they are acquiring loaner vehicles.  Is there a trade-in and are they playing the numbers?

Offer them $41,000 and let them know you have a better offer elsewhere.  Pick a dealer name so it sounds as 'honest' as they are...No matter what you do, this is the best vehicle, bar none, you can own.  Agree with others that 2016 takes some getting used to and glad we got the 2015.

Good luck.

David

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like OP went with a new 2016, but will throw out.... on March 11, I bought a 2015 with about everything but comfort package (NAV/DVD, towing, premium, park assist, paint protection, tinted windows)... it was a little higher mileage, all highway, with 26k miles, but I bought it for $35,500 at a Ford dealer.  Had one Lexus dealer tell me they'd sell me a CPO vehicle and knock $1000 off if I didn't want it CPO'd.  Had others tell me it was worth $2k.

I couldn't bring myself to spend the money for the 2016, nor did I like the front end.  Glad the OP is happy.