Is The Luxury Package Cursed?

I have an IS 250 that is fully loaded with nav, wood, the works.

but i dont have the lux package or ML with the rear sunshade, auto steering wheel, mem seats, etc

i have heard DISASTER stories from people like:

1. "My steering will rattles like there's a broken part in it" (this guy has the automatic steering wheel that comes with lux package)

2. "My ML spits out my discs" or "My ML's sound goes off randomly"

3. "I had to replace my windshield b/c of a rock chip that turned into a crack and b/c of my automatic windshield wipers it costs a bajillion dollars"

etc..etc..etc..

SO what I am thinking is that since Lexus makes SOOOOO few IS's with the lux package and ML they make mistakes with many of them...

i think i feel blessed i couldnt find an IS with the lux/ML

Well, if you don't have those options, you don't have a "fully loaded" car. Sounds like a bit of rationalization--do you REALLY think that they keep production down of these options because they are purposely putting out poor quality product? Man--that's crazy.

I don't have ML, but I do have the Lux Pkg.

I have had no problems with my steering wheel. I do have problems with my tilt-down mirrors, which I will make the dealer fix under warranty when I go in for my next service.

As far as rock chips on the windshield--how often does this really happen? That's why you keep insurance on your car--if there is a repair which is going to be expensive out of pocket, claim it under your insurance.

I'm unclear how the auto windshield wipers have anything to do with rock chips... and I've heard at least as many non-ML cd changer problems as ML ones, likely more.... most rattles I've heard about are from the center/dash area, having nothing to do with the steering wheel.

I have ML and the sport package, which is everything in the lux except the ugly woodgrain and the rear sunshade, plus some additional items (sport pedals and sport suspension) and I have none of the problems you describe.

I'm unclear how the auto windshield wipers have anything to do with rock chips...

The rain sensor is in the windshield somehow, thus creating the high price for a new windshield. At least, that's my understanding.

I'm unclear how the auto windshield wipers have anything to do with rock chips...

The rain sensor is in the windshield somehow, thus creating the high price for a new windshield. At least, that's my understanding.

I'm pretty sure the rain sensor is the little box near the rear view mirror on the inside of the windshield, it's not "part" of the windshield any more than the rear view mirror itself is then.

Don't have a pic handy, but here's an aftermarket system that uses the same type of sensor in a similar location-

http://www.raintracker.com/rt_more_info.php

You are correct. We had the previous owner replace my wife's ES 350 windshield to the tune of $1,500, of which he paid $250 for his deductible.

You are correct. We had the previous owner replace my wife's ES 350 windshield to the tune of $1,500, of which he paid $250 for his deductible.

I was told that the sensor is actually under the rear view mirror mount - not in the windshield... So I looked in the owners manual which has an arrow pointing to the Mirror mount. The sensor measure refraction of infrared light to determine the presence of rain. So is the stealership overcharging for a windshield replacement or does the sensor get damaged when the mirror is removed? Anyone know... Anyone replace their windshield with after market glass and still have the rain sensor work? If so, how much. I only have 1600 miles on my new 350 but I have always had bad luck with windshields so sooner or later the information will help. Thanks.

I fully agree with Tex (from PA)'s post.

I special-ordered the Lux + ML. No problems here. Yours is the first post I have heard of with an auto-tilt steering wheel rattle. I use my ML for CDs occasionally without incident. If the windshield isn't covered under warranty, which they should be for all ISx50s since the original warranty is still good on all of them, then you use insurance.

If it's true that they make so few Lux + ML, then it's because of what the dealers in each region of the country decided would be most popular. Lexus is capable of making a fine car no matter the configuration.

No problems at all since Feb '08 on my 2008.

I was told that the sensor is actually under the rear view mirror mount - not in the windshield... So I looked in the owners manual which has an arrow pointing to the Mirror mount. The sensor measure refraction of infrared light to determine the presence of rain. So is the stealership overcharging for a windshield replacement or does the sensor get damaged when the mirror is removed? Anyone know... Anyone replace their windshield with after market glass and still have the rain sensor work? If so, how much. I only have 1600 miles on my new 350 but I have always had bad luck with windshields so sooner or later the information will help. Thanks.

Not certain about the IS, but the RX sensor is not in the windshield. We replaced my wife's windshield in her RX330 last year, which was done aftermarket by Safelite. There is nothing particularly special about the glass other than it's much cheaper than going through the dealership and comes with a lifetime warranty. The windshield, so far as I can tell, looks exactly like the original in every detail.

I'm pretty sure the rain sensor is the little box near the rear view mirror on the inside of the windshield, it's not "part" of the windshield any more than the rear view mirror itself is then.

Don't have a pic handy, but here's an aftermarket system that uses the same type of sensor in a similar location-

http://www.raintracker.com/rt_more_info.php

this is correct. There's nothing "in" the windshield. But, what probably adds to the cost is the labor involved in attaching/unattaching the rain sensor.

Well, if you don't have those options, you don't have a "fully loaded" car. Sounds like a bit of rationalization--do you REALLY think that they keep production down of these options because they are purposely putting out poor quality product? Man--that's crazy.

I have had no problems with my steering wheel. I do have problems with my tilt-down mirrors, which I will make the dealer fix under warranty when I go in for my next service.

As far as rock chips on the windshield--how often does this really happen? That's why you keep insurance on your car--if there is a repair which is going to be expensive out of pocket, claim it under your insurance.

i mean so thats my point

DUH lexus has the capability of making perfect auto tilt mirrors that work every single time. it's lexus. but what im saying is that since they make so few and its out of the norm to find one and its so rare that they mess up on many of them b/c its not going through the standard assembly line.

but ya if they made more with the lux package and if i didnt hear so many complaints i'd get one in a jiffy.

lexus rocks. period.

i mean so thats my point

DUH lexus has the capability of making perfect auto tilt mirrors that work every single time. it's lexus. but what im saying is that since they make so few and its out of the norm to find one and its so rare that they mess up on many of them b/c its not going through the standard assembly line.

but ya if they made more with the lux package and if i didnt hear so many complaints i'd get one in a jiffy.

lexus rocks. period.

No mfg can make every item of any product it produces "perfect" every time. That's why they have warranties.

I have the complete package, ML which is awsome, and I had that sound cutting out problem. It was a loose connection at the amp they figuered it out pretty quick. no sound from the wheel. yet I only have 6k on the vehicle. If you want the best experenice go with full options.

Greetings,

I didn’t get the Nav package. I was worried about the system becoming obsolete in a few years. With technology doubling every 18 months…who knows what will be the latest Navigation system we cannot live without?

Kona