Rx 350 Vibration At Higher Speeds

First timer here, please be gentle. I am a Canadian who bought a very nice 2009 Certified RX350 with 25k miles in September from a Lexus dealer in a New York State. IT had a clean Carfax. One of my conditions of purchase was to have new tires installed becasue of the mileage. The dealer installed Hankooks. Only after I was dringni home on the highway speed did i sense a vibration. I stopped for a coffee and looked for wheel weights and could find none. I assumed the dealer did not balance the tires when they were installed and would do it when I got home at my cousins garage.

They had not been balanced and the ride improved immediately but the vibration was still noticable at 75-80 miles an hour. I took the car to my hometown dealership who advised the tires were likely out of balance and that my cousin;s machine was likely not modern enough to handle the 18 inch tires. They were balanced again and road tested. Still a vibration (and noise). They put 2 different sets of tires on the car (including a set from a brand new 350), vibration still there. The local Lexus dealer suggested that I need to have the rotors turned. They were, without success. Their next suggestion was to have Road Force balance and they suggested that the right front tire needed to be replaced. I did that as well. While doing this work they told me that the vibration was measured using some vibration assessment tool. I asked about the result, but was told they did not have them and the results were sent to Lexus Canada for analysis but tat the vibration is coming from the right front tire. Finally, last week an engineer from Lexus Canada assessed my car with a master technician and reviewed previous test results and work performed. The vibration was re-measured and I was told that it was "within their parameters" and my file would be closed. They would not tell me what the parameters were, what tool was used to measure and I was not able to speak to the engineer who conducted the tests. 2 mechanics that I know, who would tell me if I was out-to-lunch, are puzzled but suggest a wheel bearing or the gyroscope used for handling may need to be recalibrated.

The vibration, which still feels like a wheel balance issue at 80 mph, needs to be fixed an I an now preparing to return to the US dealer and will be taking the local dealer to small claims court to recover my expenses. Before I go, does anyone have any ideas that may help identify the source? wheel bearing? gyroscope? Ive checked the roof racks and they are ok. Please. Any ideas??

As for so many of you who rave about your Lexus cars, I am envious. Thanks

BTW, I think Lexus Canada does not appreciate Canucks who buy in the states. They f

First timer here, please be gentle. I am a Canadian who bought a very nice 2009 Certified RX350 with 25k miles in September from a Lexus dealer in a New York State. IT had a clean Carfax. One of my conditions of purchase was to have new tires installed becasue of the mileage. The dealer installed Hankooks. Only after I was dringni home on the highway speed did i sense a vibration. I stopped for a coffee and looked for wheel weights and could find none. I assumed the dealer did not balance the tires when they were installed and would do it when I got home at my cousins garage.

They had not been balanced and the ride improved immediately but the vibration was still noticable at 75-80 miles an hour. I took the car to my hometown dealership who advised the tires were likely out of balance and that my cousin;s machine was likely not modern enough to handle the 18 inch tires. They were balanced again and road tested. Still a vibration (and noise). They put 2 different sets of tires on the car (including a set from a brand new 350), vibration still there. The local Lexus dealer suggested that I need to have the rotors turned. They were, without success. Their next suggestion was to have Road Force balance and they suggested that the right front tire needed to be replaced. I did that as well. While doing this work they told me that the vibration was measured using some vibration assessment tool. I asked about the result, but was told they did not have them and the results were sent to Lexus Canada for analysis but tat the vibration is coming from the right front tire. Finally, last week an engineer from Lexus Canada assessed my car with a master technician and reviewed previous test results and work performed. The vibration was re-measured and I was told that it was "within their parameters" and my file would be closed. They would not tell me what the parameters were, what tool was used to measure and I was not able to speak to the engineer who conducted the tests. 2 mechanics that I know, who would tell me if I was out-to-lunch, are puzzled but suggest a wheel bearing or the gyroscope used for handling may need to be recalibrated.

The vibration, which still feels like a wheel balance issue at 80 mph, needs to be fixed an I an now preparing to return to the US dealer and will be taking the local dealer to small claims court to recover my expenses. Before I go, does anyone have any ideas that may help identify the source? wheel bearing? gyroscope? Ive checked the roof racks and they are ok. Please. Any ideas??

As for so many of you who rave about your Lexus cars, I am envious. Thanks

BTW, I think Lexus Canada does not appreciate Canucks who buy in the states. They f

Assuming that balancing and alignment are fine, that all appears great, the only thing I can suggest is a problem I once had in a Ford Mustang: the wheel was not 'true'. Did you try putting your spare on the stated problematic right front position?

The dealership installed 2 sets of tires they knew were fine and still a vibration. Also. the road force balance results suggested a flat spot on the right front tire and I replace it without any impact on the vibration. Could it be a bearing? driveshaft?

It could be an out of balance drive shaft - that is always a possibility. A bearing would probably have blown apart by now, and is probably not massive enough to create a vibration you feel.

Assuming that balancing and alignment are fine, that all appears great, the only thing I can suggest is a problem I once had in a Ford Mustang: the wheel was not 'true'. Did you try putting your spare on the stated problematic right front position?

This is what I am thinking too. That it may be the wheel that is not perfectly round. I once had this problem with another car where the vibration is too much and turned out to be a bent wheel.

Don't accept that this vibration is "withing limits". No such thing. My Rx350 is smooth with no vibration whatsover in highway speeds.

Next time I would be getter to test drive a car when buying. Does not matter whether its brand new or used. And test it on regular road and highways. In fact it's best if you can take it home for the weekend. Dealers will agree to that if they think you are a potential and serious buyer.

The dealership installed 2 sets of tires they knew were fine and still a vibration. Also. the road force balance results suggested a flat spot on the right front tire and I replace it without any impact on the vibration. Could it be a bearing? driveshaft?

On the infamous Mustang, they re-balanced the driveshaft, changed tires etc.... but did not change wheels. The problem was the wheels. I have heard of driveshaft un-balance, but never read or spoke to anyone to which it actually happened.... The problem, however, is theirs to discover.

Did they mount tires on your wheels, or did put on wheel tire sets? My guess is they just pulled 4 wheel/tire units off a new vehicle and put them on yours.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be watching this thread closely. I bought a used 07 RX 350 and I soon noticed that I get a vibration at around 80 MPH, a speed at which I don't drive often enough so I wasn't concerned about it at first. But, our highways here are 75 MPH and I recently took a road trip and was going 80 and noticed the vibration. It does stop if I go 85. Funny thing is, I had this exact problem with my 02 Highlander but it happened at 75 MPH. If I went 70 or 80, there was no vibration! This is one of those issues that I haven't brought up to the dealer yet and I'm planning on taking it in for service soon to have the white dust problem fixed!

I'll be watching this thread closely. I bought a used 07 RX 350 and I soon noticed that I get a vibration at around 80 MPH, a speed at which I don't drive often enough so I wasn't concerned about it at first. But, our highways here are 75 MPH and I recently took a road trip and was going 80 and noticed the vibration. It does stop if I go 85. Funny thing is, I had this exact problem with my 02 Highlander but it happened at 75 MPH. If I went 70 or 80, there was no vibration! This is one of those issues that I haven't brought up to the dealer yet and I'm planning on taking it in for service soon to have the white dust problem fixed!

A lot of times, it is the natural mechanical harmonics of a car that cause vibration at a certain speed, this can be cause by a number of components and very hard for the dealer to diagnose. Some owners on the GX forum had good with getting ride of the vibration with a road force tire balancing machine, ask your dealer if they have one of those, its call a Hunter road force balancing machine.

• 6 years later...

Ok, I had the same issue but at lower speeds 55 to 65. The dealer discovered that the front right wheel under high speeds would move back and forth on the roller dearings (if that makes sense). They replaced  the part and that fixed it at the low speeds. Now I'm getting that same vibration (not as bad) at the 75-80 speed. I'l taking it back to the dealer will let you know.

• 5 months later...

RX350, 2007. Second owner. I have had a vibration at 75~80 MPH for several years now in the front left. They were not there when I first owned it. I had wheel balancing twice. Someone said its the rotors. However, a Lexus mechanic showed me the front left axle socket and said that it was leaking. He said its not critical and can be repaired even a year later. I did do a carfax and found out that the 1st owner had an accident in that area. 

• 2 years later...

I just got a 2015 350ES and did a test drive but when I got on the express way and went 80 noticed this vibration late for me since I bought the car as is.  But I may take it to the dealer and see if they know here on the Treasure Coast of Florida.  I love the car and will live with it as it only happens at 80 and above it will keep me from speeding I guess.  I don't do that much expressway driving so it will keep me in check.  75 is a smooth drive but once I reach over that it starts.  I will watch this post see if anyone finds someone that has a solution.  

• 4 months later...

Yes, we have a real problem with the steering wheel shake and vibration?  We did install 2 new tires and brakes.  Has anyone found a solution to problem, would like to know?

Really like to fix problem?   THANKS

Jack   Carlsbad Ca.   jjaksik@att.net

• 1 month later...

I have a problem with Lexus RX330 2005, It shake at 65 MPH when I brake. I Had replace new axles, tires and rotors, it still have that shaking problem when I brake at 60 MPH. Think it the brake line have air in it, but have no one to pump and bleed it.

• 8 months later...

This is the very issue I’m dealing with and I am considering purchasing the exact same model with the exact same problem. You may see my question show up in this thread. From all I have read this seems to be in inherent problem of that model but may have a solution. Try putting 3 to 4 pounds of extra air pressure in the front right tire. Also try to find a mechanic who is experienced in working On race cars. Frequently they have greater skill in alignment and balancing that goes beyond the manufactures specs. This is absolutely my favorite RX produced but it does have this inherent front end issue.  I’m hoping there’s a solution because I want to own this model! I’ll be following this thread closely.

We've had our RX400h since new in 2005 and have never had a vibration problem. I've been a moderator on this forum for many years and cannot say that it is something that is happening to a majority of RX owners. I rarely see it mentioned. I will say that the cause can be more difficult to find if you are buying a used vehicle. 

If I did have this problem, I would take the vehicle to a well-known, highly experienced alignment shop. There is one here in San Diego that has never let me down with alignment/wheel/suspension issues pertaining to other vehicles that were many years old and had modified suspensions.