Music On The Go

Can anyone recommend an in dash CD receiver to replace the factory radio and CD changer in the trunk? My SC400 is a 1992 and it is great shape except the CD changer in the trunk keeps skipping. I have replaced it once before so this time I would rather go with an in dash CD receiver. Any suggestions. I was looking at a Pioneer FH-P5000MP but I don’t know if it would fit. See link below. Thank you for you help.

Tony

Pioneer Electronics Inc

Pioneer Makes a New Double DIn Full size radio that will cover up pretty much the whole openeing in the front.

I personally went with alpine though due to the fact that i have a whole system including AMps and subs etc.

As for the Screen Yes that is an awsome shoiw piece. But pricey.

Look into that New Pioneer Double din Headunit has tape EQ and CD all built in.

Ill try to get u the link for it.

Thank for your reply. I did look up the New Pioneer Double din Head unit. What system (model number) of the Alpine Head unit and amp etc you are using if you have the time. I will like t look at maybe going with what you have or something similar if I could afford it.

Clarion and Alpine are really nice, but I'm with SouthernSC300, and go with a flushmount Touchscreen Kenwood, with Navi, changers(CD and DVD) in the trunk. Off course this is an expensive option, but sometimes you have to go all out, expecailly if you have to commute to work like I do. :cheers:

I'm saving up for the Kenwood, hopefully soon i can afford it :( I heard that when swapping head units you have to do something with the factory alarm system, otherwise your car won't start. Does anyone know anything about this, or would I have to take it to a shop to do it?

• 2 weeks later...

i have a 93 sc400 and i replaced the head, the rear speakers and the amplifier a couple of months ago. i don't like a changer so i got a kenwood cd player that came with a free sirius tuner. i had to buy the sirius antenna for $50.

supposedly anything in the back is a nuisance to work on and because backseat has to be removed.

satellite radio is really nice. i have sirius, but i'm sure xm is just as good. the kenwood head and speakers and the jl amplifier are nice but they aren't as robust as the nakamichi. what did it all cost? about $1200 plus a years service from sirius for about $150. that was including the installation at about $65/hour.

it was easily worth it since i spend so much time in the car. you could probably do it in stages to save some money. remember, there's going to be a big gap when you remove the OEM radio.

i've always gone to places like circuit city or best buy for an installation. this time i went to a regular adult installer - you know - career installers - and i was much happier with the results/advice/value for the money.

you should go with an apple IPOD. i picked up the 15GB for under $400 including all the extras: leather case, docking station, fm transmitter, remote control, etc. and have already added over 1500 songs. i still have room for 2000 more! it's basically an external harddrive that goes anywhere.

i will never be hassled with changing a cd again. the iPod allows you to make infinite playlists and search for music in innumerable ways. it connects with itunes (for mac or pc) and you can rip your entire cd library or download songs that you don't already have into your personal collection. plus, i never have to worry about some f#*% breaking my window to jack it since it's smaller than a palm pilot and goes with me when i leave my car.

there's an iPod that holds over 10,000 songs for around $500. that's more song selection than you'll ever need, and much better than paying $10 a month for satellite radio on top of several hundred bucks for a new system. a couple friends have XM and Sirius and I find the commercials to be annoying. even the commercial free stations don't play exactly what you want to hear when you want to hear it.

get the best portable music player out there and take control over your entertainment.

Alicias - where did they put the antenna for the sirius? Do you happen to know if there are any antennas that don't have to be mounted on the body of the car? I've seen them on the roof and trunk of many people's cars, but I don't think I would be happy with that.

Buying an Ipod doesn't seem that much cheaper to me. Although the player is only $400, you still have to pay for the music, whether you rip it from your own cd's, download it, etc. (unless you do it illegally of course :whistles: ). An aftermarket head unit, on the other hand, can be installed for $400, and 10 bucks a month gives you access to all types of new and old music, without having to download, rip, etc. I also like the fact that you don't choose what music you listen to, it exposes you to much more than you would be than choosing your own playlists. I guess it comes down to individual needs, but aftermarket head units and possibly satellite radio are the best choice for me.

The sirius antenna is mounted on the trunk lid. it looks like a dell mouse. i don't really like it to tell you the truth. i got it where i got the rest of the equipment/installation. it was about $50.

the ipod doesn't sound like a bad idea either.

I like the iPod suggestion the best, unless you are going the DVD/navi/touch screen route. The iPod will only cost you $400, plus you can take it anywhere. The second choice is if you have a bunch of money to spend. I am going the iPod route because I can take it in to either car I drive.

neil

I thought I'd add some comments.

I installed a Panasonic indash DVD pull out screen in my SC.

I am also using an ipod in it.

the TV tuner for the panasonic had2 vtr inputs, so i hooked it up with a Y adapter and voila.

I used a pocket kit that you can buy at goodguys or circuit city or any audio place. The kit was actually from my old car which was an Infiniti, when I looked at the kit instructions, it had adapters for Nissan, Toyota, Honda. So I screwed the pocket in on top, then the deck on the bottom tier. But then you have a gap of 1/2 din under, the only downside. But it's a pretty simple install, if you know what you're doing.

I'm not sure if you have to change your whole system though, since the factory speakers are amplified. I changed all of mine, so I don't know. You might be able to run wires to the factory speakers and power them from the deck. But I'm almost certain that you can't just hook up an aftermarket deck to the factory amplified system.

Hope that helps. :whistles:

Yeah Ipods are cool, but my point was that it's not cheaper when there are hundreds of different mp3 head units you can install for less money, or you can just get satellite radio and not have to even buy music to put onto the mp3 player, you just pay the monthly charge for a variety of different types of music. Plus I don't want to have to switch things between cars. but that's just my opinion.

Does anyone have pictures of their aftermarket head units online? Any ideas would be cool. Thanks :D

Can anyone recommend an in dash CD receiver to replace the factory radio and CD changer in the trunk? My SC400 is a 1992 and it is great shape except the CD changer in the trunk keeps skipping. I have replaced it once before so this time I would rather go with an in dash CD receiver. Any suggestions. I was looking at a Pioneer FH-P5000MP but I don’t know if it would fit. See link below. Thank you for you help.

Tony

Pioneer Electronics Inc

Hi,

I have a sc400 with Nakamishi sound system and I just installed a dension MP3 hard-disc player.

I connected the dension to the CD-changed input of the radio leaving the control-lines as before to fool the head-unit. The CD-Changer now plays the CD-s over and over again (I installed some old ones) but the sound is coming from the dension player.

The control unit for the Dension is installed just in front of the rear-view mirror.

The hard-disk unit is installed in the trunk of the car.

Now I have a 160GB hard-disk in my car that can store 2000 to 3000 CDs.

I think that this is a much better solution in a car then an iPod.

Albertv.