Sudden Acceleration Resulting In Crash

lol..you should really do more research, I'm sure you big lexus fan but lets get real..did you see the video?..do you know the gas pedal is controled by a computer?

how many computers do you know of that are 100% bug free?

come on man, you really dont believe these are all floor matt problems do you?

Most cars today use what is called “Electronic Throttle Control”.

The technology, electronic throttle control, uses sensors to tell a car’s computer how much to open the throttle, which lets in air, and how much fuel to inject into the engine to control speed. Automakers like the technology, which replaces a mechanical cable, for reliability and cost savings, and because its helps fuel economy and improves performance. Just like your PC at home this computer also has bugs leading to unintended acceleration and crashes causing injury or death.

If anyone has had sudden acceleration issues with the IS250 you need to see this.

http://www.autocoverup.com

I'm not surprised......you can google any car company and place "sudden acceleration" behind it and you will find millions of sites like these.

I'm sure it's all driver error or improperly installed floor mats......but.....if not...there is an easy fix in any car... The transmission in any car is easily put into neutral at any speed. <_<

sudden acceleration does happen and is real.

see this story and listen to the audio of the Lexus Tech.

http://www.autocoverup.com

Even if the electronic throttle control did create unintended acceleration, how would you explain simultaneous brake failure? Brakes to the floor and gas to the floor, brakes prevail.

Well i'm sorry I am a Lexus fan but honestly look where you are at. This IS INDEED a Lexus Ownership Club website. And I can see by your user name you obviously got on here just to post this. (which is lame) I think either you are very good friends with amcdonald...or are acutally him with a new name, or quite possibly the dumb person who wrecked their IS250 in the earlier pictures posted. Anyway...because you are such an expert on cruise control and computer problems I don't know why you are here trying to waste your time with fans. Send you expert opinion to Lexus. But I am sure they will have the same reaction as us. This is old news and almost every car company has supposedly had these problems. Remember AUDI, GM, and FORD? Do YOUR research.

ROFL. Let me assure you that he is not me with a different alias. He sent me a PM alerting me to that website a few hours ago when I was at work. I'm pretty sure he must be admin though because of his name.

I will say that I think there could be a legitimate flaw in the Lexus throttle system or something--I wouldn't think a newspaper (albeit not a great one) like USA Today would just waste their time writing about something they knew to be false.

I just don't understand what the motive would be for someone to lie about it, especially in cases where no accident or injury (or even a speeding ticket) was involved. Do you really think these people would just make that up? I can't say for sure that I agree.

I also think it's funny that you call someone dumb for being trapped in a car that may have well crashed due to some sort of design flaw.

It's a dumb driver until I see proof otherwise that it was a computer failure. But I guess I should not be so harsh. If it happens to me I will recant. And sorry I thought it was you playing a trick!!

Same story, "different guy", same old crap. If it's on the internet it's true.

BTW: I don't believe a member with just a few posts has PM privileges.

Thread closed.

Got something different and real? PM me.

I just want to add something.

Like I said, I've done a lot of research on this and these sites are all over the Internet for all different makes and models of cars.

It all comes back to the National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration, NHTSA which is an independent government sponsored agency with no ties to Toyota, Lexus, or any other car company. Their entire purpose is to make sure US vehicles are safe and meet safety standards and to investigate claims like these. They have investigated claims like these on Lexus vehicles...as well as many other marques' vehicles and have concluded that there is NO design or safety flaw and that ALL of the reported instances of unintended acceleration were the result of driver error. Which is the conclusion they have made for all of the unintented acceleration cases that came before them.

The USA Today article amcmcdonald posted is from 2004 involved the 02 ES300 (basically my car).

This is a quote from the article:

Specifically, NHTSA is investigating the electronic throttle control system in more than 1 million 2002-03 Toyota Camrys, Solaras and Lexus ES 300s. It has narrowed the probe to 11 complaints of engine surge, five that involved crashes. More than two dozen other complaints were dropped from the investigation.

The results of that investigation are in...driver error.

The 1988 Lincoln Town Car mentioned in that article has a cable throttle which would make any claim about inintended acceleration impossible! Something has to pull the cable.

To me, the results of this agency outweigh any crazy Internet conspiracy sites.

You say why would these people lie? They may believe it was unintended acceleration, but honestly its human nature to defer responsibility for unpleasant things from yourself to others. Doesn't surprise me at all.

My question is, why would the NHTSA lie? The only answer you could give me is some crazy conspiracy theory.

In the case the OP presented, it just doesn't make sense. The throttle on these cars is electronically controlled thats true (but these complaints are out there on cars with cable throttles too), but the brakes are still the old style hydraulic system. If her foot was firm on the brake she could have held the car there rather easily even under full throttle. It sounds like she hit the gas instead of the brake to me...

These cases always seem to happen when pulling into a parking space too, a common time when someone would be moving from gas to brake while hurredly preparing to get out of the car, etc.