Windshield - Lexus Or After Market?

Sir Pingalot

Hi All,

Recently had a bad run with my windshield. One star crack and another much longer crack within a span of 2 months. I never replaced it for the star, just got it fixed, but now I'm going to have to replace the windshield. I went to my Lexus dealership and they told me that the original would cost me $1200 to get it fixed, but they can get me the after market (sans the Lexus logo) for $715. I can get it for much cheaper outside (the after market). So my question basically is, do you think its better to get it done through the after market at Lexus, or is it ok to go with a third party?

I checked with them with regards to the warranty and they said all other parts of the car would be covered as usual, but any work pertaining to the windshield would not be covered if it were done outside (which makes sense), but which makes me wonder whether its worth paying the price difference and going with the Lexus dealership.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hi All,

Recently had a bad run with my windshield. One star crack and another much longer crack within a span of 2 months. I never replaced it for the star, just got it fixed, but now I'm going to have to replace the windshield. I went to my Lexus dealership and they told me that the original would cost me $1200 to get it fixed, but they can get me the after market (sans the Lexus logo) for $715. I can get it for much cheaper outside (the after market). So my question basically is, do you think its better to get it done through the after market at Lexus, or is it ok to go with a third party?

I checked with them with regards to the warranty and they said all other parts of the car would be covered as usual, but any work pertaining to the windshield would not be covered if it were done outside (which makes sense), but which makes me wonder whether its worth paying the price difference and going with the Lexus dealership.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

maybe i can help a little. first off, i had a chip/small crack in my windshield last fall, and my insurance (MA) covered the entire replacement. i'm guessing TX is like NC where I am now, in that insurance doesn't cover glass replacement. even here in NC it's covered as regular damage, so my $100 deductible would apply. i don't know if you can try that.

in any event, i had the lexus-recommended guy do the job, he screwed it up and replaced it. i then started noticing wind noise, and asked him about it, especially since i noticed the glass didnt say lexus on it. he said after-market lexus windshields don't say lexus, so i said fine. he put in a replacement again (#3) and still the same problem. i took it to lexus for my 20k service and mentioned the issue. i took off in my loaner and held it hostage until they finally got the guy to admit that he should've used a real lexus windshield, despite its huge price tag (why did he care, my ins. was paying?). my insurance company paid him the difference of the initial $700 one and the $1200 one, and he put it in. no problems since. now if i was paying out of pocket, i don't know what i'd do.

• 2 weeks later...

All glass is not equal. Otherwise we'd all own crystal & diamonds. Besides the probs in optics, cheap glass is also more susceptible to pitting and cracks. Always push your insurance for oem replacement and if they won't cover the entire amount, I would make up the difference out of your own pocket for the satisfaction of getting quality glass!