Rx300 New Battery

I just bought one this week at Costco, the old one died after 5 years. They prorated the old one for a 40percent credit....

I've bought about 4 or 5 AutoZone Gold over the years in various vehicles and they are excellent! I usually try to time it so I hit my $20 off the purchase with their rewards card.

When their batteries start to fail it is not like a light switch, rather a slow degrade around the 5 year mark.

I've bought about 4 or 5 AutoZone Gold over the years in various vehicles and they are excellent! I usually try to time it so I hit my $20 off the purchase with their rewards card.

When their batteries start to fail it is not like a light switch, rather a slow degrade around the 5 year mark.

thats the way I went today. One new battery! :rolleyes:

When you all installed your batteries, was it as simple as with other cars? Did you have any problems with the car's computer loosing settings?

Solace

When they installed my battery yesterday, pretty basic, but they install a 9volt battery in the lighter to keep the computer and radio settings. They said if you did not do this the car wont start for 30 minutes.....I think thats wrong.

When they installed my battery yesterday, pretty basic, but they install a 9volt battery in the lighter to keep the computer and radio settings. They said if you did not do this the car wont start for 30 minutes.....I think thats wrong.

Thanks Jeff.

I am just trying to get ready for when it is time for my battery change. Where did you get yours changed? Do you think using a 9Volt battery is something that all mechs know to do, so if I take mine to AutoZone and install it in the parking lot. They will have the 9V battery attachment?

Solace

Thanks Jeff.

I am just trying to get ready for when it is time for my battery change. Where did you get yours changed? Do you think using a 9Volt battery is something that all mechs know to do, so if I take mine to AutoZone and install it in the parking lot. They will have the 9V battery attachment?

Solace

Solace,

Thats where I had mine installed. I got the gold, 3 years replacement 84 month. 95.00 out the door, pretty good deal.

Jeff

Costco battery is $65 and core charge, I did mine in their parking lot. Took only a 10mm wrench and about 4 minutes. Went in with the old battery came out with the new installed and no settings were lost on the radio or otherwise. Second time I have done this in 11 years. The 9 v battery is a bunch of crap, especially since the cigarette lighter is dead unless the ignition is left in the on position.... the iCostco battery is 3 year free replacement and 100 month warranty total. 800ah battery and 650ah cold start....

The 9 Volt battery works well in a car where the cigarette lighter is not switched by the ignition.

If you would plug it into a switched socket and turn on the key that would instantly kill the 9 volt battery and render it useless. Anyway, you shouldn't change the battery with the ignition on, that's verboten.

Karl

The 9 Volt battery works well in a car where the cigarette lighter is not switched by the ignition.

If you would plug it into a switched socket and turn on the key that would instantly kill the 9 volt battery and render it useless. Anyway, you shouldn't change the battery with the ignition on, that's verboten.

Karl

Karl, you are so correct, I tried it once because I have one of those devices and used a new "Copper Top", what I consider the gold standard for batteries and when I was done (didn't take too long), I checked the battery and was astonished that it was below 9V. I figured all it had to do was keep the memories alive- boy was I wrong! I didn't even have the ignition on! Never have figured what drained it but I had checked it before I started and it was definitely a new battery at about 9.3+V

When you all installed your batteries, was it as simple as with other cars? Did you have any problems with the car's computer loosing settings?

Solace

"They said if you did not do this the car wont start for 30 minutes....." WHAT the Hell are they talking about???!! They better just stick to selling parts,and thats all!! :pirate:

Solace

"They said if you did not do this the car wont start for 30 minutes....." WHAT the Hell are they talking about???!! They better just stick to selling parts,and thats all!! :pirate:

Well they have to make it look like they know more than you.

Solace

Yeah I suppose your right about that.

Solace

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• 12 years later...
On 6/14/2009 at 3:32 PM, Solace said:

Solace

I called 4 dealerships.. granted it is Sunday.   Not much help .

I do know that the seats need to be reset.

I was told you did NOT need to do resets for mileage.   One online help, said it would reset by itself over a week or so.

They all wanted me to bring it in.

One Service guy said drive it for 30 min after jump starting it and it will be ok. ???   Sounds like I'll try that.