Loose Rear View Mirror

I've read on earlier models there was a issue with shaking rear view mirrors and Lexus issue a TSB. But on my '09, when I drive at 50 MPH the mirror vibrates so much that I can barely make anything out.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Only when the sunroof is open... yours is shaking with it closed?

I am amazed that this even happens in this car. Will take it in at 5K for the first oil change and hopefully get it fixed. Totally unexpected in a car of this caliber. Can't even see the cars behind you...safety issue for sure...missin out on all this sun in Washington!

Does not sound like the regular mirror vibration problem which occurs with sunroof open. They will swap out for a new mirror with no issue. I did have mine replaced for the sunroof issue and quite frankly never noticed a difference - still tends to vibrate. But not anywhere near the level you speak of.

I've had this issue on all three IS's I've owned. I've had the mirror replaced on the last two IS's. Never really fixed the problem comletely. That's with the sunroof opened or closed. The '09 one still vibrates a little, but it's better than the others.....

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely a problem. I had my brand new '08 swapped out immediately for a new part, and it still didn't fix the annoying vibration. Went back to the dealer again and this time a tech and a rep and I all got into another brand new '08, and just from the tech simply shutting the front passenger door when he got into the car, we could tell it was a universal problem. Seems to happen more with the radio on and the bass at higher levels of 3, 4 and 5 vs. 1 or 2. Very disappointing on a brand new car and I agree ... totally unexpected on a car of this caliber.

I have noticed that the deflector that pops up when the sunroof slides back may be the source of this vibration. If you just put your hand against it, it stops.

In any case, taking the IS in for its first oil change. We'll see what they can do for us. Might have to just keep the mirror and change the car out for an IS-F...:)

Update : dealer says that Lexus is working on a solution for this problem on the 09, and that at this time they don't have a fix. Thats nice...I'll just keep the sunroof closed so I can use the rearview mirror. I think you could say the perfection Lexus is pursuing is rather elusive.

Also a huge drop in the quality of sound using the iPod interface, either with the fancy one in the glovebox or the aux one in the armrest. Both are terribly poor. This is after being totally impressed with the one in our 07 IS. Dealer says they can't find anything wrong whatsoever. No, it's not the ML, but in our 07, the sound was quite sufficient. In the 09, not so much. Supposedly the exact same unit and speakers. Maybe so, but the sound is not exact. And yes, i've tried every possible setting. Some are better than others, but nothing close to the sound in the 07.

Update : dealer says that Lexus is working on a solution for this problem on the 09, and that at this time they don't have a fix. Thats nice...I'll just keep the sunroof closed so I can use the rearview mirror. I think you could say the perfection Lexus is pursuing is rather elusive.

Also a huge drop in the quality of sound using the iPod interface, either with the fancy one in the glovebox or the aux one in the armrest. Both are terribly poor. This is after being totally impressed with the one in our 07 IS. Dealer says they can't find anything wrong whatsoever. No, it's not the ML, but in our 07, the sound was quite sufficient. In the 09, not so much. Supposedly the exact same unit and speakers. Maybe so, but the sound is not exact. And yes, i've tried every possible setting. Some are better than others, but nothing close to the sound in the 07.

I think a wind visor for the sunroof would fix the wind buffet issue your having. When I added an adjustable suspension to my 350 I lowered it and leveled the suspenion height. Now I can have the sunroof open and all the windows closed while cruising at 70 with no problem. I would imagine that the 250 AWD models would probably have a tougher issue as they have to be a bit higher and I've noticed a bit more uneven as a result.

The sound quality issue your having....does it sound ok if you use the auxilary input from the center console? what interface unit are you using?

Either iPod interface is equally poor. The one in the glovebox, which also charges it and is controlled by the various buttons and such on the unit is the worst. The aux input in the console is maybe just a little better, but a far cry from the one in our 07. In the 07, I distinctly remember listening to Steely Dan's Aja album from the ipod...amazing. Or Earth, Wind and Fire, or James Taylor, or Carole King...they all sounded terrific. In the 09 I'd just assume not listen. Talk radio maybe, but that's just too depressing or it makes me yell at the radio....I know, personal problem.

Either iPod interface is equally poor. The one in the glovebox, which also charges it and is controlled by the various buttons and such on the unit is the worst. The aux input in the console is maybe just a little better, but a far cry from the one in our 07. In the 07, I distinctly remember listening to Steely Dan's Aja album from the ipod...amazing. Or Earth, Wind and Fire, or James Taylor, or Carole King...they all sounded terrific. In the 09 I'd just assume not listen. Talk radio maybe, but that's just too depressing or it makes me yell at the radio....I know, personal problem.

Here's what I would do, first, get a friends ipod and connect it and see if it sounds better. Both thru the aux and the interface. If it sounds the way it should, then it's your ipod. If it sounds just as bad as before then I would take the car in and have them first check the interface connection to make sure it's connected right , and then if needed replace the head unit. There are several internal electronic filters and audio shaper circuits that may for some reason not be calibrated right or just set to defective levels from the mfgr. I have an 08, and the ipod interface sounds great. the stereo used to be the first thing I would rip out and replace with an aftermarket unit, but not with this set up. I did add some peripheral hardware though like a bass amp and larger sub, but that's been it.