Question: What Made You Buy The Is250 Or Is350 Or The 3 Series Bmw?

Simple question, maybe not such a simple answer? I just test drove the BMW 328xi (all wheel drive) automatic sedan, it was great and I am also considering the 335i, I unfortunately have not had time to test drive the Lexus yet, although I plan on doing so. I test drove the Audi A4 2.0t quattro and ruled it out. Just curious as to why you went with what you did, either with the IS250 or IS350. I have not decided if I would get the 250 or 350, I know I would prefer the 350 and all wheel drive is not essential. Just as a side note, does anyone have the IS350 rear wheel drive sedan in a cold snowy climate? How does it do with snow tires? I know the rear wheel drive BMW's with proper snow tires perform very well, I currently own one, a 95 5 Series.

Would appreciate as much insight as I can get from this forum about the positive and negative attributes about the IS compared to the BMW 3 series. Good & Bad, would you make the same choice again? I think from dimensions they appear to be very similar in size.

Thanks for your help!

Steve from NYC

I used to have a 2000 323i, it's a solid car and I loved it when I had it. The biggest problem I found with it was annoying electrical problems that plagued the life of the car. Mind you all the German cars seem to have electrical issues of some sort as they get older. The biggest difference I found between the two cars is the handling of the BMW is superior to the Lexus. Don't get me wrong the IS handles just fine, just not like a BMW. However the interior, fit, finish, ride and quality of the IS is equal or better than the BMW, and the car is quite the looker as well. If you think about it the majority of times an owner will get to push the vehicle to the limits of handling is minimal. So for the other 90% of the time the Lexus IS 250/350 is a superior vehicle.

my choice was very easy. the only bmw models i like become far too expensive for what i'll pay for a car...affordable or not, it's just too much $$$ for a depreciating item to me. i also got my 350 at nearly $9k off of sticker price (not used...bought it new), which helped a bit too.:cheers:

summary:

1. lexus reliability

2. power/smooth engine

3. beautiful styling

4. ridiculous deal on it at the time

comming from europe, I see bmw all over the place, the 3 serie is smooth and have superb handling, but with the options to choose for the car, it just dosent justify the price and keep in mind over here, atleast in scandinavia, it is unusual to lease cars, we gotta buy them instead.

I always liked lexus alot. After having a cadillac sts, then cts and currently an srx, I decided to buy a slighty used is 250 from 2006 so my wife have the srx, I just love my is 250, one of the most wellbuild and reliable cars to get, which for me is crucial, since I gotta use my car pretty much everyday. Besides service is great and here you dont see a lexus that much, so thats a bonus too i think for me personally. The updated is model, looks like a real killer, so im just waiting to see what will happen with the is hybrid model when it comes out

Henrik

Simple question, maybe not such a simple answer? I just test drove the BMW 328xi (all wheel drive) automatic sedan, it was great and I am also considering the 335i, I unfortunately have not had time to test drive the Lexus yet, although I plan on doing so. I test drove the Audi A4 2.0t quattro and ruled it out. Just curious as to why you went with what you did, either with the IS250 or IS350. I have not decided if I would get the 250 or 350, I know I would prefer the 350 and all wheel drive is not essential. Just as a side note, does anyone have the IS350 rear wheel drive sedan in a cold snowy climate? How does it do with snow tires? I know the rear wheel drive BMW's with proper snow tires perform very well, I currently own one, a 95 5 Series.

Would appreciate as much insight as I can get from this forum about the positive and negative attributes about the IS compared to the BMW 3 series. Good & Bad, would you make the same choice again? I think from dimensions they appear to be very similar in size.

Thanks for your help!

Steve from NYC

I chose the IS350 over the 335 because:

1. although limited space in the back there is seating for (albeit a short) 5th person

2. Lexus reliability and resale

3. the 335 feels faster (gotta be the extra torque) but it does it with direct injection fuel AND dual turbo's (lrepair/work nightmare out of warranty)

4. Aluminum block with dual turbos? Even with the cast iron liners I just don't like it. See #3.

5. I think the Lexus interior is close to perfection

6. Lexus Dealer bent over backwards (and continues to do so even after the sale)

(p.s. I didn't like the Quattro either. You should drive an IS350, if it fits you will like it!)

Good luck!

All great answers! I can easily identify and nod yes as I read all of them. And the only thing I can think of to add is that the IS just fits my life. It's just the right combination, without being too focused. I allways felt like I had to sacrifice something with all my other choices, or spend to much money to get what I wanted. The IS 350 just stood alone when I looked at it as a collective. And not to mention, I think the IS is the best looking car of all of them anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
why haven't you considered the Infiniti G37 AWD?

My wife and I test drove one. The torque was AMAZING -- neck snapping! The backup camera was incredible--has guides to help you backup/park. As long as the guide goes where you want so does the car.

The deal breaker was the lack of lumbar support on the passenger side (drivers has it). It is not even an option. The next step up (M?) has passenger lumbar but is a lot more money, doesn't have the 3.7, and my wife still preferred the IS seating.

I know a lot of people like the G interior, but in general I felt it wasn't as nice as some of it's competitors. Did I mention it had a lot of torque? :)

I chose the Lexus over the BMW because BMW is sort of in a way cheating or taking the easy way out in terms of the competition. Instead of making a new or bigger engine to compete with the 3.5L of the Lexus, they just decided to add twin turbos to an existing 3.0L engine. IMHO having turbos is like cheating. If you can't take the time to build a strong naturally aspirated engine then don't even bother. You can add enough turbo to any engine and make it fast, so what. Because if you remember the 2006 330i only had 250hp or something like that. So when the new IS350 came out...they were scrambling for a quick and easy fix to compete. And besides that, I got navigation, back up camera, heated and cooled seats, HID headlights and a ton of other options for a sticker price of 43k.....if I added all of those options on the BMW the price was over 50k.....no thanks!! I don't know why BMW keeps getting first place in all the car magazines I subscribe to. The editors try and make up excuses for the reason they always win trying to state they are not biased and state the handling is just so superior they always win. But c'mon, they aren't THAT great of cars in comparison. I'll take my IS350 any day!!!