1999 Ls400 Starts Fine - Most Of The Time!

TheeSlowPoke

Most times when I start the engine, it fires up no problem. Ocassionally when I turn the key, it does nothing. Turn the key again, and it may start, do nothing, or slowly turn the engine over. If it didn't start or turned over slowly, then third time it spins over like nothing was wrong.

I did try searching for "start" and got through 4 of the 6 lists. When trying to view pages 5 and 6 the search comes up with a Ooops and a time to wait for the next search - couldn't get past page 4.

Thanks in advance for your help!

When you say it "does nothing", do you perhaps hear a single 'click'? If your battery or terminals were bad, you would usually hear a burst of clicks and not just one. You should do as Steve says and check the battery thoroughly and clean the terminals but if it is a single click at times, when you turn the key, your starter solenoid contacts are most likely near the end of life. The slow turning is also a classic symptom of high resistance contacts. Unfortunately, It is quite labor intensive to repair the starter.

How many miles are on the car and has the starter ever been replaced?

There are around 140,000 miles on it.

When I said nothing happens, I mean nothing, no click, no nothing (I must say I didn't pay attention to the dash when this happened - so, I can't say whether any lights were on/off, or whatever). It was like it was charging up each time I tried to start it - I know that makes no sense, but that is what it was like. Nothing, a little and then normal - sounds like either a bad connection (but I would think it would go the other way, i.e. the more you try it the higher the temp and resistance) or a bad cell in the battery, perhaps.

The battery may be going bad. I put a trickle charge on it last night (started below 2 amps ~1 A). This morning it was charging at around 3 amps. Now that I think about it, I should have put it on boost for a few minutes just to get the electrolyte moving a bit in case there are any flaking plates. I may try that later, if needed. Car started like normal after removing the charger.

Car started like normal the 6 times I had to start it today.

When I got home, I checked the voltage with the engine on = 14.17 volts. I checked the voltage with the engine off = settled down to 13.15 volts. At this point, it is hard to say.

I only brought it up with you folks in case this was a common issue that was heading in a known direction.

I will update the post as it progresses.

After charging the battery over night, I haven't had a problem since. As the weather is starting to warm up, it may take a while for the battery to discharge again. I have never had a car behave like that due to a low battery. It could be a loose connection. I checked the easy to get at connections and am too lazy to search further until it happens again.

• 4 months later...

Well, I had to try it about 10 times before it actually started yesterday. I had ordered the starter kit a while back, "just in case". So, today I took it apart and found the contacts to indeed be worn and only making contact in a couple places. Figured ah ha, that has to be it. I replaced the contacts and the plunger. Put it all back together and nothing. Well, not nothing but, not starting.

The starter relay clicks. It also sounds like the starter solenoid is trying to pull in but just isn't quite making it. Too bad I filled it with anti-freeze before trying it! Oh well, back at it...

Spins like a top, now!

As soon as I pulled the intake back off, I noticed that I somehow forgot to plug in the solenoid wire connector. I put it all back together and this time it starts perfectly.

I didn't have the torque specs for the cross tube nor for the intake. I had to re-use the cross tube gasket "and have my fingers crossed that it won't leak". I put new intake gaskets on and torqued to 18 ft-lbs, not knowing.

I thought I was doing big things by showing my 14 yr old son how to do this. But, I think I traumatized him by having him included in this effort. Poor guy, he was totally deflated that it wouldn't start after the first attempt. He had to go to bed, as it was getting late - I told him to not feel bad and that it just means we (I) get to learn something more. It's all back together - when he gets up tomorrow morning it will look the same as when he went to bed, except now it starts!

I doubt you traumatized him LOL. In fact as he gets a bit older he'll realize that your "get it done" attitude is valuable thing. It's a great example to him.

Nice job - well done.