30k Service

Would you recommend servicing your car at the dealership or finding an indepedent mechanic? If so, what type of certification should I look for when looking for a 3rd party mechanic? Thanks.

The only thing I had Lexus do on that service was to flush and fill the brake fluid. Cost about $80. The oil change, engine and cabin filters, you or almost anyone else can do. I get the genuine filters from irontoad.com

Would you also recommend changing the transmission fluid? I ask because the dealership charges $500.00 for the 30k service.

That's actually much "cheaper" than Redwood City Putnam Lexus' service. They are charging $699.00 + tax for the 30K service. I believe most of you will find the price ridiculously high in many ways.

Yea Lexus of Albuquerque tried to charge me $525.00 for the 15, 000 mile service which was supposedly included servicing the tranny. When told the service guy that it was sealed and shouldn't need service he was all umm umm. I just changed the air filter myself which took 20 minutes and had them do the oil change. I refuse to have them do any work other than warranty work because of their practices.

What's the air conditioner filter listed in the service schedule? Is it the one in the glove box?

Yes it is. You can get it from Irontoad for about half the price as from the Lexus dealers.

Another Q Bartkat: I never turn on the cabin recirculation button thingy. Should I still need to replace the filter in the glovebox or is there a separate filter for the A/C. Thanks.

What's the air conditioner filter listed in the service schedule? Is it the one in the glove box?

Yes it is. You can get it from Irontoad for about half the price as from the Lexus dealers.

Another Q Bartkat: I never turn on the cabin recirculation button thingy. Should I still need to replace the filter in the glovebox or is there a separate filter for the A/C. Thanks.

If you run the A/C on auto, then sometimes it's on recirc anyway. Best thing to do is pull the filter and look at it to see if it's dirty or clogged.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys!

Can somebody recommend me a place or website, where I can buy those air and air conditioner filters?

I checked at my local dealership and they were $200 both :o

And the whole 30k scheduled maintenance was $650!

Thanks a lot! Very nice forum!

Hi guys!

Can somebody recommend me a place or website, where I can buy those air and air conditioner filters?

I checked at my local dealership and they were $200 both :o

And the whole 30k scheduled maintenance was $650!

Thanks a lot! Very nice forum!

$200!!!! That just doesn't make any sense. I just changed both my engine air and cabin filters for my 30k. I got both at Pep Boys for $19.99 for engine & $11.99 for the cabin. Both are made by Purolator. When I changed them in 2007 for my 15K, I bought them from the dealer for $42.56 & $23.99 so I was extremely happy to see them carried at Pep Boys for such a discounted price. I'd be willing to bet other auto stores carry them as well. I did check the quality with the old ones I bought from the dealer and I could see nor feel any difference in quality. DIY and save $, it's not that hard.