2010 Rx Hybrid

I'll bet it's highly unlikely that even the RX350 would look like that (Chrysler 300ish); the side windows are so short that you would feel like you were in a tank - looks cool, but is not functional enough, IMO.

I believe that picture was of a concept vehicle. I don't think they'd ultimately go quite that radical, at least I hope not. I believe our current body style looks better and should have much better visibility.

look at this! now we come closer New RX

The best pictures yet...thanks Williz. Although it reminds me of Mazda CR-9, what do you all think? What's the deal with the RX350 gets the round fog lights too? So now how can our 400h differentiate from this?

It suprises me that 350 didn't pump up to 370, but 400 to 450. So now it gets the same power as the GS450h?

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the official photos for the 2010 RX450h and RX350, both interior and exterior.

http://www.motorauthority.com/gallery/2010...x-live-005.html

I think the current RX (400h with round fog lights) looks better than the new one, but the new one looks better than the current RX350.

My observations:

The new model looks too much like Mazda CX9 or a Suburu Tribeca. The backlights look too much like the Lexus ES330 (the football shape), and the interior nav system looks too much like it was from Acura MDX.

What do you guys think?

Wow - Check out the width of the shifter gates!

Wow, your right. You could lose a subway sandwich in there.

IMHO I think the exterior is just OK. In their defense it's hard to mess with perfection.

Some of the body lines improve a muscular appearance. The rear tail lights do look like the ES. I think the old ones were better.

It almost looks like change for the sake of change in most areas. At least the overall style shape of the RX icon was not lost.

The new front end with the integrated bumper looks fairly nice but I shudder to think of what it would cost to repair if someone simply backed up and tapped it.

One thing I absolutely hate is the new center console design. Yuck. Too many useless swooping curves. Too much asymetry.

I'm glad I got an 08 400h. If I hadn't I might still by one but would favor the 08.

What is with this "eco mode" thingy???

/Steve

I don't like it at all. I'm quite disappointed, actually. We have an '06 400h, and the lease ends late next year. Good thing we're planning to buy it as opposed to trading it for a new one. I got an e-mail today from Lexus with a link to the official photos, and they match the ones in that Japanese brochure.

2010 RX official Lexus photos

You've got to wait and see it in person. Lexus vehicles always look better in person.

I like it a lot, especially the interior. Glad to see the 3 pod gauge cluster gone.

The pod clusters supposedly gives you a race car feel, but I like cars with open gauge clusters also :D

I don't like it at all. I'm quite disappointed, actually. We have an '06 400h, and the lease ends late next year. Good thing we're planning to buy it as opposed to trading it for a new one. I got an e-mail today from Lexus with a link to the official photos, and they match the ones in that Japanese brochure.

2010 RX official Lexus photos

Well I finally saw the 2010 model on display at the San Fransisco auto show last Friday.

Seeing it in person is a little different than photos.

The new integrated bumper front end looks just.....OK. It does look smoother but there is something about the lines on the previous model that I like better. I did like it better in person than the photos.

The rear end is a disaster. I do not like the new lights at all and seeing the hatch shape in person is worse than the photos. The old hatch was distinctive and had good style. The new looks non descript.

The dashboard and center console is absolutely horrible as compared to the old one. What were they thinking!

Overall it's still an RX and the front end and roof line remain unique but I am SO glad I bought an 08 instead of waiting.

This reminds me of a few other cars I have had that underwent design changes for the worse. Years ago I had an 87 Toyota Camry. Beautiful design for a small sedan. Loved everything about it except it was just a little underpowered. The next generation went to this bulbous shape and while I did drive a 94 for a long while I never really cared for the style. The drive train was fantastic (V6 XLE, same as the Lexus ES300 at the time).

The other was Acura. My current second car is an 01 Acura TL. Beautiful style. The newest redesign I saw at the auto show was the most hideous body styles I have ever seen from Acura. They look like they were designed by a bunch of high school drop outs. Something out of a bad Sci-Fi movie. I would never buy any of there current line up. One sales geek that asked me if I was in the market openly admitted that most people do not seem to like the new designs.

Why do companies do this? I realize it's hard to improve on a model that is near perfect but geez, why do they mess it up so badly. Look what BMW did. They nearly destroyed the 5 series and Z roadster. Fortunately they corrected it and stopped the disease from spreading to the 3 series.

And ANOTHER thing (while I'm ranting... :D ). What's with all these new dorsal fins on the roof lines in recent years. I hate that.

So as not to be completely negative.....I did see a few VERY nice design changes. The new Ford Mustang has been freshened up and looks GREAT. Also, the Camero concept vehicle looks downright sinister, better than the original 69. If it only retains the style when / IF it ever is produced. Who knows.....GM may not be around much longer.

/Steve

The world is going touchscreen and Lexus reverses course? That seems a bit odd to me as well. On the other hand, how many of you have touchscreen monitors for your PCs? Using a mouse is more convenient for most people and in a way, having a mouse-like device to perform operations displayed on a vehicle's small monitor may be more convenient. Hey, I'd be willing to give it a try!

However, I still say that the RX body design that we all have is to me, the best out there, bar none. It IS tough to improve on something like this.