Gs 430 Hesitates

Hello

I just bought a 2001 GS 430. It has 134K miles on it. It came with few problems. One of the problems is that car hesitates to move from stopped position or for that matter whenever you hit the accelerator it ignores first 20% of the accelerator, then it starts with a jerk. I asked the dealer today and they say it is an expected behavior. It seems transmission has intelligence built in to it to adjust to driver’s driving style. They asked me to use it for some time for it to set to my driving style.

I was enquiring about the accelerator pedal replacement and gad additive like Chevron Techron Concentrate as mentioned in this forum under some topic. They say none of them are necessary.

I hope it works out soon.

Also, are the part sold by parts.com genuine OEM?

Thanks

Yeah, parts.com parts are OEM... i just recently purchased a bumper from them, totally OEM.

I have a similar hesitation in my Rx400h- i think it's due to the fact that most newer Lexus models all controlled electronically rather than directly with a cable. When you hit the has pedal, you're just moving a switch that tells the computer what to do. There's a little delay as the computer needs to determine if it's safe to WOT.

Try to find out of the GS is one of those, or if it still uses the drive by cable method... i could be totally wrong.

I believe in 01 Toyota/Lexus were still using a mechanical linkage to the engine from the throttle. I think they changed around '05. That sort of hesitaion is not normal especially if it is accompanied by jerking and stuttering. When was the last time it had a tune up? Do you have some info on the service history? That might be a good place to start.

Hello

I just bought a 2001 GS 430. It has 134K miles on it. It came with few problems. One of the problems is that car hesitates to move from stopped position or for that matter whenever you hit the accelerator it ignores first 20% of the accelerator, then it starts with a jerk. I asked the dealer today and they say it is an expected behavior. It seems transmission has intelligence built in to it to adjust to driver’s driving style. They asked me to use it for some time for it to set to my driving style.

I was enquiring about the accelerator pedal replacement and gad additive like Chevron Techron Concentrate as mentioned in this forum under some topic. They say none of them are necessary.

Thanks

So the dealer is saying that with it's adaptive intelligence the last owner put the car into drive and then floored the gas pedal every time and now the car has adjusted to this style of driving, sounds like something that comes out of a bull's back end.

I agree with the others I don't think the 01 has DBW it was around 2005 when it was introduced along with I believe the Toyota K Can bus system/diagnostics.

I believe in 01 Toyota/Lexus were still using a mechanical linkage to the engine from the throttle. I think they changed around '05.

Well ... my 00 LS400 has an electronic throttle system including a Pedal Position Sensor, a Throttle Position Sensor, and a Throttle Control Motor that does "the dirty work". My understanding is that any Lexus or Toyota with VSC has an electronic throttle system. How else could VSC take control of the throttle when it senses a skid?

As I found last Spring, when one of these components fails, the throttle becomes erratic -- sometimes the gas pedal does nothing at all and other times the gas pedal works for a few seconds and then stops working for a few seconds.

Hello

Thanks

Had a similar problem with my 99 GS300. Disconnect the battery for 10-15 minutes to reset the memory and see what happens.

Last three posts, I agree with. I too have an 01 GS430, and I know the "mushy" feeling you're talking about. Pull the battery for a few minutes to reset. Also, probably time to change the plugs, clean out the throttle body (easy to do), and just give it a basic tune up. Probably want to change the transmission fluild as well (if it hasn't been done in a while). Mine, doesn't exactly ignore the first 20% of the peddle pressure, but the car definetly requires more throttle input travel then all of my other cars have in the past. I think it's probably that way to prevent you from spinning out all the time. 300hp on those back wheels is no joke. Just wait until it rains, you'll know what I'm talking about! DON'T turn off the traction control, it's your friend. Took mine out on an empty and wide road a few months ago, slight rain, going about 40mph. I stomped on it, and even at that speed, the back wheels broke loose instantly and the traction control prevented me from wrecking the car. My tires (Goodyear Eagle GT3's) aren't in bad shape either. Woke me up, that's for sure.

At those miles, you'll need to do a couple of minor things to bring her back to new status. Nothing major, just some fresh OEM juices in the system, some plugs, and clean her up a tad. She'll purr like a kitty cat on speed! PS: I would also consider buying two engine mounts and a transmission mount too. Even if you don't think you need them, at 9 years of age, I'm quite confident in saying that you probably do. I did, and I only have 60k miles on mine. Made a night and day difference in the overall feel of the car, night and day. I have to look down at the tach sometimes when I'm at a stop light just to make sure the engine is on.

• 1 month later...

Hello All,

Thanks for the response. Finally I was able to do some work done. Replaced spark plugs with Denso Iridium and Air Filter. Lag is gone. I don't see hesitation. However I will try to clean throttle body and MAF. I still need to do the pending services such as timing belt, replace water pump, replace both upper and lower front arm controls, rear suspension struts, and transmission fluid change not flush( according to my service technician at the dealer)

Looking at the way it behaved, I would think that it should give some indication when air filter is so bad. Of course spark plug recommended replacement time is 120K miles.

Now this is so much of better.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

Thanks for the response. Finally I was able to do some work done. Replaced spark plugs with Denso Iridium and Air Filter. Lag is gone. I don't see hesitation. However I will try to clean throttle body and MAF. I still need to do the pending services such as timing belt, replace water pump, replace both upper and lower front arm controls, rear suspension struts, and transmission fluid change not flush( according to my service technician at the dealer)

Looking at the way it behaved, I would think that it should give some indication when air filter is so bad. Of course spark plug recommended replacement time is 120K miles.

Now this is so much of better.

Thanks again.

Last weekend I was able to do both MAF sensor clean and throttle body clean. Also used Chevron Techron. Car runs very well now. When I did the cleaning I disconnected negative terminal of the battery so ECU settings would get to reset. Also I had to replace throttle body gasket with a new one as it is not reusable. I fee that the power is restored completely. Some times when I hit the accelerator pedal hard with an intention to takeoff ECU tries to control the acceleration and that causes awkward delays. As others suggested in this forum, if anybody experiences poor or delayed acceleration on their high mileage car, I would suggest above repairs to begin with.

I still need to replace transmission oil, timing belt, water pump but I am not sure how much it will help in acceleration problems

• 11 months later...