Trip To Canada

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to drive my IS250AWD to Canada to have some picnic and skiing in Banff/Alberta.

What do you advise me to do and what shall I take with me, what kind of car preparation have to do? Advices shall be related to the car not skiing or whatsoever.

Thank you.

It might be a 6,000+ mile round trip from Miami to Banff and back but it's not like you are going to the North Pole. You will probably be on interstate highways or similar much of the way. You might want to have snow tires on your IS and make an appointment at the Lexus dealer in Calgary to have your car serviced before heading back.

It sounds like an adventure ... a very long, tiring adventure!

I know you didn't ask but ...Round trip air fare Miami to Banff is less than $450/person with advance purchase and it takes as little as 7 hours and only one stop to get there. A hard shell locking ski case like I have carries two sets of skis and poles and cost only about $100 -- it's great for air travel. You can get a shuttle from the Calgary airport to Banff if you don't want to rent a car -- a 1-way shuttle from the Calgary airport to Banff is as little as C$53 -- and the shuttles run many times each day.

Have fun!

What tires are you currently running on your IS for the trip? I'd do an oil change right before you leave for starters.

You have to be careful in that area of Canada.....the snowy mountains of the Canadian Rockies can be extremely challenging (tire chains are not uncommon even with winter tires from what I have heard). Not to mention the severe cold temps. But the scenery is breath taking.

Why not just fly considering the distance? That's one long trip. :blink:

:cheers:

:lol:

You are kidding right?

You are planning a 6000 mile trip in a car that is of questionable integrity?

That is kind of like asking opinions on what shoes to buy and then, at the last minute, springing the info that you don't actually have feet. :huh:

Statement of the Obvious: If you are planning what may be a beautiful, but very long and possibly challenging and even dangerous trip, your car should be in tip-top condition.

FWIW, we took our IS 250 AWD to Canada in November! Only difference is we live in Washington state....only a few hundred miles for us. But we did encounter some snowy, icy roads and the IS did just fine. Common sense is the best thing you can pack. Take breaks, don't over-do it, take your time and take lots of pictures. We were in the Canadian Okanogan in BC tasting lots of excellent wines....fantastic trip.

Let us know if/when you head out. I love road trips!

As much as I love driving my IS, I would get a rental for a trip like this. Get the insurance and drive it like you just don't care. :) Park it next to tourists, and trucks at the rest areas and admire the nice white line of road salt that has banacled the car. Eat and drink in it, and toss the bags on the back seat. I cringe thinking about doing that in my car!

As much as I love driving my IS, I would get a rental for a trip like this. Get the insurance and drive it like you just don't care. :) Park it next to tourists, and trucks at the rest areas and admire the nice white line of road salt that has banacled the car. Eat and drink in it, and toss the bags on the back seat. I cringe thinking about doing that in my car!

Smooth1, you're right but if you want to have at least one adventure in your life.

:lol:

You are kidding right?

You are planning a 6000 mile trip in a car that is of questionable integrity?

That is kind of like asking opinions on what shoes to buy and then, at the last minute, springing the info that you don't actually have feet. :huh:

Statement of the Obvious: If you are planning what may be a beautiful, but very long and possibly challenging and even dangerous trip, your car should be in tip-top condition.

Billy, the car will be serviced before take off.

As others have suggested, I would fly and rent a car. But I understand if you are determined to satisfy the conflicting adventures of ski vacation and road trip. I have done cross country trips on the interstate and 4x from CA to Banff in my Porsche. Spring, summer and fall. By as many back roads as I could.

The endless boring interstate hours will numb you. My max is about 1K miles/15 hours per day.

If you were going in Spring, I would recommend a detour

Banff via Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks

via MT 212 if it is open.

993mthwy212smallmb9.jpg

w432.png

mt212curve7vo2.jpg

w800.png

My max is about 1K miles/15 hours per day.

===========================================================

So, you recommend driving 500 miles then get a break (how long?) then drive another 500 miles before taking a rest until the next morning?

Depends. If I am on my own, I tank up with a 15 minute break every 300 miles. Drive through burger if I want to make time, sit down for lunch if in no hurry.

If I am with my wife, it costs me a half hour of her browsing the local gift shop for every 2 hours on the road. So we only manage 500 miles/day.

If you do 3+ days of interstate at 1K miles/day to get to Banff, you will not enjoy your ski time. By the time you get home, you will hate the interstate so much you will not want to do another road trip. If you want scenic driving, fly to Denver or SLC and rent a car from there.

hahahaha :lol: just don't even stop, if ur kids have to go to the bathroom, bring some bottles n' just throw the bottles in the back seat when ur kids r done with em'!