It Is A Sports Car!

killerFatty

Has anyone else seen this? Downshift rev matching, BREMBO brakes, 19" wheels, paddle shifters, sport tuned air suspension! Sounds like the IS-F right? WRONG It's the LS460 Sport. WOW What a car. The LS has finally become a sports car :D So what do you guys think?

http://www.lexus.com/models/LS/sport/index...09_LSsporthlink

Not bad upgrades, but the LS460 will never be a sports car. (Nor will any 4200+ lb luxury sedan.)

Would've been nice to see a supercharger or something to get that power output up!

Hmm a Factory supercharger, good idea. Or even something like the new tundra's that have a factory made, warrentee compliant, "aftermarket" supercharger available from the dealer. 360 HP is good, but not really enough to rival BMW 7 series or merc. S-class. If your going to sport up the breaks, suspension, and trans, then it seems power should be next.

I have to agree. I just can see people buying this car with 8 speed paddle shifters but you never know. Some people just like every available gadget especially in this price range so it's a tough call. Probably depends a lot on what dealers have in stock.

When is Lexus going to come out with an LS that rivals the AMG version of the S class from Mercedes?!

IMHO never. Lexus is supposed to be the ultra refined and elegant brand. I.E. for old people. German cars(BMW and Benz) have the sportier more of a drivers car appeal. Although the ISF is supposed to rival the M3, it doesn't really stack up that well on the road as it does on paper, or so I've heard. I wish I could say I have drove them both, but I have only driven an M3. And the only reason lexus has that new LA-F is because you couldn't put a Toyota badge on it and ask for $400K with a straight face.

It's not that I don't think Lexus should start becoming more of a drivers car, it's just that they have there market nitch. Allthough to have their quality and attention to detail in a true performance-luxury sedan would be really COOL.

When is Lexus going to come out with an LS that rivals the AMG version of the S class from Mercedes?!

I agree...never. This SZ car is about as close as its going to get.

Toyota as a corporation doesn't like niche marketing...the AMG S class isn't a volume car, its an image car that trickles down the model line. That type of marketing scheme doesn't fit into Toyota's corporate M.O.

You can buy a aftermarket paddle shifter and put it in your LS...I've got the web site for the company that makes them , if anyone wants to compete with the new LS!!!

I'll believe it when I see it! What does it do? Hook up to the transmission computer or something?

Toyota as a corporation doesn't like niche marketing...the AMG S class isn't a volume car, its an image car that trickles down the model line. That type of marketing scheme doesn't fit into Toyota's corporate M.O.

Toyota is already doing it. While it's been a very slow and cautious rollout the revolution has already begun.

The IS-F is a direct response to the M3 and the C series AMG. I see more of them out here than the M3 or the C63. IS and GS 'F' series accessories are already available; I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the LS sport appearance kits eventually branded as F series before too long. And of course the ultimate niche market car is finally here: the LFA is far more exclusive (by volume) than anything currently sold by Mercedes, BMW or Audi. It's basically the Lexus M1.

If Toyota wanted to create an LS-F they could, easily. The parts already exist; Tom's racing (supported by Toyota) has made supercharger and suspension upgrade kits for the Celsior and the LS460. On their website they have a concept LS46 car. In the US TRD sells a dealer-installed supercharger for the 5.7L V8 in the Tundra; I expect someone will try to retune and shoehorn that engine into the LS before too long; it might also work on the 4.6L engine.

Everybody else in the space has a sport variant; Audi S8, BMW Alpina B7 (and possibly M7), Jaguar XJR and Mercedes has both the S63 and S65. While none of these cars are high volume sellers the branding halo they create benefits the whole line; and the AMG, M and S-line accessories/wheels/styling kits sell pretty well; at least out here in SoCal.

Mercedes and BMW now have AMG or M branded variants of almost every model line they sell; even the SUVs. I think in a way they created these brands-within-a-brand to differentiate themselves from Lexus and Infiniti. Also they bring younger guys (and gals) into the showrooms; and nobody wants to go the way of Lincoln with a median buyer age over 65+.

It's really the last frontier left to conquer. Come on Steve you're honestly going to tell me you wouldn't be the least bit curious about a 504HP LS-F ? :pirate: