Looking To Buy A New Vehicle, The Comparisons

smooth1

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry I've been hella busy with school and didnt have time to respond fast enough to this thread, but how long do you (sorry I really didnt read every single line of this thread also lol i just skimmed thru it) plan to keep this next car? Honestly, I'm starting to suggest looking into a 5 series BMW (if the rear lights are ok with u, a lot of people arent fond of it). It's big enough, for a little under $50k it's a fun car to drive! ;)

A mechanic I know pretty well told me that yea Buick has that notion of "old people's car" but he says that the Enclave is the BEST luxury SUV out there. Not only quiet but he says it's the best bang for the buck!

VW is another story. Fun to drive also, not sure about long term reliability also, but they all take Premium gas though (even the simple $12k Rabbit)

Mercedes are great cars, but not for long term either. Personally have driven an ML55 AMG, ML350, E350, C300, C230 and they were all fun to drive! Sporty yet you feel the luxury in it. BMW is all sporty, not really "luxury" aside from it's name and gizmos.

Its the short term leases. I know, pre-owned LS460s are a steal! I saw an LS460L with 20k miles for $54k...thats an $85k car!

Why is that the LS and GS models seem to depreciate faster than the ES and RX for example? Yes they're worth more to begin with, but it's the percentages lost per year that are so stunning...

So, what do you guys think about a Subaru Outback station wagon? It looks a bit small, but, I haven't sat in one yet. They look bigger this year also.

And I passed a Saab dealership and noticed they have an SUV sitting on the platform. Anyone know anything about Saab? I wonder what jet they stole parts off of to make that one?lol!!

I tried to convince my wife to get a Subaru Outback instead of her current 2004 RX330 AWD back in January of 2007 after I had sold her original 2000 RX300 AWD. The Subaru has much more bang-for-the-buck and one of the best AWD systems in the world. If you truly need an AWD crossover and you want to get a great one without spending a ton of money, the Outback ranks right up there at or near the top....

So, what do you guys think about a Subaru Outback station wagon? It looks a bit small, but, I haven't sat in one yet. They look bigger this year also.

And I passed a Saab dealership and noticed they have an SUV sitting on the platform. Anyone know anything about Saab? I wonder what jet they stole parts off of to make that one?lol!!

That was the Saab 9-7x (My company actually made parts for that!). It is based off the GMC Envoy/Chevy Trailblazer platform. Never driven one myself but it looks nice both on the inside and out.

I don't know what it is but I don't like Subaru, I have absolutely nothing to base that on, I just don't think I could buy one.

The Subaru Outback is really nice. I have a client with a brand new 2010, he likes it a lot. They travel in it extensively.

The Saab SUV is just a rebadged Chevy TrailBlazer...skip it.

Why is that the LS and GS models seem to depreciate faster than the ES and RX for example? Yes they're worth more to begin with, but it's the percentages lost per year that are so stunning...

Its because of the price point I think. I think people have a hard time spending $60,000 on a used car personally, whereas with an ES spending $35k or so is less of a concern.

I also think a lot of buyers lease these cars north of $50k, and leasing on the pre-owned car is no cheaper than the new car, so they just lease a new one instead.

I think a used LS is probably one of the "best buys" out there in the auto industry.

That makes sense.

I've been looking at videos of the LS and especially the LS600hL on youtube tonight... holy crap, it is seriously one of the most beautiful cars i have ever seen...

Ok, so I went and looked at a Subaru Outback, and not bad. Not bad at all. By design, it's a bit more utillitarian than luxury, but all in all pretty nice. I also took a closer look at the FX. Ok, it is pretty nice inside and it does drive very well, but (smirky headshake here) it just looks like a moon buggy or something. I just can't get next to it. And dang, their expensive! But unlike the Tahoe, I can reason the quality and refinement to justify the price tag.

It's a beautiful car, my favorite car without question.

In the full size luxury car segment,the LS is without question the king in my book, without going off the deep end and spending 2 or even 3x more. Even with the new S class Mercedes coming out, I think I still like the LS better.

Go drive an outback in hurricane rains at 80mph...you'll buy it on the spot, I guarantee you! I drove my 99' from Wilmington, NC to Charlotte back in 99' DURING hurricane Floyd, which flooded the entire state (was driving while it was flooding). I never went below 60 mph in that thing, and wasn't one bit scared or nervous about it. They're simply AMAZING to drive in bad weather. They actually drive better in bad weather. From that night forward, I called it the "Magical Water Spider". I loved mine. Only reason I got rid of it was because it was underpowered when I moved to Birmingham in 2001. That's when I got my Maxima. The Outback was one of my best vehicles I have ever owned. Infact, if my wife wasn't so resistant to the stigma of a station wagon, that 4runner sitting in our driveway would've actually been an Outback XT (turbo model). I will have another one in my life, I promise you that!

PS: In the 40k miles I put on it, not a single problem, not even a blown fuse.

Go drive an outback in hurricane rains at 80mph...you'll buy it on the spot, I guarantee you! I drove my 99' from Wilmington, NC to Charlotte back in 99' DURING hurricane Floyd, which flooded the entire state (was driving while it was flooding). I never went below 60 mph in that thing, and wasn't one bit scared or nervous about it. They're simply AMAZING to drive in bad weather. They actually drive better in bad weather. From that night forward, I called it the "Magical Water Spider". I loved mine. Only reason I got rid of it was because it was underpowered when I moved to Birmingham in 2001. That's when I got my Maxima. The Outback was one of my best vehicles I have ever owned. Infact, if my wife wasn't so resistant to the stigma of a station wagon, that 4runner sitting in our driveway would've actually been an Outback XT (turbo model). I will have another one in my life, I promise you that!

PS: In the 40k miles I put on it, not a single problem, not even a blown fuse.

Oh, yeah, I mean, Subaru wasn't even on our radar until I did some research and decided to go and take a look at one. Now I would say it's easily in my top 5, maybe top 3 when you consider price also.

I'd encourage you to go drive the MDX. My parents have a '08, and I LOVE driving it. It feels pretty sporty, and the SH-AWD is superb (up to 70% of the power to the rear and up to 90% to the front wheels). This car is terrific in the rain; the MDX just eats it up--it feels very heavy and solid. I guess this is a trait of a good AWD system since the Subarus are highly regarded in this area too. They have the Tech and power liftgate package. I wish it had keyless start, but they kind of make up for it with bump start and a sweet looking switchblade key. Dealer service is first rate too. Oh yeah, the nav actually works when the car is moving too!! B)

I know styling is purely subjective, but I don't see why people hate Acuras so much. I think it's a great looking car...

post-1461-1254779927_thumb.jpg

Otherwise, I'd find a new leftover Mercedes W211 bluetec (one of my absolute all time favorite cars). I saw one on ebay the other day that was $12k off the sticker...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...p;category=6335

The 010 Subaru Outback is a great looking vehicle- but still, it's a "Subaru". It's probably a lot of bang for the buck, but it still has that "Subaru" badge.

It's like the case of the Hyundai Genesis. The new Genesis flagship is incredibly good looking, has all of the same features you'd find in the LS and BMW 5 etc... and would probably last just as long as the Lexus. But the name. It's the name!

It's hard to justify spending big bucks on a "hyundai" when you can spend the same for a "lexus". Not because you think it's any lesser of a vehicle, but because of the name. When paying a lot for a car, part of that is the name, we all know it <_<

I'd encourage you to go drive the MDX. My parents have a '08, and I LOVE driving it. It feels pretty sporty, and the SH-AWD is superb (up to 70% of the power to the rear and up to 90% to the front wheels). This car is terrific in the rain; the MDX just eats it up--it feels very heavy and solid. I guess this is a trait of a good AWD system since the Subarus are highly regarded in this area too. They have the Tech and power liftgate package. I wish it had keyless start, but they kind of make up for it with bump start and a sweet looking switchblade key. Dealer service is first rate too. Oh yeah, the nav actually works when the car is moving too!! B)

I know styling is purely subjective, but I don't see why people hate Acuras so much. I think it's a great looking car...

post-1461-1254779927_thumb.jpg

Otherwise, I'd find a new leftover Mercedes W211 bluetec (one of my absolute all time favorite cars). I saw one on ebay the other day that was $12k off the sticker...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...p;category=6335

You know Blake, Acura makes a great product. I've owned a few Honda Accords and they were tanks with great gas mileage. I guess I owe it to them to atleast go and seriously look at one, but I will say ahead of time, it's that dang huge chrome smiley face in the front that really turns me off. If that's shallow and dumb, then well, ok, but it's what I see everytime I look at them. I just keep thinking with all the creative minds and modern contemporary designs to shoose from, that they thought this one was it? (head shakes in dissapointment.) I really liked the previous model TL, and if it wasn't for the power difference of the IS350, that car would have been a very very close second. But alas, it twas not to bee. So, I'll go and look at one and see if I can overcome it and get feedback from my wife as well.

The 010 Subaru Outback is a great looking vehicle- but still, it's a "Subaru". It's probably a lot of bang for the buck, but it still has that "Subaru" badge.

It's like the case of the Hyundai Genesis. The new Genesis flagship is incredibly good looking, has all of the same features you'd find in the LS and BMW 5 etc... and would probably last just as long as the Lexus. But the name. It's the name!

It's hard to justify spending big bucks on a "hyundai" when you can spend the same for a "lexus". Not because you think it's any lesser of a vehicle, but because of the name. When paying a lot for a car, part of that is the name, we all know it <_<

I'm not denying your point at all, in fact I mostly agree, but I guess I don't see Subaru as far down the ladder as you. The WRX, STI and Outback have been around for years and years on top of thier market. I know in the early 90's they didn't seem to offer any luxury items like leather, and dual zone a/c and what not, but they do now. And with thier Rally racing background, they really know how to build a tough vehicle. I do admit that I also like the "greener" production plant they have here in the US. I'm not saying I would buy one because of that, I have to like and live with the car, not the plant.

I find nothing wrong with the "Subaru" badge, honestly. They're a unique brand that has always remained true to their character. Nobody can compete with their DNA, which in my mind, puts them in their own category. They're not like Hyndia or Kia, who simply rip off design cues from luxury segments to make a cheaper version of an existing product. When I had my Outback, everybody loved it! Chics thought it was cool, guys loved the utility of it, and I loved the uniqueness of it. I'm serious, I'd trade that 4runner in the driveway for one in a heartbeat, if my wife wouldn't throw a fit. She's more focused on "brand image" than I am. I don't see "subaru", I see AWD speed buggy that is very comfy, safe, capable, and extremely reliable. Plus, looks good in any situation, from camping along the beach, to the country club.

You put your foot into a turbo charged Subaru, and you'll be watching traffic in your rear view mirror. The former Outback XT would hit 60 in the mid 5 second range. You try to spin out the AWD system, and you'll be having a ton of fun! I drove mine in 9 inches of snow in 2000 down in Wilmington. I couldn't get the tail to swing around. It would kick out about 45 degrees, then the AWD system would simply snap it back into place. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get it do to a 180 donut.

I'm bias to their assembly plant though, as my dad was responsible for bringing Subaru to Lafayette, Indiana in the early 80's to begin with. We use to live their (moved to OKC in 1984), and he got the city and state to issue the tax incentives to Subaru that brought them there. It's still there, and is one of the most beloved employers in that area.

They're simply a solid company, build solid products, don't follow the mainstream, and will simply run circles around the vast majority of automobiles on the planet - all day long.

Nobody's saying that a "Surbaru" compares with a Lexus...it doesn't, its not a luxury marque.

It's hard to justify spending big bucks on a "hyundai" when you can spend the same for a "lexus". Not because you think it's any lesser of a vehicle, but because of the name. When paying a lot for a car, part of that is the name, we all know it

You can spend the same bucks and get a Lexus. But the cost of a Hyundai Genesis V8 will buy you not even a UL ES350. The Genesis is RWD, has a V8...the ES350 is FWD with a V6.

Just because the ES is a "Lexus" doesn't automatically mean its a better car...

They sell very well as they are.

I think the Genesis is a better car than the ES for sure. If it weren't for the name, they'd be more popular.

Then I don't quite understand your point. Since the ES is the only Lexus sedan you can buy with the same money a Genesis costs, then you're saying that the fact that the vehicle is a "Lexus" wins out over any other benefits the Genesis may have?

I do agree, brand makes a difference, I don't know how big a difference it makes though at the $40k price point. People buy non-luxury branded cars all the time for $40k. I would miss owning a luxury branded car if I bought a Genesis I admit.

Genesis was originally supposed to be its own marque with dealers, etc. Might have improved image, but would have also drastically increased cost...

I see people replace the Hyundai emblems on their Genesis' all the time...they make a winged Genesis emblem...

They sell very well as they are.
I think the Genesis is a better car than the ES for sure. If it weren't for the name, they'd be more popular.

Then I don't quite understand your point. Since the ES is the only Lexus sedan you can buy with the same money a Genesis costs, then you're saying that the fact that the vehicle is a "Lexus" wins out over any other benefits the Genesis may have?

I do agree, brand makes a difference, I don't know how big a difference it makes though at the $40k price point. People buy non-luxury branded cars all the time for $40k. I would miss owning a luxury branded car if I bought a Genesis I admit.

Genesis was originally supposed to be its own marque with dealers, etc. Might have improved image, but would have also drastically increased cost...

I see people replace the Hyundai emblems on their Genesis' all the time...they make a winged Genesis emblem...

I've seen those to!!! LOL! Looks almost like a Bentley emblem. And they put those stupid plastic "air vent" stickers on the sides alot to.

Those emblems are from the Korean-market Genesis I think, at least they're oem!

I haven't seen the air vent stick-ons lol

Yeah, maybe that's a Florida thing. I see them on alot of Dodge Chargers and 300's too.