91 Ls400 Tire Paint Chipping

91ls400

My 91 ls400 seems to have the paint flaking off of the wheels. The wheels are the original wheels for the car, with winter coming I am afraid of further deterioration. Is there any quick fix to stop anymore of the paint from chipping away? I really like the origninal wheels and dont plan on getting new ones. I have included a picture. Since the wheels are aluminum, they wont rust, right?

The rims will start to lose structural integrity too now that the "paint" has done the inevitable shedding from the aluminum. Not that they are going to fly apart on you but you will notice that they will no longer hold air as they once did. You should check the air pressure regularly anyway but this is especially true of flaky wheels.

It sounds like you need to have your wheel (s) refinished. I did this with one of mine. They sandblast the wheel, repaint and reseal. It looks just like brand new. Check your yellow pages for aluminum wheel refinisher. Mine cost me $125.00 (CDN)

Dan

• 1 month later...

i had those exact wheels on my 92, and they were doing the exact same thing yours are, (paint chipping) i called on places that refinished wheels and unfortunately they quoted me a really expensive price, so i said the heck with it and i bought new wheels, i currently am running OEM 99 LS 400 wheels, and i love em. makes the car look a lot more up to date, if u know what i mean. but as far as getting them refinished it would be just the same to buy a new wheel or wheels