Lexus Brakes Ls 400 96

currencybills

Hey what are the best brakes to purchase for my car guys?

I need front brakes.

Do you mean brake pads, brake rotors, calipers, everything???

Assuming you mean brake pads I don't think you can go wrong with OEM. They're reasonably priced over the internet at places like www.parts.com

I have a 1996 LS400 as well.

Can someone please tell me if I will need a special socket to remove the caliper bolts? I was under my car (draining the coolant) and I noticed that the caliper bolts have a star-pattern head. The head appears to be round and the inside is the form of a star-like pattern.

Am I looking at the caliper bolt or something else.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi,

I believe you are looking at the bolts that hold the caliper itself together. I think there are 2 17mm bolts holding the caliper to the barcket. The bolts you are looking at are Torx. Do not take these off! I know this is how the 98 ls is held together.

I have used Akibono ceramic on the front and Oem organic on the rear and have had no problems so far.

Fblonk

Yes, 17mm is the correct size to remove the calipers. Please, please, use only a 6 point socket. To break the bolts loose, slip a piece of pipe over the handle of you ratchet or breaker bar. They are easy to remove after that. As far a brake pads go, I would suggest to use Lexus replacement pads as they don't dust much and work great. Installing aftermarket pads can cause dust and other issues. You can buy NEW factory Lexus pads from irontoad.com for $50. Expect to pay over twice that at your local dealership.

EBC makes good compounds for aggressive driving. I recommend them if you tear down the streets and are trying to evade police or you autocross your LS400. Keep in mind every day you will need to allow some pad warm up.

Your probably better wit OEM or OEM replacement compounds. I am looking into ceramics.

• 1 month later...

I installed EBC redstuff ceramic brake pads on the fronts yesterday and WOW. They BITE HARD!! On stock rotors that are warpped beyond help I might add. They still have the brake in coating on them and I can't wait to see what they do when they are fully seated. Also my cross drilled/slotted rotors came too. I plan on having a shop do the rotors for me because I cant manage to get the caliper braket bolts off. I might see if I can get a bigger breaker bar and give that a try first.

I might see if I can get a bigger breaker bar and give that a try first.

A trick is to use the car jack handle (granted if your using a regular size floor jack). It should provide more than enough leverage. Remove it from the jack and slide over the ratchet.

To help fit the breaker bar since its bigger turn the steering wheel to one side and it should give you enough of an opening in the wheel well to break the bolts loose.

Also, please remember to regrease the slider pins that connect the caliper to the caliper bracket. Just be careful not to rip the dust boot that covers the slider pin.

Autozone sells the little pouches for $1 each but just go in the grease isle and they sell a container of it, which will last you a few years for $8 (if i remember correctly).

Ali

I installed EBC redstuff ceramic brake pads on the fronts yesterday and WOW. They BITE HARD!! On stock rotors that are warpped beyond help I might add. They still have the brake in coating on them and I can't wait to see what they do when they are fully seated. Also my cross drilled/slotted rotors came too. I plan on having a shop do the rotors for me because I cant manage to get the caliper braket bolts off. I might see if I can get a bigger breaker bar and give that a try first.

You and Romane should start a club.... And not Lexus Owners Club! :P :D

Also, please remember to regrease the slider pins that connect the caliper to the caliper bracket. Just be careful not to rip the dust boot that covers the slider pin.

Ali

This does not apply to the '95-2000 brakes, as they use a fixed caliper. Only the earlier model floating calipers need this to be addressed.

Ali

This does not apply to the '95-2000 brakes, as they use a fixed caliper. Only the earlier model floating calipers need this to be addressed.

Thanks for that, I am not as familiar with Lexus as I am with other cars I work on.

Ali

You and Romane should start a club.... And not Lexus Owners Club! :P :D

"Lexus owners nightmere", "lexus LSF", "1UZ-GTE" Which one should be it's name? :D I think Romane's thread is HALARIOUS. I would NEVER EVER tape my headlights or put purple rims on a lexus. His Megan coilovers are nice though. Other than that you don't have to worry about me stripping my interior to save 100LBS in a 4900LBS car. If I was half witted like him I would have 80 spoke gold rims and hydralics with shaggy white interior. :lol: If he wants performance Jcrome's custom exhaust and an intake would probably be the first thing Romane should do. Or just pop off the two back mufflers like I did after my last accident. Sounds great and has noticable top end gains.

Agreed , when in doubt .

Good thing alot of us are experimental , such as my self and bought the EBC reds which bite way better than OEM but I prefer to outperform basic parts and modify for more performance oriented ones without losses .