Premium Gas Vs. Mid-grade?

synikal1022

Hello guys and gals.....im new to this site and it looks GREAT!!!....My issue is that my 1998 ls400 with 120k on the clock runs great with premium and with mid-grade gasolines; the issue is that with premium fuel my check engine light comes on and the techs adviced me that its a catalytic converter inefficiency......when i run mid-grade gasoline it still runs great and even gets better mileage. What gives since the car requires premium.....thanks in advance for the info. <_<

I think we're all so tired of talking (arguing :D) about gas. haha

Welcome to the club though!!! :cheers: One thing that will help you tremendously IS in fact the search button up there :)

I, however, don't believe your CEL would be attributed to the octane rating of the gasoline you fill your car with.

What are the codes? Have you had them read?

Welcome to the club! Don't take offence, but we really don't need another thread on grades of fuel. There are too many around already! Check exactly what dtc comes up. Cat probs have nothing to do with grade of fuel.

Actually, I've been on this board for a long time, and I don't think I've ever seen a problem where the required gas would trip the cel, but the lower grade would not and produce better results. I'm interested in what the codes might be? I assume you've got the gas cap on tightly though, as that will trip the cel sometimes.

Don't mind these guys. I'm willing to bet that if I looked hard enough, they've probably asked questions that warrant their responses too. You get "freebies" for the first 20-30 posts before us old guys start asking if your shoe laces are too tight.

Don't mind these guys. I'm willing to bet that if I looked hard enough, they've probably asked questions that warrant their responses too. You get "freebies" for the first 20-30 posts before us old guys start asking if your shoe laces are too tight.

Gotta give NC props for reminding us that, although it might be "sameold sameold" for some of us, for others, it's a brand new problem, often with a brand new Lexus and a brand new forum. Good to have someone put things in perspective from time to time.

Gotta give NC props for reminding us that, although it might be "sameold sameold" for some of us, for others, it's a brand new problem, often with a brand new Lexus and a brand new forum. Good to have someone put things in perspective from time to time.

Cheers to that :cheers: Old blood breeds new blood, This is one of the foundations of these forums B) God Bless.

Thanx for all the info guys and gals. One of my buddies that works at a toyota dealership advised me that in our area premium can be very high in ethanol and that it could be messing with the oxygen sensor and causing the CEL to come on. Wish i could know without spending big bucks at the dealership :( ....other than that my car is perfect!!!!! even with 122k on it. Best vehicle i have ever owned.

only 10% ethanol tops right?

I don't think it would trip a CEL.

It COULD just be as simple as a bad O2 sensor......

worse than a bad O2 sensor is one that is taking its sweet time to die, the readings are out of spec enough to trigger a CEL for a catalytic inefficiency issue, but not out of spec enough to trigger the O2 sensor failure.