First Service 1000mi

well i had them service my IS250 yesterday for the first time and it was not what i expected. the carwash was not a carwash it looked like they just hosed down my car and wiped it. there was a shiny spot that looked like the mechanic touched my side door panel and left his fingerprints on it, and they refused to turned my running light off.

meh just my 2 cents, has anyone experienced this before?

well i had them service my IS250 yesterday for the first time and it was not what i expected. the carwash was not a carwash it looked like they just hosed down my car and wiped it. there was a shiny spot that looked like the mechanic touched my side door panel and left his fingerprints on it, and they refused to turned my running light off.

meh just my 2 cents, has anyone experienced this before?

I'm kind of curious... I have seen a few posts about the running lights, and, no judgment here, but why are daytime running lights an issue for you?

Interesting... here in FW, customers will wait up to 60 minutes for a carwash at the dealership. Of course, the cars look great afterwards. The dealership here recently invested quite a bit for a new high-speed carwash, though with 60 minute waits, it doesn't seem high-speed.

As for the DRL, some insurers offer discounts for cars that have them. I'd be curious to know how many who have them turned off actually report doing so to their insurer.

There's many reasons folks dislike DRLs (some or all may apply to any given person who does)

1) Debatable benefit... there's studies saying they make cars safer. There's other studies saying they're actually dangerous. (which is a good reason to turn em off if you believe that) Still others saying they do nothing either way.

2) It's a light that'll be on all the time for no good reason (assuming you don't think it's safer) so it's wasted energy and the bulb might not last as long (despite it being on at a tiny fraction of its power)

3) Some folks hate the yellow look of em, either during the day, at night, or sometimes both.

There's probably other reasons people don't like em, but those are the most common ones I've heard.

There's many reasons folks dislike DRLs (some or all may apply to any given person who does)

1) Debatable benefit... there's studies saying they make cars safer. There's other studies saying they're actually dangerous. (which is a good reason to turn em off if you believe that) Still others saying they do nothing either way.

2) It's a light that'll be on all the time for no good reason (assuming you don't think it's safer) so it's wasted energy and the bulb might not last as long (despite it being on at a tiny fraction of its power)

3) Some folks hate the yellow look of em, either during the day, at night, or sometimes both.

There's probably other reasons people don't like em, but those are the most common ones I've heard.

Gotcha... thanks Knight. None of those are issues for me, and I think that DRL are a good idea, but again, it's all personal taste. It seems that many manufacturers are now setting up their cars with running lights that are always on.

Well, in Canada they are -required- on cars (and probably other countries as well, just haven't checked) so it's increasingly cheaper for manufacturers to just include them with the car so they don't have to add em for specific markets... I know the NTHSA in the US has debated them, including rules on the maximum brightness because there are studies showing they -can- increase accident rates above certain brightness levels... there's tons of info on the topic out there if you want it, I've only skimmed a bit of it.

It'd be nice if somebody figured out once and for all if they really are 'safer" or less safe, or neutral, because if they're really clearly safer then great, mandate em, and make em so you can't turn them off... and if they're more dangerous ban em... and if they're neutral get rid of em because they -are- kinda ugly during the day and wastefull...

But I suspect it's going to be pretty hard to figure that out, as I imagine they're safer, less safe, or neutral depending largely on the conditions at the time including weather, time of day, color/condition of background, road, and vehicles involved, and a ton of other factors nobody will ever bother to filter for....so the debate continues.

i dont like how they look. at night they ruin the HID Light look...

DRLs don't operate at night, how can they ruin your night look?

That was my first thought as well. Has anyone confirmed that they actually do turn off when the headlights come on? I'll have to give a test tonight.

to pick an incredibly small nit, you're discussing if the DRLs operate when the headlights are on, not if they operate at night.

There's plenty of times you'll have the headlights on during the day (and maybe even a few times you'd have em off at night)

I had mine turned off at my 1k service as I think they're wasteful and my car is dark enough it's pretty easy to see during the daytime anyway so I can't say if they operate with the lights on or not, never got a chance to notice.

Well, in Canada they are -required- on cars (and probably other countries as well, just haven't checked) so it's increasingly cheaper for manufacturers to just include them with the car so they don't have to add em for specific markets... I know the NTHSA in the US has debated them, including rules on the maximum brightness because there are studies showing they -can- increase accident rates above certain brightness levels... there's tons of info on the topic out there if you want it, I've only skimmed a bit of it.

It'd be nice if somebody figured out once and for all if they really are 'safer" or less safe, or neutral, because if they're really clearly safer then great, mandate em, and make em so you can't turn them off... and if they're more dangerous ban em... and if they're neutral get rid of em because they -are- kinda ugly during the day and wastefull...

But I suspect it's going to be pretty hard to figure that out, as I imagine they're safer, less safe, or neutral depending largely on the conditions at the time including weather, time of day, color/condition of background, road, and vehicles involved, and a ton of other factors nobody will ever bother to filter for....so the debate continues.

I think that it's like many other mandated safety devices... the running lights may make your car more 'visible' when there are only a fraction of the vehicles on the road that have them, but once ALL cars have them on, no one car will be more visible than another. Third brake lights are another one of those kind of devices. Most all cars have them, and I'm not convinced that they make brake lights any more noticeable, once everyone is accustomed to them.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings,

What should be the top items to "personalize" on my 1000 mile/1 month service check? I like the feature about the windows opening when I hold down the door unlock button but not the sunroof opening. It might be operator error on my part.

Thanks

Kona

• 1 month later...