Input On A Couple Of Problems!

CBLex

Hello Club Owners!!

Newbie here, be easy! First off I want to thank everybody on this forum with the help you guys provide, if it wasn't for this forum I would be lost in trying to restore my baby. That being said I have a couple of problems with my car I need some feedback on.

1. My cruise control doesn't work when I engage it. Ive done some research on it and came to the conclusion that Speed Sensor on the Tranny needs to be replaced (please correct me if im wrong). Has anyone attempted this repair themselves? if so how difficult is it?

2. My keyless remote system does not work. I have yet to change out the battery in the key, and I barely found a method to programming the key yourself, but if for some reason it still does not work after trying to program it, is there some type of module/switch that gets replaced?

3. I would like to upgrade my interior seats with perhaps a newer year, can this be done?

Thanks!

The keyless entry on a 90 LS requires that the keys match the ROM chip in the receiver behind the trim on the driver's side of the trunk. Keys and the ROM chip have to be purchased as a set. One can't just buy a replacement key and expect it to work with the existing ROM chip unless (maybe) the electronic "guts" of an old key can be transferred to the new key.

I wouldn't know about this if the keys and ROM chip weren't replaced once or twice when my 90 LS was under warranty in an attempt to get the keyless entry to work all the time -- the dealer had a theory that interference from some building security systems were preventing the keyless entry from working in a few parking lots where I sometimes parked.

The last time the dealer replaced my keys and the ROM chip, he apparently didn't firmly seat the ROM chip in its slot -- made my keyless entry work only in warm weather for a few years and then it stopped working most of the time no matter how warm the weather was. The person I sold my 90 LS to in 2003 discovered that the ROM chip was loose in its slot. After he got the ROM chip correctly seated in its slot, the keyless entry worked just fine.

Have you followed the diagnostic procedure for the cruise control or are you just guessing that the problem is the "speed sensor"? I no longer have the repair manual set for the 90 LS -- gave it to the new owner -- but it had a diagnostic procedure that removes all the guessing.

Can't help you much on the seats -- other front LS seats up through 1994 should bolt right it but getting the electronics to work might be dicey if you use 93-up seats -- particularly on the passenger seat which was made fully adjustible and included a lumbar support beginning with the 93 model year.

Are the other funtions on your steering wheel working such as your horn? If not it may be the clockspring. If the steero

ing system has been worked on (rack) then it may have been broken during the repair.. Mechanics are notorious for forgetting to lock the steering wheel prior to removing the rack and the result is a broken clockspring..

This has happened to another poster recently and this had happened to them as well as myself. Luckily the shop owned upto the error after some knowledgeable pursuasion and replaced it at there expense.

Are the other funtions on your steering wheel working such as your horn? If not it may be the clockspring. If the steero

ing system has been worked on (rack) then it may have been broken during the repair.. Mechanics are notorious for forgetting to lock the steering wheel prior to removing the rack and the result is a broken clockspring..

This has happened to another poster recently and this had happened to them as well as myself. Luckily the shop owned upto the error after some knowledgeable pursuasion and replaced it at there expense.

Yes the other functions on the steering wheel work and the radio has never been worked on......where is the clock spring located? in the steering column?

*ALSO another problem I forgot to mention is my mileage reading stopped working? what needs to be replaced to get that going, it stopped at 98,xxx miles?*

Yes the other functions on the steering wheel work and the radio has never been worked on......where is the clock spring located? in the steering column?

*ALSO another problem I forgot to mention is my mileage reading stopped working? what needs to be replaced to get that going, it stopped at 98,xxx miles?*

Clockspring is behind the airbag, is a part of the headlight/turn switch assembly but does seperate from it. IF other functions are ok it may not be the issue. Sorry did not mean stereo s/b steering system. I Have had no other troubles with cruise so wish I could be of more help...

Odo meter not working, not to sure on that one.