Interior Center Console Lights Not Working

Well, i couldn't leave well enough alone on my Rx400h...

This past week i've been working on a little project involving the gauge cluster (modifying the needles, nothing dealing with electrical though). I had to remove, install, and remove and install the cluster from the dash a couple of times however...

I finished the cluster and installed it this afternoon, and i thought everything was working perfectly.

NOPE.

When it became dark i turned on the headlights, and noticed the interior center console lights (nav buttons, radio buttons, and shifter icon buttons) and the center "cubby" blue and amber accent lights, all not working.

I remember from doing gauge cluster work on my Rx300, that if the cluster is not installed, it can affect other things such as this... so i made sure everything was connected, which it was. Also the dimmer switch, which was also fine.

My next thought was that i somehow blew a fuse. I checked in the manual for any fuse with the words "interior lights" in it, there were about 5 possible ones. Checked them all, and they were all fine. So i checked EVERY fuse- the ones in the dash panel, and the two in the engine compartment. EVERY fuse is OK.

Upon closer inspection, i notice that if i flick the light stalk (on the steering column) to parking light or lights-on (when the interior lights would ordinarily come on) the radio button lights "flick" ON for just a second, and go off. None of the other console lights do this (my guess is because the radio lights are LED's while the rest are bulbs, which wouldn't show the slight shot of voltage).

I tried removing the radio, but the lights still didn't come on. I tried removing the car battery for a few minutes thinking something would reset, but nope...

I checked the bulb that illuminates the shifter icons (on the same circuit not working) with a 12V source and it's working- so the lights aren't blown out or anything... they just aren't being given any voltage besides for that first second when i turn the lights on.

Does anyone know what the problem could be? All of the other lights and functions of the car are working 100%. The radio and nav LCD are working fine. However, when i dim the dimmer switch, the radio LCD goes off...

I've been working with car electrical stuff for a few years, i've encountered this problem before in the Rx300, but it's always been as simple as changing out a fuse. I'm not sure what could be wrong now though. All i did was unplug and install the gauge cluster a few times (with the car ON) which is my only guess to the start of the problem. I just don't know why the console lights are out because of it.

The only hints i have is that when first switched ON, the radio icons illuminate for a split second, then go off. If it was a fuse or shorting problem, there'd be no voltage, period. But there is for a second... I'm thinking it's a computer issue?

Any help appreciated! :(

It's my 2008 Rx400h.

Well, i couldn't leave well enough alone on my Rx400h...

This past week i've been working on a little project involving the gauge cluster (modifying the needles, nothing dealing with electrical though). I had to remove, install, and remove and install the cluster from the dash a couple of times however...

I finished the cluster and installed it this afternoon, and i thought everything was working perfectly.

NOPE.

When it became dark i turned on the headlights, and noticed the interior center console lights (nav buttons, radio buttons, and shifter icon buttons) and the center "cubby" blue and amber accent lights, all not working.

I remember from doing gauge cluster work on my Rx300, that if the cluster is not installed, it can affect other things such as this... so i made sure everything was connected, which it was. Also the dimmer switch, which was also fine.

My next thought was that i somehow blew a fuse. I checked in the manual for any fuse with the words "interior lights" in it, there were about 5 possible ones. Checked them all, and they were all fine. So i checked EVERY fuse- the ones in the dash panel, and the two in the engine compartment. EVERY fuse is OK.

Upon closer inspection, i notice that if i flick the light stalk (on the steering column) to parking light or lights-on (when the interior lights would ordinarily come on) the radio button lights "flick" ON for just a second, and go off. None of the other console lights do this (my guess is because the radio lights are LED's while the rest are bulbs, which wouldn't show the slight shot of voltage).

I tried removing the radio, but the lights still didn't come on. I tried removing the car battery for a few minutes thinking something would reset, but nope...

I checked the bulb that illuminates the shifter icons (on the same circuit not working) with a 12V source and it's working- so the lights aren't blown out or anything... they just aren't being given any voltage besides for that first second when i turn the lights on.

Does anyone know what the problem could be? All of the other lights and functions of the car are working 100%. The radio and nav LCD are working fine. However, when i dim the dimmer switch, the radio LCD goes off...

I've been working with car electrical stuff for a few years, i've encountered this problem before in the Rx300, but it's always been as simple as changing out a fuse. I'm not sure what could be wrong now though. All i did was unplug and install the gauge cluster a few times (with the car ON) which is my only guess to the start of the problem. I just don't know why the console lights are out because of it.

The only hints i have is that when first switched ON, the radio icons illuminate for a split second, then go off. If it was a fuse or shorting problem, there'd be no voltage, period. But there is for a second... I'm thinking it's a computer issue?

Any help appreciated! :(

It's my 2008 Rx400h.

From working on my boat, I experienced a similar situation and I found it to be ground wires not grounded. I am guessing you have a ground issue somewhere where you tinkered.

You're NEVER gonna believe this... :lol:

After i posted this thread, i started to google the issue to see if anyone else's had a similar problem, and i found a thread i created last April on this SAME issue i had, but on my old Rx300!!

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...amp;mode=linear

I was doing a similar gauge cluster mod in my Rx300 back in April, which required me to remove and install the cluster several times. And apparently (i totally forgot...) this SAME problem happened with the console lights going out, and i found the solution soon after :P

In the Rx300, i found the issue to be a loose wire in one of the plugs behind the cluster. Because i was handling it so much, one of the wires must have popped out of rear the plug, which for some reason prevented the center console from being illuminated :rolleyes:

And GUESS WHAT!! I took the cluster out of the Rx400h, and guess what i found!? A broken wire in one of the plugs lol... :rolleyes:

So i soldered it back on, and everything works perfectly. <_< I guess the Rx300 and Rx400h work the same way in this sense...

I have NO idea how i forgot this had happened to me before in the Rx300... but all is well now.

So apparently i found the solution to my problem back in April lol :lol:

This thread reminded me of a chart I saw a few years ago that showed the number of times electrical connector types used in Toyota and Lexus vehicles could be expected to survive being disconnected and reconnected before breaking. The main thing I remember is that some of the numbers were quite low -- that some electrical connector plugs were designed essentially to survive the original assembly process and perhaps one or two disconnection/reconnection cycles required during repairs.

I assume that this design methodology is just part of cost control ... i.e. why spend the money to needlessly make connectors strong enought to survive endless disconnection/reconnection cycles.

This thread reminded me of a chart I saw a few years ago that showed the number of times electrical connector types used in Toyota and Lexus vehicles could be expected to survive being disconnected and reconnected before breaking. The main thing I remember is that some of the numbers were quite low -- that some electrical connector plugs were designed essentially to survive the original assembly process and perhaps one or two disconnection/reconnection cycles required during repairs.

I assume that this design methodology is just part of cost control ... i.e. why spend the money to needlessly make connectors strong enought to survive endless disconnection/reconnection cycles.

I wouldn't be surprised. <_<

The problem is that the individual metal wires themselves (inside the insulation) are very stiff. They're braided, but still very dense (which is unusual). After so many times of being played with, the wires "bend" left, and right, and left and right etc. After a while, the wires just snap inside the insulation. Just like a toothpick would after being bent in all directions.

When i examined the wires to the plug in the Rx400h cluster, they "looked" fine because the wires' rubber insulations weren't broken, but when i wiggled one of the wires, i could tell the internal metal wire itself was broken.

It would be IMPOSSIBLE for anyone else to find unless they wiggled EVERY inch of wire in the car. If i were to bring the car to Lexus, they would have NEVER found it...

I have no idea how the wires are so dense while still being braided. Usually braided wires allow for some wiggling. :rolleyes:

So if anyone decides to play with the wires, be careful! :D

This is one of those situations where, while playing around with everything and constantly modding and plugging and unplugging may be fun, you're also going to run into these kinds of problems. Bear in mind that this is probably going to be a bigger problem with your 400h than it was your 300 due to cost cutting on the newer models.

If it were my car, I'd only dig in there when I absolutely had to. If I remember correctly part of the issue you were having with your 300 was electrical problems that you yourself attributed to your modifications.

Its not a toy...its a $50,000 vehicle.

Hey, maybe he has a $100,000 "main" vehicle and the RX400h IS his toy! :D

I told my son that if he wants to experiment with a computer, don't do it with the one you depend upon - get one of our older ones and play around to your heart's content.

It's OK CD, do whatever you want with your car. It is after all yours. I did some controversial things to my early cars including painting a 64-1/2 Mustang hypo a hideous color of Cadillac purple. Do I have any regrets? No. It made me happy which is all that counts.

Tom

It's OK CD, do whatever you want with your car. It is after all yours. I did some controversial things to my early cars including painting a 64-1/2 Mustang hypo a hideous color of Cadillac purple. Do I have any regrets? No. It made me happy which is all that counts.

Tom

Thanks Gryphon :) I knew i couldn't be the only one :rolleyes:

We need to get you interested in doing things to it that are less destructive. What about car detailing?

Too boring :o I can barely muster up the energy to wash my car :( ... I usually pay a professional every spring to do it for me.

I'm staying away from working with the electronic stuff in the Rx400h that ruined my Rx300, trying to stay with simple things. I've learned my lesson... Just didn't expect the factory wiring to fail :huh: