Voice Recognition Sucks

timzter

I must say that while I love my new 2010 ES 350, the voice recognition for hands-free dialing sucks. I have downloaded my contact list from my iPhone to the system and most of the time, the system could not recognize what I say. I said, "Helen" even "Hell-Len" and it thought I want "Help". Have you guys found the voice recognition to be sub-par as well?

I must say that while I love my new 2010 ES 350, the voice recognition for hands-free dialing sucks. I have downloaded my contact list from my iPhone to the system and most of the time, the system could not recognize what I say. I said, "Helen" even "Hell-Len" and it thought I want "Help". Have you guys found the voice recognition to be sub-par as well?

Use 2-3 words.

I use three words and it works great.

Example:Call Cindy Mobile.

Use 2-3 words.

I use three words and it works great.

Example:Call Cindy Mobile.

OK, you're right. I added Helen's last name to my iPhone and re-downloaded it to my 350's Nav system and it could recognize the name now.

I don't think the HDD system is going to help the voice recognition...the nav I like, its the just voice recognition that leaves a lot to be desired.

Well,all I can say is I've read and heard the voice recognition is better in the '10's.My '09 RX doesn't have NAV so I don't know how true that is. :)

I have a 2007 ES-350 and that is one of the things that I complainted about to Lexus in their survey and to the dealer. I had hoped they would listen and make improvements to the system however it appears from your comments they did not........ Well what new - they seem to have gotten to big to listen to what the customers are saying.......... Brian in NH

They did make improvements, and the feedback is better, telling you what available commands/options you have a any given point. I felt it was better and a little faster pace, not as frustrating. I have used voice recognition on cell phones, and the car, and I do believe it is adequate. Can it improve, absolutely. But it is hard enough to understand someone talking to you from a cell phone, can you imagine how hard it is for software to make out what you are saying? The other day I was driving up to Phoenix, and although I struggled a little bit because I did not know exactly how to do it, I was able to enter a destination while still driving on the highway. It worked really well when I knew how to enter the destination using voice commands... I tell you what though, the voice recognition on the Droid has yet to fail me!

When I press the voice button on the steering wheel, the voice gives a long list of possible voice requests. Is there a way to avoid the list and the long delay that involves having the voice read through the list? If I want to make a simple phone call it takes forever. I have to wait for the voice to read ten options, then I select phone, then it reads off a number of options for the phone.

When I press the voice button on the steering wheel, the voice gives a long list of possible voice requests. Is there a way to avoid the list and the long delay that involves having the voice read through the list? If I want to make a simple phone call it takes forever. I have to wait for the voice to read ten options, then I select phone, then it reads off a number of options for the phone.

At least if you have NAV, in page 44 of the manual there is a note that says

Voice guidance for the voice command

system can be skipped by

pushing the talk switch.

My two cents:

I think the voice recognition works fantastic 99% of the times. The one thing I did notice was that the noise reduction algorithm seems to work a little 'too well' sometimes. How well? The turn signal indicator and the wiper noise is a bit louder in my car than my wife's G37's. However, I can hear all her signaling and wiper noise clearly whereas she can't hear any of mine. But the down side of it is, when it tries to rub some of that noise out, it tends to rub some of the softer tones of your voice out as well. She reported that parts of my speech were staccato. I remedied this a good deal by adjusting the microphone sensitivity higher I believe? Can't remember the exact steps but I would search the forum on that and try it to see if it helps.

The only annoyance I see is the fact that you have to listen to all the junk the lady instructs you to say. I removed the speech on the initial press of the 'Talk' button through the menu system but after you input any voice command, it still makes you wait for the damn lady to speak what you already heard 1 billion times or it won't let you press the buttons you need to press. (ie. Dial by Number - after you input the number, you still have to wait for the lady to say the '##########, when you are ready, please press the talk button or press the off hook switch to dial'). And I think if you press the 'Talk' button before she finishes, it goes back to asking you for a number to dial... THAT'S frustrating.

Just an observation from yesterday. After I led the system using voice commands only to successfully pick the person I wanted to call, it said something like, "Press the off-hook icon or say 'Dial' to dial the number." After the beep that followed, I said, "Dial". It responded, "Help...blah blah." It thought I said "Help!" No, I do not have a speech impediment. I definitely said "Dial." My AC was not on, so no fan was blowing. After a few more tries and raising my voice to almost shouting level, it then understood "Dial". Pfft!

• 2 months later...

The system just sucks. Just wait until you try to add a city name while programming navigation. We have a lot of Native American names of cities and it just cannot understand. Sometimes it is funny what it thinks I said, and then sometimes I want to punch the screen, and then I get insecure that I must talk funny. lol.

As long as I say call, name, and use the word mobile/cell or home it works fine just by pushing voice button on steering wheel. I do not have to go through any commands. Also, while driving you can input navigation info, provided you go to the screen and override the system which is defaulted as a safety concern.

On my 2010 ES 350, this feature is disabled as follows by pushing the following buttons and options: setup-voice-voice recognition guidance-off-save. It is found in the interactive DVD which comes with the Lexus but is not in the manual. If only it was this easy to override the navigation system. However, the voice recognition system still sucks. For example, you can't use the voice command to zoom in or out while the vehicle is moving, yet you can do it manually. This seems to defy Lexus' logic for using voice commands in the first place. I never use it now.

My two cents:

I think the voice recognition works fantastic 99% of the times. The one thing I did notice was that the noise reduction algorithm seems to work a little 'too well' sometimes. How well? The turn signal indicator and the wiper noise is a bit louder in my car than my wife's G37's. However, I can hear all her signaling and wiper noise clearly whereas she can't hear any of mine. But the down side of it is, when it tries to rub some of that noise out, it tends to rub some of the softer tones of your voice out as well. She reported that parts of my speech were staccato. I remedied this a good deal by adjusting the microphone sensitivity higher I believe? Can't remember the exact steps but I would search the forum on that and try it to see if it helps.

The only annoyance I see is the fact that you have to listen to all the junk the lady instructs you to say. I removed the speech on the initial press of the 'Talk' button through the menu system but after you input any voice command, it still makes you wait for the damn lady to speak what you already heard 1 billion times or it won't let you press the buttons you need to press. (ie. Dial by Number - after you input the number, you still have to wait for the lady to say the '##########, when you are ready, please press the talk button or press the off hook switch to dial'). And I think if you press the 'Talk' button before she finishes, it goes back to asking you for a number to dial... THAT'S frustrating.

I have an 08 350 and I'm extremely disappointed in the voice recognition system and you know Lexus has had a lot of complaints and yet they haven't done a thing to fix it. I can't understand it. Would I buy another one..NO, I paid good money for things to work properly, and that was the only thing that I'm very upset about. The processes to make a call, and no prompt for REDIAL????? I'd expect it on a chevy but the Ford Sync system is AWESOME. Can you imagine making a voice recognition system for a phone without recognizing the redial command???

• 5 years later...

I have news for you - i have a 2015 and it STILL SUCKS !!!    Its even worse now !!     instead of the knob to cycle through the options i have a mouse pad and you have to use your finger to nagiv[gate the tiny pointer to use the map.  sounds cool but it SUCKS !  The nav system asks you 2 and 3 confirmation questions to confirm what you said is what you want.  Do you want to add this to your route now ?  OK do you want to go direct ?  Frustrating.  The voice recognition isnt even close !  say 123 main st.  ... do you want to go to Walmart type not even close.  I love my 2015 RC350 but will be trading it in becuase i cant see buying a GPS to stick to the window when i have a nav system that is unusable.

IT BLOWS !!!!

17 minutes ago, Simplify123 said:

I have news for you - i have a 2015 and it STILL SUCKS !!!    Its even worse now !!     instead of the knob to cycle through the options i have a mouse pad and you have to use your finger to nagiv[gate the tiny pointer to use the map.  sounds cool but it SUCKS !  The nav system asks you 2 and 3 confirmation questions to confirm what you said is what you want.  Do you want to add this to your route now ?  OK do you want to go direct ?  Frustrating.  The voice recognition isnt even close !  say 123 main st.  ... do you want to go to Walmart type not even close.  I love my 2015 RC350 but will be trading it in becuase i cant see buying a GPS to stick to the window when i have a nav system that is unusable.

IT BLOWS !!!!

It's almost always quicker to manually click through these navigation systems instead of using voice commands and waiting for voice prompts.  Plus, some functions are limited when using voice commands.  I almost always program in where I want to go while vehicles are stopped, e.g. before I pull into traffic.  If one navigates to the same locations on a regular basis, manually selecting from "previous destinations" speeds up the process immensely.  On most navigation generations, it is possible to turn off or limit voice prompts - that can makes using voice commands faster.