"pursuit Of Perfection" Falls Short

After nearly 10 years of building the RX you'd think Lexus would have gotten a few details right.

For example, I have heated seats with a rotating knob to set the temperature--the knob pushes In/Out, to get it out of the way I guess?? but out of the way of what, I don't know. Once I have it set the knob near where I'd like it, wouldn't you think I could just push the button to turn it off/on, rather than rotating the knob to turn off the switch. And then next time to rotate the knob back to the heating position I want?

Another gripe has to do with my GPS Nav system. When accessing the trip computer I can select the "Trip Mileage". Who would think that on a trip, every time you shut the car off, to go for lunch or get gas or whatever, you would want to have the "trip computer" automatically reset to Zero--now that one is really dumb!

Any other "Perfection" gripes out there?

I feel your pain on the heated seat controls. Now, you would most likely use them in the WINTER! You wear gloves in the WINTER! The knobs are hard to grip........why don't they have a rubber cover on them for a better grip? Why don't they have the "wheel" Design like on the ES models? This is not rocket science. If this is the only fault, I will still take the RX for my every day car.

LOL!!, idk, I'm thinking those are pretty suggestive and abstract issues don't you think?

There is no way on God's green earth, any car manufacturer could design a single vehicle that would absolutely please every detailed finicky person. I mean, come on, I've heard everything from the gas tank door is too high for a petite woman to it's too low for a 6'4 man. the front doors don't open wide enouph to let my fat a$$ in the driver side to the driver door swings to far out and dings the cars next to it to easily. I have a friend that owns a Bugatti Veyron, paid over a million dollars for the car, and complains all the time!! He wished the suspension was easier to adjust. The car is too loud inside. "You'd think for million bucks it could have auto a/c." LOL!! When does it end?

"I cried because I had no shoes, until I saw a man that had no feet."

And you know, if you want to be that detailed about it, it's just a switch right? Why don't you move it? Go to you local parts store, find a switch that you like and will carry the proper electric load, find a place on your dash that you think it would look good and be functional, drill a hole , put the switch there and move the wires. There, now your part of "The Pursuit of Perfection."! :)

• 1 month later...

I gotta agree with this bein' just a bit nit-picky - if you didn't spend enough time researching, driving, trying all the bells/whistles to your satisfaction before buying a $45K+ vehicle...I guess you deserve what you get.

For anyone who didn't know that LEXUS is a "top of the line Toyota"...you didn't do enough research either. Just like an Acura is a "top of the line Honda" and Infiniti is a "top of the line Nissan"...come on people...you really should've known....

I removed the oil filter canister on my wife's 09 RX350 today, while doing the 10k mile oil/filter change...and right there, molded into the side of the filter housing...it reads, "TOYOTA"...imagine that!!!

I have to agree with original poster. There are a number of features that Toyota could have easily done a better job with. Our new RX350 is our second RX series vehicle so we were very familiar with what we were getting when we bought the car. In other words, my wife and I decided the RX350 met our needs and the minor issues/omissions were not going to prevent us from buying it. This does not negate the fact that, in our opinion, Toyota made some poor decisions, probably for the sake of appearance over function or just plane cost savings that should not have happened in a $45K MSRP vehicle. I am sure this is also true for all the competitive auto manufactures (Mercedes, BMW, Infinity, etc.). In fact, being a BMW owner also, I know it is true for them too.

As you said...you knew going into the purchase what you were in for, so any complaint is really unjustified. There were no show-stoppers or you wouldn't have bought it.

I have also owned a BMW - a 2000 Z3 Roadster...LOVED it but couldn't justify the expense of maintaining it. I bought it used (with a 90 day warranty) and in the course of having a door lock actuator replaced at nearly $400 (thankfully I didn't have to pay for it), I decided it wasn't for me. Now I drive an 03 Z06...while there is the "corvette tax" to consider, parts are still CONSIDERABLY less expensive and the performance is simply amazing.

I guess my point is this: If you're going to spend $45k+ on a new vehicle, you should really take enough time to research the vehicle, get to know it and be aware of potential problems/issues, before buying. $45k may not be much for some people, but for us, it's a HUGE investment.

scottq60, I have a 2002 BMW 3.0i Z3 Roadster. I bought it new and absolutely love the car. It is now six years old and it fights me at every opportunity in my efforts to maintain it in as perfect condition as I can (almost like being married). You are absolutely correct about the cost and effort required to maintain it. However, I like driving it so much I have not yet thrown in the towel. Unfortunately, the Z4, which is out of production anyway now, does not begin to have the great styling my Z3 has. My Z3 also has a much lighter feel to it than the Z4 so it is a lot more fun to toss around on windy roads. This car, like no other, including my old M3, can put a smile on your face.

I know what you mean...our 00 Z3 was an absolute BLAST to drive and the styling was FAR superior to the Z4...BMW definitely screwed up there! I was lookin' at used Z3's on ebay a few nights ago...saw a few that I'd loved to have pulled the trigger on...just couldn't justify it especially in these economic times. My absolute favorite is the Z3 M coupe...would LOVE to have a nice one of those!

Thats why its the "pursuit" of perfection ;)

Har... :P

Both of those items could use some attention, I agree. Why not the heat/cold seats with knurled knob?

Here are my issues:

1. I would like an Altitude display. I know the GPS has it...I live in the mountains and like to know my altitude.

2. I would like Seat Memory positions based on which remote opens the door. My old 1996 Grand Cherokee had this feature for goodness sake.

3. How about a distance til empty indication?

I would like Seat Memory positions based on which remote opens the door. My old 1996 Grand Cherokee had this feature for goodness sake.

Sounds like that is possible if you have remote start.

hmm...thanks! I will have to see if the remote start option is available for me

As you said...you knew going into the purchase what you were in for, so any complaint is really unjustified.

Ah, NO! Let's not call it a complaint, let's just call it somewhat laughable for a company that has prided itself on the "Relentless Pursuit of Perfection" for the RX they have been building for 10-years. It's especially laughable when some of the "features" that are missing, were present in several cars back in the mid-'90s. I didn't dig into the Navigation Manual in sufficient detail before I bought the car to realize I could not get an Altitude readout from the GPS, nor did I realize that the Trip Odometer in the Nav System would re-set to Zero, everytime I turned the key off--Stupid but not a deal breaker. I don't need an "infinitly adjustable" seat heater that I can't adjust with my gloves on--a Low,High and Off on a toggle switch is all I need. I got a touring package, on my AWD RX, which I would probably be driving in the snow, but have no Side-view mirror heaters--I had that on my '97 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The arm rests are too low for me, some vehicles have an adjustment knob to set them at a comfortable height.

I have a BMW RT motorcycle, and the original-equipment seat is very uncomfortable--is that a deal-killer? Of course not, but more than 1/2 the people that buy the RT buy an aftermarket seat.

I still maintain that for a Vehicle that comes from the "Perfection Company" the RX falls short.

Dick_Lake_Tahoe_, you probably do have side rear view meter heaters. They come on with the rear window defogger. I think (but not 100% certain) this is, and always has been, standard equipment for the RX series.

Dick_Lake_Tahoe_, you probably do have side rear view meter heaters. They come on with the rear window defogger. I think (but not 100% certain) this is, and always has been, standard equipment for the RX series.

This is true for my 08 RX 350..

nor did I realize that the Trip Odometer in the Nav System would re-set to Zero, everytime I turned the key off--I still maintain that for a Vehicle that comes from the "Perfection Company" the RX falls short.

You do realize of course that the main trip odometers in the instrument cluster DO NOT reset automatically until you reset them yourself, right?

Ah, NO! Let's not call it a complaint, let's just call it somewhat laughable for a company that has prided itself on the "Relentless Pursuit of Perfection" for the RX they have been building for 10-years. It's especially laughable when some of the "features" that are missing, were present in several cars back in the mid-'90s. I didn't dig into the Navigation Manual in sufficient detail before I bought the car to realize I could not get an Altitude readout from the GPS, nor did I realize that the Trip Odometer in the Nav System would re-set to Zero, everytime I turned the key off--Stupid but not a deal breaker. I don't need an "infinitly adjustable" seat heater that I can't adjust with my gloves on--a Low,High and Off on a toggle switch is all I need. I got a touring package, on my AWD RX, which I would probably be driving in the snow, but have no Side-view mirror heaters--I had that on my '97 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The arm rests are too low for me, some vehicles have an adjustment knob to set them at a comfortable height.

I still maintain that for a Vehicle that comes from the "Perfection Company" the RX falls short.

At some point it becomes an argument for the "Relentless Pursuit of a Valid Complaint".

- The older RX's had a toggle switch for high/low seat heaters (both my 1999 and 2003 had the toggle switch)...my wife and I hated it and we like that they "perfected" it to a variable.

- No outside mirror heaters? Please. RX has always had mirror heaters. I suspect by familiarizing yourself with the owner's manual, you could actually eliminate half of your complaints.

- You need adjustable arm rests? I am sure Lexus tested the position during marketing research and found the position for the statistical center of the users. If you have carny-arms, or ape-arms I am pretty sure you will be unhappy. Personally, I would not be willing to add $500 (or even $20) to the price of the car for adjustable arm rests which would be set one time the first time you drive and be left alone going forward.

We can all point out things that would seem like improvements to any vehicle, and as I posted earlier, I personally have some things I would like to see changed on the RX. However, I suspect that the reason you are not out selling your "imperfect" RX350 today is because, for the money, you simply cannot find a more perfect vehicle or manufacturer.

To be honest, your continued insistence that Lexus sucks and is "laughable" due to minor feature expectations and your own ignorance of the features actually in your car starts to smell a little of "Troll".

• 2 weeks later...

I still think this guy is a little off his rocker.

Like I said, thats why the slogan is relentless PURSUIT of perfection. No car is perfect, a car cannot be for every person. Take the seat heaters, the reason they now have a knob vs the button they had for years was people complained about them not being adjustable enough. The new wheel adjuster is better than that knob.

They're always improving, and the all new RX looks to have many very interesting features.

Lexus vehicles have never been tech-heavy. They just aren't, they've gotten moreso but they are still light and I think thats to avoid reliability issues down the line. If you want a "gadget cruiser" buy an Acura or an Infiniti. I drove a new TL and it had so many functions, many of them useless (doppler radar on the nav screen? Come on) but gadgets nonetheless.

Until 1998 no Lexus even had a basic driver information center. The 1987 Ford Aerostar van we had when I was a kid had a driver information center.

If you're looking for a tech-car, this car isn't the one for you. If you're looking for a well made and reliable luxury vehicle with a great ride, a great finish, and good resale value with an excellent dealer network, this is the one for you.

• 2 weeks later...
I still think this guy is a little off his rocker.

Like I said, thats why the slogan is relentless PURSUIT of perfection. No car is perfect, a car cannot be for every person. Take the seat heaters, the reason they now have a knob vs the button they had for years was people complained about them not being adjustable enough. The new wheel adjuster is better than that knob.

They're always improving, and the all new RX looks to have many very interesting features.

Lexus vehicles have never been tech-heavy. They just aren't, they've gotten moreso but they are still light and I think thats to avoid reliability issues down the line. If you want a "gadget cruiser" buy an Acura or an Infiniti. I drove a new TL and it had so many functions, many of them useless (doppler radar on the nav screen? Come on) but gadgets nonetheless.

Until 1998 no Lexus even had a basic driver information center. The 1987 Ford Aerostar van we had when I was a kid had a driver information center.

If you're looking for a tech-car, this car isn't the one for you. If you're looking for a well made and reliable luxury vehicle with a great ride, a great finish, and good resale value with an excellent dealer network, this is the one for you.

What about the LS? Isn't that supposed to be all high tech?