Head Light Versus Fog Light

timzter

I noticed the other night that when the head lights and fog lights were both on, the head lights were bright white and the fog lights were yellowish white. I assume the bright white color of the head lights is due to the HID lamps. Is it possible to replace the fog lights with HID ones so as to have the same bright white hue?

As SW mentioned, you can install an HID kit, but beware as you're gonna have a TON of glare. You'll be blinding other drivers and not as much light will be going on the road as it will be going all over the place.

This is due to the fact that HID bulbs have a different focal point than halogen bulbs. Therefore the headlight reflector/projector units aren't interchangeable.

I don't mind the fog light not being HID. I just want it to have the same hue as the head lamp. Are there fog light choices where the lamp is not HID, but has a bright white hue?

I don't mind the fog light not being HID. I just want it to have the same hue as the head lamp. Are there fog light choices where the lamp is not HID, but has a bright white hue?

I suppose you could use some of those Sylvania Silverstar or other blue coated "junk bulbs" (my opinion) to get whiter light in your foglights -- it depends on whether you consider foglights to be a useful tool or a fashion accessory.

HID headlights usually put out a pleasant even blanket of light but they many including me find them to be a real problem in heavy blowing snow and driving rain. The white light of HID reflects off falling snowflakes and rain droplets and creates glare. The slightly yellowish light of halogen foglights cuts through ran and snow a little bit better than HID but better still are true yellow foglights with the yellow being produced by a yellow bulb shield in the foglight housing or a yellow lens.

As cduluk pointed out in a recent post "The yellow fogs came with any 99-05 GS300/430 that came with HID." The 99-05 GS with standard halogen headlights came with white (really a little yellowish) foglights. I sure wish they had done that on other models with HID like my 00 LS. I'd rather have yellow foglights with my HID.

The answer is not really. I have Sylvania Silverstars in my foglights and they look nothing like HIDs. Almost no difference from any other halogen light.

You really can't replicate the look of HIDs without installing HIDs.

• 4 weeks later...

Why would you go with HID if you're going with yellow? Why not just get halogen yellow bulbs? That's what i'm using as my fogs, PIAA ion yellow bulbs.

And the fact that it's digital doesn't mean anything...

Why would you go with HID if you're going with yellow? Why not just get halogen yellow bulbs? That's what i'm using as my fogs, PIAA ion yellow bulbs.

And the fact that it's digital doesn't mean anything...

Many believe that yellow fog lights offer better vision than bright white or bluish lights (there is less perceived glare because of the

characteristics of the cones/rods in the retina of the eye, and the difference in light values are thus better seen)/ They al;so blind oncoming drivers less.

What you do not want in fog and snow storms is too much reflected light back to you. This makes driving uncomfortable, distinction of objects more difficult, and tires the eye faster.

• 4 months later...

The one feature of the Lincoln Zephyr I traded for the ES was the fact I could run with park and fog lights on, and headlights off, which to my mind is ideal in snow/fog conditions. Low/flat fog lights minimize the glare you get from the headlights; the Zephyr was the only car since auto-headlights that I've been able to run only fogs & running lights.

The one feature of the Lincoln Zephyr I traded for the ES was the fact I could run with park and fog lights on, and headlights off, which to my mind is ideal in snow/fog conditions. Low/flat fog lights minimize the glare you get from the headlights; the Zephyr was the only car since auto-headlights that I've been able to run only fogs & running lights.

I'm surprised Lincoln would design a car like that, being the configuration of parking & fog lights on without headlamps is illegal (at least in California). Any vehicle I have had will not let me activate the fog lights without the headlights being on.

Reference:

Foglamps

24403. (a) A motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two foglamps that may be used with, but may not be used in substitution of, headlamps.

V C Section 24800 Lighted Parking Lamps

Lighted Parking Lamps

24800. No vehicle shall be driven at any time with the parking lamps lighted except when the lamps are being used as turn signal lamps or when the headlamps are also lighted.

I'm surprised Lincoln would design a car like that, being the configuration of parking & fog lights on without headlamps is illegal (at least in California). Any vehicle I have had will not let me activate the fog lights without the headlights being on.

Reference:

Foglamps

24403. (a) A motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two foglamps that may be used with, but may not be used in substitution of, headlamps.

V C Section 24800 Lighted Parking Lamps

Lighted Parking Lamps

24800. No vehicle shall be driven at any time with the parking lamps lighted except when the lamps are being used as turn signal lamps or when the headlamps are also lighted.

My 05 ES has the standard halogen headlights and fogs. However, my 07 Volvo S80 has Xenon headlights and white fogs. I like them no better and no worse than my Lexus with one exception that probably dosen't apply to those of you in large metro areas. When driving on country roads at night, the Xenon lights can light up a deer a 1/4 mile away. That beats the lexus headlight and has saved me a lot of near death experiences. I don't mind the snow as much as I mind a herd of 200 pound deer flying over the hood and through the windshield.

• 1 month later...