Tires Wear On Turanza's

I just replaced my stock tires after 15k miles and they edges were pretty worn as if i was running low psi in my tires. I wasnt really monitoring tire wear, my mistake, but i havent had the car a year. Any thoughts? I didn't see too much on the forum about the Turanza's. Im running the staggered 18's

I also might have been cornering pretty hard on them too. This is also my first car that isnt running all terrains.

I assume you are driving a 250.

15K is definitely bad, but somehow I have the suspicion that some OEM tires have less tread than the same tires you can buy on the street. Perhaps a way for manufacturers to get cheaper tires and also a way for tire manufacturers to get customers back sooner rather than later...

What tires did you buy?

I dunno what Turanza's are but I've heard that the stock all season Potenza's are complete crap and wear out very fast, and as they do - start to make a lot of road noise. I noticed this on my dad's RX350, cuz he never rotated them for a while and the fronts went almost bold.

I have the Turanza ER33's on my 08 IS350 also. The tread wear hasn't been to bad. I have almost 10,000 miles on them, and it looks like I have another 10k to go on them. The only issue I have is that they are a Grand touring tire, and not a performance tire, so feel is a bit soft, the sidewalls flex a bit to much when you turn hard, losing that quick turn response, and they never have that on center feel that I almost have come to expect from good tires being made these days. I don't know if they do or not, but I really think these tires would be much better suited for the ES than the IS.

I assume you are driving a 250.

15K is definitely bad, but somehow I have the suspicion that some OEM tires have less tread than the same tires you can buy on the street. Perhaps a way for manufacturers to get cheaper tires and also a way for tire manufacturers to get customers back sooner rather than later...

What tires did you buy?

Yeah I have a 250. I ended up going with the PILOT EXALTO 2 by Michelin. They feel good on the road and handle pretty well.

I dunno what Turanza's are but I've heard that the stock all season Potenza's are complete crap and wear out very fast, and as they do - start to make a lot of road noise. I noticed this on my dad's RX350, cuz he never rotated them for a while and the fronts went almost bold.

They are Bridgestone's touring tire. I might of been a little rough on them but geez not even a year? The car is to have fun right ;)

I'm thinking I'll keep this one through the life of the body style and then upgrade to the 350 or whatever offering they introduce.

Here are some footnotes from the specifications of the IS on the Lexus website:

[10]17-in tires are expected to experience greater tire wear than conventional tires. Tire life may be substantially less than 20,000 miles, depending on driving conditions. Please see your Lexus dealer for details and other information relating to tire selection.

[11]18-in tires are expected to experience greater tire wear than conventional tires. Tire life may be substantially less than 15,000 miles, depending on driving conditions. Please see your Lexus dealer for details and other information relating to tire selection.

---------------------

Lexus is warning you that 17" and 18" tires don't last very long.

I find the trend to larger diameter wheels and tires pretty strange. I've rented plenty of cars with 17" and 18" tires and I just don't see the benefit in ride and handling.

Here are some footnotes from the specifications of the IS on the Lexus website:

[10]17-in tires are expected to experience greater tire wear than conventional tires. Tire life may be substantially less than 20,000 miles, depending on driving conditions. Please see your Lexus dealer for details and other information relating to tire selection.

[11]18-in tires are expected to experience greater tire wear than conventional tires. Tire life may be substantially less than 15,000 miles, depending on driving conditions. Please see your Lexus dealer for details and other information relating to tire selection.

---------------------

Lexus is warning you that 17" and 18" tires don't last very long.

I find the trend to larger diameter wheels and tires pretty strange. I've rented plenty of cars with 17" and 18" tires and I just don't see the benefit in ride and handling.

Yeah I read that when I purchase the car. I found it interesting how they had worn down. You do feel more of the road with the 18's

I had the same short Tire Life with the OEM Potenzas. Lots of noise after 10K miles and no way to rotate. So I replaced them with a set of Nitto INVO tires. They are extremely quite, and non-directional so I can rotate them side to side. My set has 24K miles on them and they are still very quite. I estimate 35 - 40K tread life based on the wear so far. Handling is good. I inflate them to +4 psi over the recommended pressure. This gives me similar handling response to the OEM tires. Take a look at the Nitto INVO tire, I like them and will buy another set when it time to get new tires on my IS250.

:D

• 2 weeks later...

mine are brand new and are noisy on the freeway, but i figure an 18" and 255mm rears will be noisy. grip and handling seem to be pretty decent imho. stock tired have to balance ride and handling..more for the ride tho, so i think they fit the bill.

18" tires in the past for me have lasted 15-20K.

I had the same short Tire Life with the OEM Potenzas. Lots of noise after 10K miles and no way to rotate. So I replaced them with a set of Nitto INVO tires. They are extremely quite, and non-directional so I can rotate them side to side. My set has 24K miles on them and they are still very quite. I estimate 35 - 40K tread life based on the wear so far. Handling is good. I inflate them to +4 psi over the recommended pressure. This gives me similar handling response to the OEM tires. Take a look at the Nitto INVO tire, I like them and will buy another set when it time to get new tires on my IS250.

where do you recommend for the best prices on these tires?

where do you recommend for the best prices on these tires?

I purchased them through Discount Tire Direct and had my local tire dealer install them. Yet I now pay $25 for a rotate and balance every 5K miles. This is Free if I had purchased from my local tire dealer, so the $25/tire I saved is wiped out after 20K miles.