The Pursuit Of Quietness

skyview

Greetings,

I have 95 LS with 89K. When sitting in the driver's seat I hear what appears to be wind noise coming from the right side of the car. However; when I sit in the passenger's seat, the noise doesn't appear to be coming from the passenger's window or door.

My wife also noticed the same sound while driving but doesn't when she is riding in the passenger's seat. She thought it could be coming from the upper portion of the windshield. I checked the weatherstripping on the door and it looks fine.

What could this be? Sun roof? Windshield?

Is their a known problem with 95s and wind noise? :whistles:

H E L P! P L E A S E!!!

Any ideas on how to track this down.....

skyview - more than likely it is the sunroof. On my 1994, I get a small amount of wind noise from the sunroof as the seal over time begins to breakdown. One thing is that if you use the tilt on the sunroof and then close, you can break the seal on the front of the sunroof. When closing the tilt, then open the sunroof a ways and close. This will reseal the front seal. I do this sometimes if using tilt and it seems to solve any wind noise.

Good luck....

I recently traced some noise to the bottom of the pass. door.

Get a roll of some dense foam weather seal at a hdwr store and stick to the existing seals on the bottom of the door{assuming that is where your noise is].

it cannot be seen--fixed some of it but I think not all. this was like 1/4-3/8 x 3/32

You can get some tape and tape the gaps on the outside of the door and go driving. it will be quiet at the gap that the leak might be--same on sunroof. doing an unobvious fix is another thing.

sky--sorry, misread about the glue!!! the elec. tape won't leave any glue.

you need to keep 3-m adhesive remover anyway think it is #08984 it is something you shouldn't be without. I use it about 2 times per week--week in and week out!!! almost removes anything without harming any paint etc.

I use Armoral, 303, or whatever; messy,etc. but over the years assume it works; have had some neglected things that I didn't treat where the rubbber completed rotted away. you should use whenever you wax the car(every 3 mo?).

suggest you go down to the 'care' forum(scroll/click at bottom of page). good stuff there.

• 4 months later...
Greetings,

I have 95 LS with 89K. When sitting in the driver's seat I hear what appears to be wind noise coming from the right side of the car. However; when I sit in the passenger's seat, the noise doesn't appear to be coming from the passenger's window or door.

My wife also noticed the same sound while driving but doesn't when she is riding in the passenger's seat. She thought it could be coming from the upper portion of the windshield. I checked the weatherstripping on the door and it looks fine.

What could this be? Sun roof? Windshield?

Is their a known problem with 95s and wind noise? :whistles:

H E L P! P L E A S E!!!

Any ideas on how to track this down.....

Dear SKYVIEW,

I can think of few possible place that make such noise.

1) Driver side air conditioner vent (near to side mirror) has a flap for closing/opening of air. The flap holds sponge like material which blocks the aircon air when flap is closed but this sponge like material hardens as it ages, as a result of hardening it crack into small flake and blown out during aircon use. Often this is where wind noise comes from. Use a torch or park your car under bright daylight and take a look and try to turn the flap open & close.

2) There is a spare part called steering shaft inner cover. This covers your steering shaft and block outside noises from engine. Interestingly, this cover is placed right at the driver side thus allowing the noise to penetrate in. Check and see if it is broken. Not expensive.

I hope you get rid of the noise.