How The Ls Saved My Ass!

Last week, I was crawling through a local market area looking for a parking spot. After circling the block a couple of times, I found a spot. Parked the car ... started organizing some stuff on the seat I wanted to take with me ... whap! This drunken baffoon bangs his backpack into my side window. I take a look at him while still trying to organize my stuff. He decides to take another swipe ... misses ... almost loses his balance then starts yelling at me to "PAY UP!" Stocky, grubby, and and built like a brickhouse, I could see that unmistakable glazed look in his eyes that always accompanies prodigious alcohol consumption.

My first instinct was to get out and prevent any damage to the car before he starts another swing. The bigger they are, the less likely I am to back down. Instead, I kept hearing Master Wong saying "walk away - walk away" and Sensei Suzuki saying "deflect rather than confront". So I started the car and gave up my spot and left the bewildered drunk mumbling something. A few feet down the road, those voices were gone. Anger was taking their place. Why did I have to give up a perfect parking spot? Why did I let this tool think he got away with intimidation? I'm sure he's done this with many others. Why didn't I teach him some manners? Now I was looking for a safer spot to park so I could leave the car, go back and properly address this lowlife. Getting frustrated at not being able to find a spot, I actually stopped the car in the middle of the road, got out intending to walk down about thirty feet to where the sob was still teetering, but by now there were cars behind me blowing their horns - so I got back in and took off, mashing the pedal until I got into a lineup making a turn. As I slowly circled the block, I had time to cool down and think about a few things.

Firstly, because I didn't want to take the chance that my car was going to get dinged or worse - broken glass, etc., I moved away from the threat. This got me away from a possible encounter which would have ended badly for the drunk. Having martial arts training in several diciplines, it would have possibly ended up worse for me. Last thing I needed was to drop this guy and have him bang his head on the pavement or suffer a heart attack as I apply a choke hold or an arm lock. Even if I had simply redirected an attack into say, a lamp post, I'm not sure that I wouldn't have been charged. If it had been my volvo beater, I could be in a very tight situation today. But it was my mint LS that I enjoy so much ... and there was no way I was letting her get beat on ... that day she paid me back and saved my !Removed!!

Last week, I was crawling through a local market area looking for a parking spot. After circling the block a couple of times, I found a spot. Parked the car ... started organizing some stuff on the seat I want to take with me ... whap! This drunken baffoon bangs his backpack into my side window. I take a look at him while still trying to organize my stuff. He decides to take another swipe ... misses ... almost loses his balance then starts yelling at me to "PAY UP!" Stocky, grubby, and and built like a brickhouse, I could see that unmistakable glazed look in his eyes that always accompanies prodigious alcohol consumption.

My first instinct was to get out and prevent any damage to the car before he starts another swing. The bigger they are, the less likely I am to back down. Instead, I kept hearing Master Wong saying "walk away - walk away" and Sensei Suzuki saying "deflect rather than confront". So I started the car and gave up my spot and left the bewildered drunk mumbling something. A few feet down the road, those voices were gone. Anger was taking their place. Why did I have to give up a perfect parking spot? Why did I let this tool think he got away with intimidation. I'm sure he's done this with many others. Why didn't I teach him some manners? Now I was looking for a safer spot to park so I could leave the car, go back and properly address this lowlife. Getting frustrated at not being able to find a spot, I actually stopped the car in the middle of the road, got out to walk down about thirty feet to where the sob was still teetering, but by now there were cars behind me blowing their horns - so I got back in and took off, mashing the pedal until I got into a lineup making a turn. As I slowly circled the block, I had time to cool down and think about a few things.

Firstly, because I didn't want to take the chance that my car was going to get dinged or worse - broken glass, etc., I moved away from the threat. This got me away from a possible encounter which would have ended badly for the drunk. Having martial arts training in several diciplines, it would have possibly ended up worse for me. Last thing I needed was to drop this guy and have him bang his head on the pavement or suffer a heart attack as I apply a choke hold or an arm lock. Even if I had simply redirected an attack into say, a lamp post, I'm not sure that I wouldn't have been charged. If it had been my volvo beater, I could be in a very tight situation today. But it was my mint LS that I enjoy so much ... and there was no way I was letting her get beat on ... that day she paid me back and saved my !Removed!!

You did the absolute right thing. From whatever level of analysis you wish to take (except for the primitive / primeval) you took the course that had the lowest downside to you, and additionally provides you with greater strength of thought and character. Keep in driving the LS and leave the Volvo at home!

It's the spirit of the LS keeping you on the high road :)

Maybe not the funnest choice to make... but definitely the RIGHT one B)

Hopefully there was no damage to your pride & joy!

Last week, I was crawling through a local market area looking for a parking spot. After circling the block a couple of times, I found a spot. Parked the car ... started organizing some stuff on the seat I wanted to take with me ... whap! This drunken baffoon bangs his backpack into my side window. I take a look at him while still trying to organize my stuff. He decides to take another swipe ... misses ... almost loses his balance then starts yelling at me to "PAY UP!" Stocky, grubby, and and built like a brickhouse, I could see that unmistakable glazed look in his eyes that always accompanies prodigious alcohol consumption.

My first instinct was to get out and prevent any damage to the car before he starts another swing. The bigger they are, the less likely I am to back down. Instead, I kept hearing Master Wong saying "walk away - walk away" and Sensei Suzuki saying "deflect rather than confront". So I started the car and gave up my spot and left the bewildered drunk mumbling something. A few feet down the road, those voices were gone. Anger was taking their place. Why did I have to give up a perfect parking spot? Why did I let this tool think he got away with intimidation? I'm sure he's done this with many others. Why didn't I teach him some manners? Now I was looking for a safer spot to park so I could leave the car, go back and properly address this lowlife. Getting frustrated at not being able to find a spot, I actually stopped the car in the middle of the road, got out intending to walk down about thirty feet to where the sob was still teetering, but by now there were cars behind me blowing their horns - so I got back in and took off, mashing the pedal until I got into a lineup making a turn. As I slowly circled the block, I had time to cool down and think about a few things.

:cheers: To the stand up guy :cheers: I would have done the same................

My, what is wrong with these people? Sounds like he was a blooming idiot! Fancy speaking to you like that and belting your car. Dont people have any respect even when they are intoxicated? Guess not, they are out of their skulls. I am a little confused, does he really expect someone to pay him money to park on a public parking slot? Sounds like he was the villan enemy in a video game that you have to defeat for your space! How crazy and what an experience. I have not ever experienced anything of that nature before. Some people never fail to amaze me.

You did the right thing by cooling down and pressing on without brutal force- good thing you didnt want the Lexus battered... I am sure someone will eventually teach this joker a lesson. <_<

Kudo's for doing the right thing. The sot will no dought get his in due time. I would have done like you, anything to preserve the LS 400.

I have always said when in a bad situation that I will do anything to avoid conflict, even running away, but I hope for their sake that they don't catch me.

You have given me some important food for thought, Eating. I carry a Sig 9mm in the door pocket of my '04 S430 MB (the LS430 is my wife's car). I have a carry permit, so it is legal for me to have it in the car, and legal for me to use it. I have occasion to drive through some fairly dangerous parts of town at night (any other route is a half hour longer), and I have pondered how willing I am to use deadly force to protect myself. I don't think damage to my vehicle would be provocation enough, but personal threat is something else. Of course, like the Lexus, somebody unarmed would have a problem breaking into my car.

Of course I'm also reminded that setting off a handgun in a closed car will blow the windows out and deafen anyone in the car for a long time. All that nonsense where people shoot through the windshield without blood running out their ears is for movie consumption.

Anyway, thanks for the lesson.