Towing With Rx300

idaho

I'm planning to buy a tent trailer but am concerned about towing it with my 2001 rx300. what little information I can find is negative for using this model to tow anything but the car's ratings seem to say i could pull a reasonably sized trailer. the trailers I'm considering have UVW's from 1,900 to 2,600 lbs. the rx300's curb weight (awd) is apparently 3,900lbs and the GVWR is 4,950lbs. can someone advise, please? thank you.

I'm planning to buy a tent trailer but am concerned about towing it with my 2001 rx300. what little information I can find is negative for using this model to tow anything but the car's ratings seem to say i could pull a reasonably sized trailer. the trailers I'm considering have UVW's from 1,900 to 2,600 lbs. the rx300's curb weight (awd) is apparently 3,900lbs and the GVWR is 4,950lbs. can someone advise, please? thank you.

I don't think I would tow anything more than a jet-ski or dirt bike with an RX.

I don't think I would tow anything more than a jet-ski or dirt bike with an RX.

ok, that seems anecdotal rather than, uh, factual... like, lexus says 'do not tow anything over 1000lbs' or something to that affect. on the contrary, they give pretty decent tow capability and the 2001 Tow Guide says 3500lbs is the max...?!

what experience did you have towing with yours? has anyone ever ruined their transmission?

thanks for the reply.

Hey guys,

I have a 2000 RX300 with what looks like the factory tow hitch in the back. Is there an easy way to see if I have the "tow prep" package???

Brian

Be careful, that 3500lb max is if you have the tow prep package. Without it you're limited to 2000lb.

I'm guessing the easiest way to tell would be to determine whether or not your car has a transmission cooler.

If the "TO" option is the towing package, it looks like 2001 was the first model year it was an option on the FWD RX and that it was standard on the 2001 AWD RX. Maybe it was standard on the 2000 AWD RX.

http://www.lexus.com/contact/pdf/2000/2000RXspecs.pdf

http://www.lexus.com/contact/pdf/2001/2001RXspecs.pdf

Okay now am really confussed LOL

The PDF for 2000 does not show a RED color, my 2000 RX300 is red. And I thought all of the RX's were AWD. I guess when the GF gets back from shopping am going under to see if what we have is FWD or AWD and to see just how this hitch is set up. Hummm

Brian

I'm guessing the easiest way to tell would be to determine whether or not your car has a transmission cooler.

If the "TO" option is the towing package, it looks like 2001 was the first model year it was an option on the FWD RX and that it was standard on the 2001 AWD RX. Maybe it was standard on the 2000 AWD RX.

Okay now am really confussed LOL

The PDF for 2000 does not show a RED color, my 2000 RX300 is red. And I thought all of the RX's were AWD. I guess when the GF gets back from shopping am going under to see if what we have is FWD or AWD and to see just how this hitch is set up. Hummm

Brian

i did speak with my local dealer because i was very confused, too - they say no problem towing a tent trailer staying within the 3500lb limit for the 2001 and no need for the additional tow package. says they see rx300's pulling lighter weight tent trailer all the time. i'm still looking hard at the trailer weights and gear before i buy, though!

can anyone suggest a good 'towing for dummies' sort of site? between GVWR, recommended tow load, curb weight, tongue weight, payload and water at 8.3 lbs per gallon..... i just wanna be safe! :-) thanks.

You can tell if you have the tow package by looking in the passenger wheel well and look through slits in the panel in front of the wheel. If you see slits and a cooler, than it has the tranny part of the tow package. Another view would be to look through the hole under the bumper, you will see the windshield washer bottle bottom, and behind that the cooler radiator. You would probably need a flashlight. Personally I have friends that did tow a tent trailer and the tranny lasted 150k miles, but almost all of the miles were highway. The stop and go type driving is murder on the RX tranny. The overdrive is constantly searching in city traffic. I have lost my tranny, and would personally not tow with this vehicle, although I have the tow package. The Transmission is nothing more than a Toyota Camry tranny and is the weakest link on the RX which is a heavier vehicle. I would do frequent drain and fills on the tranny if you do tow. DO NOT do a flush, from a lot of reading, it could spell death to the transmission if you have not had it serviced regularily. There is a tremendous amount of post of the RX300 transmission, be forwarned.

i did speak with my local dealer because i was very confused, too - they say no problem towing a tent trailer staying within the 3500lb limit for the 2001 and no need for the additional tow package. says they see rx300's pulling lighter weight tent trailer all the time. i'm still looking hard at the trailer weights and gear before i buy, though!

can anyone suggest a good 'towing for dummies' sort of site? between GVWR, recommended tow load, curb weight, tongue weight, payload and water at 8.3 lbs per gallon..... i just wanna be safe! :-) thanks.

You can find plenty of websites on towing by googling "trailer towing". Since towing is officially sanctioned for your car, I would think that your owners manual would have extensive guidelines.

I had a commercial license in the early 1970's so I could tow mobile homes to their final resting places. And I have had a trailer hitch on all my primary cars I've owned since the 1970s including both my first 90 LS400 and my current 2000 LS400. I've done quite a bit of towing.

From a comfort and safety standpoint, I wouldn't feel comfortable towing a trailer that exceeded one half a vehicle's curb weight unless I was towing a short distance. If we round the curb weight of your RX up to 4,000 pounds, this would limit your trailer gross weight to 2,000 pounds -- that would be the total trailer weight including everything you are going to pack into it.

Sure, you can tow a lot heavier trailer with a 4,000 pound vehicle but it can be stressful, especially if you are driving in high winds and in hilly country. I don't like stress -- it's not fun. I know a couple of people who tow substantially heavier pop-up tent trailers but they are using a full size van and a crew cab F150 pickup truck with full towing packages.

I once towed a 2,800 pound sailboat/trailer combination about 100 miles with a 3,500 pound 62 horsepower midsize Mercedes Diesel sedan. I proved it could be done but it wasn't a pleasant experience -- wished my trailer had brakes. And the sailboat/trailer tended to whipsaw the car around in the high winds -- the wind always blows in Kansas. Needless to say, I rented a full size pickup truck the next time I needed to move the boat.

If you don't have much experience with tent trailers, you might consider renting one at least once before you buy one. I've known several people who have rented tent trailers and even large RV's before they figured out what they really wanted. There sure are a bunch of used tent trailers for sale on Craigslist in my area -- like this barely used one: http://kansascity.craigslist.org/rvs/884205098.html The Forest River 176LTD like this one on Craigslist is more like the size I think is appropriate to pull with an RX -- "GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) 2,049 lbs." --> http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/default22...&series=MAC

At this time of year and in this economy, I'd bet you could buy a barely used nice tent trailer for a song.

You can find plenty of websites on towing by googling "trailer towing". Since towing is officially sanctioned for your car, I would think that your owners manual would have extensive guidelines.

I had a commercial license in the early 1970's so I could tow mobile homes to their final resting places. And I have had a trailer hitch on all my primary cars I've owned since the 1970s including both my first 90 LS400 and my current 2000 LS400. I've done quite a bit of towing.

From a comfort and safety standpoint, I wouldn't feel comfortable towing a trailer that exceeded one half a vehicle's curb weight unless I was towing a short distance. If we round the curb weight of your RX up to 4,000 pounds, this would limit your trailer gross weight to 2,000 pounds -- that would be the total trailer weight including everything you are going to pack into it.

Sure, you can tow a lot heavier trailer with a 4,000 pound vehicle but it can be stressful, especially if you are driving in high winds and in hilly country. I don't like stress -- it's not fun. I know a couple of people who tow substantially heavier pop-up tent trailers but they are using a full size van and a crew cab F150 pickup truck with full towing packages.

I once towed a 2,800 pound sailboat/trailer combination about 100 miles with a 3,500 pound 62 horsepower midsize Mercedes Diesel sedan. I proved it could be done but it wasn't a pleasant experience -- wished my trailer had brakes. And the sailboat/trailer tended to whipsaw the car around in the high winds -- the wind always blows in Kansas. Needless to say, I rented a full size pickup truck the next time I needed to move the boat.

If you don't have much experience with tent trailers, you might consider renting one at least once before you buy one. I've known several people who have rented tent trailers and even large RV's before they figured out what they really wanted. There sure are a bunch of used tent trailers for sale on Craigslist in my area -- like this barely used one: http://kansascity.craigslist.org/rvs/884205098.html The Forest River 176LTD like this one on Craigslist is more like the size I think is appropriate to pull with an RX -- "GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) 2,049 lbs." --> http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/default22...&series=MAC

At this time of year and in this economy, I'd bet you could buy a barely used nice tent trailer for a song.

lots of good info, thanks!

so. in my case, don't exceed 2,000lbs - should that include the total weight of passengers and gear in the car itself, as well as the trailer and contents? and what kind of tongue weight should i be looking for with this car? i've read that that's 10-15% of the gross weight of the trailer but that can also be affected by how you load it and where the trailer's water tank is located - how that affects the overall balance. i've looked on several websites about towing but for a newby like me, it's a little daunting to think of the consequences of getting it wrong! and i've so far gotten a lot of conflicting info about my car specifically. appreciate hearing your experience! thanks.

lots of good info, thanks!

so. in my case, don't exceed 2,000lbs - should that include the total weight of passengers and gear in the car itself, as well as the trailer and contents? and what kind of tongue weight should i be looking for with this car? i've read that that's 10-15% of the gross weight of the trailer but that can also be affected by how you load it and where the trailer's water tank is located - how that affects the overall balance. i've looked on several websites about towing but for a newby like me, it's a little daunting to think of the consequences of getting it wrong! and i've so far gotten a lot of conflicting info about my car specifically. appreciate hearing your experience! thanks.

All I'm saying is that I think you would be happier if the total loaded weight of a trailer you tow with your RX isn't much more than 2000 pounds. How far upward you go on weight is up to you. I guess you could buy a tongue scale but I usually "wing it" and guess by lifting up the tongue -- of course, since selling the boat, the biggest trailer I'm towing these days is a 4'x8' utility trailer that is usually lightly loaded.

People tow trailers all the time so don't get paranoid -- it's not brain surgery. The main thing is to drive cautiously and make sure everything is in good condition: hitch, electrical connections, trailer lights, safety chains, etc. It is especially important to properly inflate the trailer's tires and make sure that the tires are in good condition. Many people don't use their trailers very often and forget that trailer tires can become unsafe from age even if they look like new. You should carry at least one spare properly inflated trailer tire that is in good condition.

It is important to practice towing before going out on a trip the first time. It is especially important to practice backing a trailer up so you don't have to practice in a campground -- those trees don't move when you hit them! You might even want to practice parallel parking your RX and trailer on a city street -- easy once you get the hang of it. Have a family member stand behind the trailer and guide/scream at you while you back up.

I used to get kidded a lot in the 1980s for painting my utility trailer the same baby blue color as the Mercedes I pulled it with. We dragged the trailer all over the place picking up gardening supplies; carrying bikes; hauling construction materials; picking up furniture we bought, etc. That little $400 utility trailer has paid for itself countless times over the past 30 years.

Most campgrounds or other destinations have access to water to fill your tank. There is no reason to haul water and put extra stress on the transmission. Even finding a place to fill up nearer the destination and traveling a short distance with water is better than doing so the whole trip.

Hauling a travel trailer with a pickup in the Sierra Nevada mountains with the water tank filled once (and never again) was an education. Uphill is definitely a strain but downhill, even with electric brakes, was an adventure as well. Rounding corners in anything but a crawl was also necessary since the side force vectors are increased by the additional weight.

We had a 1999 RX 300 with factory towing package, and towed our 2000 lb 18 ft Fish and Ski no problem, at 70 miles per hour, on a 2800 mile trip in 90+ degree weather. Temp guage did not go up at all... Just make sure you tow it in 3rd gear instead of overdrive.... and the transmission fluid is in good shape... I changed it every 15,000 miles...

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 99 with approx 110k miles on it. Has the factory tow package. I pull my trailer loaded with 2 full sized motorcycles without any problem. Have made round trips from Fl to Canada in the middle of the summer heat without a problem at all. Total weight is probably around 3000lbs. Gas mileage sucks as you can imagine. Averaged around 11-12 mpg doing 60-65mph.