Looking To Buy A New Vehicle, The Comparisons

smooth1

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, so I've had the ML for about a week now. So far everything has been great with it. Some "differences" I thought you all might like to know about and I'll give you a general review.

I like the Lexus Nav system much better. The menues to navigate the system I think are much more logically sequenced than the MB.

I like the Lexus auto ac system more than the MB also. With the Lexus I have the smog detector that will switch the ac to recirc automatically whereas the MB doesn't seem to have that feature. On another note, I do like the MB ac zone controls much more than the Lexus. In the Lexus, if the passenger has changed the temp on HER side, to change it back to dual you have to go back to the ac menu and manually change it back or it stays in the seperate zone mode. With the MB you just have a seperate set of controls for all three zones and the master control just overides them with a push of the button.

I like the mechanics of the Lexus doors better than the MB. The Lexus, the doors almost close by themselves. You almost have to train yourself to not slam the doors closed on the Lexus. Whereas the MB you have to put a bit of grunt behind it. The MB doors are solid though. Just as solid as the Lexus is.

A for interior dash materials and soft touch areas, I think it's a tie. While Lexus uses a different material then MB, I think they both have their attributes and strong points. They are just different is all.

I like the Lexus gauges alot more than the MB's. But, I like the center display information center between the tach and the speedo much more on the MB than the Lexus. On the Lexus, you can scroll thru outside temp, mileage, fuel consumption and gear selection etc. etc. But on the MB, it's tied directly into the Nav and the audio system as well. So I can scroll to a screen that says your heading South on Main street as well. It also becomes the audio info screen for CD's and my ipod. So the map on the main screen can be chugging along and I can use the center display to give me all the other info I want. Very well thought out. In fact, I don't think I even use this feature on the Lexus as it doesn't really offer any of these useful menues that the MB does.

I really like the MB steering. The feel is well, classic MB. For as big as the ML is, turning into parking stalls is a surprising breeze.

I can't really compare the ride as I have the IS on aftermarket coilovers and the MB is on an air ride system. But the MB's ride is super smooth. Amazing could be easily used a couple times here honestly.

The MB shifter. Well, it's 200% better than the BMW version. and it does take some getting used to. So with it being so simple, you shouldn't really complain about it, because, well, it's so dang simple to use what is there to complain about? I guess it would be the cool factor is gone.

We really like the power liftgate. It seems everyone with a Luxury SUV has this feature though, so I thought I would just list the fact that it's cool to have.

One little thing I have noticed and like alot on the MB is the tap feature on the turn signals. On the MB, if you just tap the turn signal in the direction your turning, it stays on for a few seconds and shuts itself off without the steering wheel having to tell it to. I really like that little feature.

The ML's interior is amazingly quiet. No rattles, squeaks, or pops anywhere. So far anyway. I'll keep looking at the differences and comparisons as time goes by.

Did you drive the Bluetec as well?

Blake, I did test drive the blutec also. Why do you ask?

Oh, and to clear the air a bit, I was actually secretly leaning on the GX 470 the whole time. But, when I did the comparisons, the MB was larger, had nicer back seats, better gas mileage, and the deal I got on it was like the extra push. I also think the MB 4matic all wheel drive system is better than the Toyota versions. But the GX was a very very close second anyway. I was going to surprise all of you with that, but the last minute "ok, heres the best deal MB can offer" vs the best deal Lexus was going to give me, I saved about $5k. And it's a Mercedes Benz. they deserve a chance as much as GM does right? lol!!

We really like the power liftgate. It seems everyone with a Luxury SUV has this feature though, so I thought I would just list the fact that it's cool to have.

One little thing I have noticed and like alot on the MB is the tap feature on the turn signals. On the MB, if you just tap the turn signal in the direction your turning, it stays on for a few seconds and shuts itself off without the steering wheel having to tell it to. I really like that little feature.

Every SUV and minivan! It's hard to believe Chrysler was the one to popularize the power liftgate with the Town & Country in 2001. I don't know why the Japanese never caught on to the German turn signals because it is an awesome thing to nudge the stalk and get 3-4 blinks to change lanes. Surprisingly, a lot of late model GMs have this feature. That is one of my favorite features, especially since 90% of my miles are on the hwy.

I love diesels, and I'm just curious what you thought about it? I haven't driven a Bluetec, but I have spent some time driving a relative's '05 E320 CDI (I6), and it is one of my favorite cars ever. I see they do charge you a premium for the diesel power, around $4,000 which isn't bad at all when you consider that the diesel option on 3/4 ton pick-ups is $10,000+.
Oh, and to clear the air a bit, I was actually secretly leaning on the GX 470 the whole time. But, when I did the comparisons, the MB was larger, had nicer back seats, better gas mileage, and the deal I got on it was like the extra push. I also think the MB 4matic all wheel drive system is better than the Toyota versions. But the GX was a very very close second anyway. I was going to surprise all of you with that, but the last minute "ok, heres the best deal MB can offer" vs the best deal Lexus was going to give me, I saved about $5k. And it's a Mercedes Benz. they deserve a chance as much as GM does right? lol!!
I wouldn't have considered the GX right now since it is so old, and I absolutely hate that stupid swinging rear door!

@ Blake:

I loved the MB deisel. That's the first vehicle I've ever driven that if someone didn't tell you it was a deisel, you would have never known it was. It's that quiet inside and out. And if it were up to me, I would have gotten it. The MB deisels are known for billions of miles on them. lol! But this was an 09 left over and they really wanted to get it moved. So for the price I paid, I was fine with the 3.5 liter V6.

Every SUV and minivan! It's hard to believe Chrysler was the one to popularize the power liftgate with the Town & Country in 2001. I don't know why the Japanese never caught on to the German turn signals because it is an awesome thing to nudge the stalk and get 3-4 blinks to change lanes. Surprisingly, a lot of late model GMs have this feature. That is one of my favorite features, especially since 90% of my miles are on the hwy.

I love diesels, and I'm just curious what you thought about it? I haven't driven a Bluetec, but I have spent some time driving a relative's '05 E320 CDI (I6), and it is one of my favorite cars ever. I see they do charge you a premium for the diesel power, around $4,000 which isn't bad at all when you consider that the diesel option on 3/4 ton pick-ups is $10,000+.
I wouldn't have considered the GX right now since it is so old, and I absolutely hate that stupid swinging rear door!

And the swing rear gate was a huge negative for us as well on the GX. Not to mention that we both like the looks of the ML over the GX, but the GX wasn't terrible either. Speaking of which, why does the LX look so stupid? Even Land Rovers look cool now, and they are the ones that started the whole stupid looking SUV thing. LOL!!

Another thing I have found on the MB that I am beginning to like is the MB's version of "On Star". Pushing that button and hearing a voice come on and say "How can I help you?" is really cool! there is another button just over the rear view mirror with this James Bond style toggle swtich cover that you press and it drops down to reveal another button that says SOS on it. If your ever in trouble and you push that button, the police and emergency help is automatically dispatched to your GPS location. There is another button in the center console with a wrench on it that does the same thing, but it only sends your road side service to you. Of course if your in an accident, and the air bags are deployed, you don't hve to press or do anything. It automatically dispatches emergency services. My wife really thinks those features are cool. Of course I pointed out that I hope we never have to use them.

On another note, I do like the MB ac zone controls much more than the Lexus. In the Lexus, if the passenger has changed the temp on HER side, to change it back to dual you have to go back to the ac menu and manually change it back or it stays in the seperate zone mode. With the MB you just have a seperate set of controls for all three zones and the master control just overides them with a push of the button.

My Lexus does this also. All you do is hit "DUAL" and it sets the passenger zone to equal the driver's zone, and both zones are controlled by the driver's control until either the passenger adjusts their control or you hit "DUAL" again.

I hate that door! I know several people with GXs and Rav4s and all of them hate that door...

On another note, I do like the MB ac zone controls much more than the Lexus. In the Lexus, if the passenger has changed the temp on HER side, to change it back to dual you have to go back to the ac menu and manually change it back or it stays in the seperate zone mode. With the MB you just have a seperate set of controls for all three zones and the master control just overides them with a push of the button.

My Lexus does this also. All you do is hit "DUAL" and it sets the passenger zone to equal the driver's zone, and both zones are controlled by the driver's control until either the passenger adjusts their control or you hit "DUAL" again.

Well that's because you drive the super deluxo ES and I have the touch screen indash nav. menu stripped bare bones shell of a Lexus version. On the Is, that "dual" button you refer to is a button that appears on the touch screen.In order to make that button appear, you have to press the climate button that is located in the upper right hand side of the control panel next to the touch screen. Once that button is pushed, the touch screen changes to show the climate controls, at which point you can now push the "dual" mode button that will now change the controls back to the master control side. Then you can navigate back to the other screens such as the map mode or the audio mode you like to have dispayed while driving. It's kind of a PIA really. But oh well, I love the car anyway.

I hate that door! I know several people with GXs and Rav4s and all of them hate that door...

You know, that's something that I have never been able to figure out. Given such the close connection between the 4runner and the GX, why the GX doesn't have a roll-down rear window like the 4runner always has, is beyond me. Ask any 4runner owner to name the top three things they love about their car, and guaranteed that feature is listed in that list. The 4runner is cheaper, it's a favorite feature (a buying feature too for some), so you'd think the rich cousin would have it too....

Anyways....sweet ride Smooth.. Instead of cookies and soda at the Lexus shop, do they offer free sauerkraut and guinness and at the dealership?

Danke!! !Removed!-cruiser!!!

me? jealous? what would ever give you that idea! ;)

You know, that's something that I have never been able to figure out. Given such the close connection between the 4runner and the GX, why the GX doesn't have a roll-down rear window like the 4runner always has, is beyond me. Ask any 4runner owner to name the top three things they love about their car, and guaranteed that feature is listed in that list. The 4runner is cheaper, it's a favorite feature (a buying feature too for some), so you'd think the rich cousin would have it too....

Anyways....sweet ride Smooth.. Instead of cookies and soda at the Lexus shop, do they offer free sauerkraut and guinness and at the dealership?

Danke!! !Removed!-cruiser!!!

me? jealous? what would ever give you that idea! ;)

LOL! Funny you should mention that. I haven't been to the service center yet. The ML 350 has 12K mile intervals for oil changes. (Yeah, 12k miles is mfgr. reccommended intervals or 1 year!) And they are just using Mobil 1. It's not like they have some secret german oil they use. But I do plan on doing a full comparison as I think we have one of the nicest Lexus service centers around. So we'll see. Our Lexus service center serves finger sandwiches and wraps with sodas, water and cookies and brownies. They have 2 50 inch high def plasmas with a limited selection of tv stations, an internet cafe with 4 computers, a quiet room and a seperate play room for the brats. When I go into the service center for Mercedes Benz, I'll report back what they have and how it stacks up. LOL!

And regarding the tailgate, now that you mention the 4Runner, your absolutely right! What is up with that?

I loved the MB deisel. That's the first vehicle I've ever driven that if someone didn't tell you it was a deisel, you would have never known it was. It's that quiet inside and out. And if it were up to me, I would have gotten it. The MB deisels are known for billions of miles on them. lol! But this was an 09 left over and they really wanted to get it moved. So for the price I paid, I was fine with the 3.5 liter V6.
Thanks, good to know! I rarely hear anything bad about modern diesels! I only wish there were as many diesel options as there are hybrids. It's a shame we'll probably never see a Accord diesel.
And the swing rear gate was a huge negative for us as well on the GX. Not to mention that we both like the looks of the ML over the GX, but the GX wasn't terrible either. Speaking of which, why does the LX look so stupid? Even Land Rovers look cool now, and they are the ones that started the whole stupid looking SUV thing. LOL!!

Another thing I have found on the MB that I am beginning to like is the MB's version of "On Star". Pushing that button and hearing a voice come on and say "How can I help you?" is really cool! there is another button just over the rear view mirror with this James Bond style toggle swtich cover that you press and it drops down to reveal another button that says SOS on it. If your ever in trouble and you push that button, the police and emergency help is automatically dispatched to your GPS location. There is another button in the center console with a wrench on it that does the same thing, but it only sends your road side service to you. Of course if your in an accident, and the air bags are deployed, you don't hve to press or do anything. It automatically dispatches emergency services. My wife really thinks those features are cool. Of course I pointed out that I hope we never have to use them.

I agree the ML does look so much better than the GX! The GX is too tall and disproportionately thin. I'm not a fan of any of the new Lexus SUVs. I think the new RX looks much, much worse than the LX. The front of the new RX is the worst. I had to sit next to one in traffic the other day. At least it was black, so it kind of hid some of the ugly lines! lol I think they are trying to do the family resemblance thing that the Germans do, but they just can't get it right, while the Germans get this perfectly right. I think the best Lexus styles came in the late '90's and early '00's when each model was unique.

That SOS thing sounds great if you ever get in a crash. I like that some of the new Fords can call the police via Sync if you ever get in a wreck, so there's no monthly fee like with OnStar.

I'd love to know why they chose that type of door. Not quite as bad was that 60-40 split type door (part hatch, part tail gate) they did on the previous gen Land Cruiser (maybe the LX470 too?). Why not make it easy and go with a hatch??

Well that's because you drive the super deluxo ES and I have the touch screen indash nav. menu stripped bare bones shell of a Lexus version. On the Is, that "dual" button you refer to is a button that appears on the touch screen.In order to make that button appear, you have to press the climate button that is located in the upper right hand side of the control panel next to the touch screen. Once that button is pushed, the touch screen changes to show the climate controls, at which point you can now push the "dual" mode button that will now change the controls back to the master control side

Thats right...your IS is !Removed!! ;)

Thats really weird that button would be buried in the nav menus. Its funny what they choose to put in the menus for some models and not for others. Very few functions are in my nav menus...which I like.

Well that's because you drive the super deluxo ES and I have the touch screen indash nav. menu stripped bare bones shell of a Lexus version. On the Is, that "dual" button you refer to is a button that appears on the touch screen.In order to make that button appear, you have to press the climate button that is located in the upper right hand side of the control panel next to the touch screen. Once that button is pushed, the touch screen changes to show the climate controls, at which point you can now push the "dual" mode button that will now change the controls back to the master control side

Thats right...your IS is !Removed!! ;)

Thats really weird that button would be buried in the nav menus. Its funny what they choose to put in the menus for some models and not for others. Very few functions are in my nav menus...which I like.

Yeah, there are times when I wish I was in the design room when they were making some of these decisions to smack em upside the head. It's almost like they spend to much time driving other mfgrs cars and not enouph time driving thier own. For example, memory seats. My 03 Ford Explorer came with them, and I think they are almost standard on the ES. (Standard meaning the most popular package they sell off the lots without having to special order it.) And the ES has electronic tilt and telescopic steering with auto fold away feature. On the IS, that option is two packages up the ladder, and I don't think it does the fold away anyway. I think that came from the Mercedes Benz idealogy because I noticed the same package levels split those up also. I'd give up the stupid non helping AFS light things for the electro steering stuff, or the memory seats any day. And yet, Lexus does the keyless entry/start on everything! While Mercedes Benz still uses 4 button rotory dial phone system for entry and ignition. The keyless go system comes on the PO2 packages now. But I have to say that the remote start feature on the MB is frickin cool and works great. So you give a little to get a little I guess.

Yeah and the ES and the IS are pretty similarly priced.

Or how the GX and LX have no HID lights...even as an option...but the ES does and the IS. When I bought my ES new you couldn't get HIDs on the GS300 at all...even though you could on the GS430 and the ES...

Weird.

Yeah and the ES and the IS are pretty similarly priced.

Or how the GX and LX have no HID lights...even as an option...but the ES does and the IS. When I bought my ES new you couldn't get HIDs on the GS300 at all...even though you could on the GS430 and the ES...

Weird.

Lexus didn't list HID's as an option on the GX or LX because they felt the headlights were too high, and that HID's might be too blinding to cars even if angled downwards...

Ever have an Escalade with HID's coming at you? I'm in an SUV myself and they're blinding lol.

Lexus didn't list HID's as an option on the GX or LX because they felt the headlights were too high, and that HID's might be too blinding to cars even if angled downwards...

That may be what some dealer says...but I don't buy it. Plenty of SUVs on the road with HID lights.

Alright, why the heck does Lexus not have a "Tele Aid" service? Holy #@%&*** is that a super awsome feature!

MB gives you the basic service for free for the first year. You can upgrade to the Premier service which includes concierge services, and unlimited directions and a bunch of other features. There is a charge for this service, but it's only like 250 bucks a year. I don't think that's crazy. So, now I just click the i button, and a real person comes on the speaker and says" How can I help you?" Let me give you a snap shot of our conversation with a little background info. I was in Lakeland Florida. I'm not very familiar with that area. So I hit the i button:(Remember also, this is all happening while I'm driving. No having to pull over for this.)

Tele Aid: Welcome to Mercedes Benz Tele Aid, How can I help you?"

Me: Hi, I'm currently looking for a descent resturaunt to eat at, and I don't want MC'd or Burger King or anything like that, can you see if there is anything around me?

Tele Aid: Sure, is this "Smooth 1" I'm talking with?

Me: Yes

Tele Aid: Ok, I see your currently on Lemon street. Is there any particular cuisine or region of food you would like?

Me: Yeah, I think I would like a steak house grill, or something like that.

Tele Aid: I see theres a Road House resturant, a Lakeland Ale House, Gators Dockside grill, and a Sonny's Bar-B-Que grill all within 5 miles of you.

Me: Hmm, Gators Dockside sounds like it might be nice.

Tele Aid: I see there is an accident reported on Highland Road with a 30 minute delay, I could route you around that if you would like to go there.

Me: No, forget it, I think I'd like to go to Lakeland Ale House instead.

Tele Aid: Ok, would you like me to call ahead and make reservations for you?

Me: uuuhhh, sure, ok, do I need to?

Tele Aid: Please hold while I find out for you. In the mean time I will download the destination into your navigation unit for you.

then the nav screen starts scrolling thru and I can see all the info being put in and the nav unit reads " calculating destination."

Tele Aid: Ok, for lunch you do not need reservations, the average lunch prices are $10-15 dollars, and there is currently no wait. The special for the day is a Prime Rib sandwich with Au ju.

Me: ( after scraping my jaw off the floor boards " uuuhh, ok, cool.)

Tele Aid: Is there anything else I can do for you?

Me: No, Thank you, that was alot more than I expected already.

Tele Aid: Your Welcome, I'll end this session for you, and remember Mercedes Benz Tele Aid is never more than one push of a button away."

The session ended and the sat radio came back on, the nav unit directed me to the resturant. I parked the ML, and went inside and ate the special.

WHY DOESN'T LEXUS HAVE THIS???????

Alright, why the heck does Lexus not have a "Tele Aid" service? Holy #@%&*** is that a super awsome feature!

MB gives you the basic service for free for the first year. You can upgrade to the Premier service which includes concierge services, and unlimited directions and a bunch of other features. There is a charge for this service, but it's only like 250 bucks a year. I don't think that's crazy. So, now I just click the i button, and a real person comes on the speaker and says" How can I help you?" Let me give you a snap shot of our conversation with a little background info. I was in Lakeland Florida. I'm not very familiar with that area. So I hit the i button:(Remember also, this is all happening while I'm driving. No having to pull over for this.)

Tele Aid: Welcome to Mercedes Benz Tele Aid, How can I help you?"

Me: Hi, I'm currently looking for a descent resturaunt to eat at, and I don't want MC'd or Burger King or anything like that, can you see if there is anything around me?

Tele Aid: Sure, is this "Smooth 1" I'm talking with?

Me: Yes

Tele Aid: Ok, I see your currently on Lemon street. Is there any particular cuisine or region of food you would like?

Me: Yeah, I think I would like a steak house grill, or something like that.

Tele Aid: I see theres a Road House resturant, a Lakeland Ale House, Gators Dockside grill, and a Sonny's Bar-B-Que grill all within 5 miles of you.

Me: Hmm, Gators Dockside sounds like it might be nice.

Tele Aid: I see there is an accident reported on Highland Road with a 30 minute delay, I could route you around that if you would like to go there.

Me: No, forget it, I think I'd like to go to Lakeland Ale House instead.

Tele Aid: Ok, would you like me to call ahead and make reservations for you?

Me: uuuhhh, sure, ok, do I need to?

Tele Aid: Please hold while I find out for you. In the mean time I will download the destination into your navigation unit for you.

then the nav screen starts scrolling thru and I can see all the info being put in and the nav unit reads " calculating destination."

Tele Aid: Ok, for lunch you do not need reservations, the average lunch prices are $10-15 dollars, and there is currently no wait. The special for the day is a Prime Rib sandwich with Au ju.

Me: ( after scraping my jaw off the floor boards " uuuhh, ok, cool.)

Tele Aid: Is there anything else I can do for you?

Me: No, Thank you, that was alot more than I expected already.

Tele Aid: Your Welcome, I'll end this session for you, and remember Mercedes Benz Tele Aid is never more than one push of a button away."

The session ended and the sat radio came back on, the nav unit directed me to the resturant. I parked the ML, and went inside and ate the special.

WHY DOESN'T LEXUS HAVE THIS???????

The official voice chauffeur/concierge , How sweet B) Soon the voice/information will drive your vehicle to your choice of destinations while your in the back seat enjoying the entertainment ;)