07 Rx350 Navigation - Upgrade To V7.1?

The nav system in my 07 RX350 cannot find many addresses, even some in older parts of town. We live in Southeast Ohio. When trying to enter a destination you get an "address unknown" error. The GPS DVD is version 6.1. I have seen reference to a version 7.1 upgrade. Does anyone have experience with this upgrade to know if it helps in this area?

Is this upgrade available from after market sources?

Do you have the nav set for the right region? That's kind of bizzare that it can't find ALOT of addresses.

Have to agree , the last time i went to Washington D.C. i could not find anything around the white house.

Only when i got home i realised that i realised D.C. was a separate area to download as it is a tiny speck.

The nav system in my 07 RX350 cannot find many addresses, even some in older parts of town. We live in Southeast Ohio. When trying to enter a destination you get an "address unknown" error. The GPS DVD is version 6.1. I have seen reference to a version 7.1 upgrade. Does anyone have experience with this upgrade to know if it helps in this area?

Is this upgrade available from after market sources?

Rather than spend $250 for a new CD apply that same amount toward the purchase of a >$400 PORTABLE garmin w/Bluetooth.

You will NOT be disappointed.

I've used the Garmins, nice but I don't want a big ugly GPS on my dash when I've got the built in unit.

Couldn't agree more.. Why put some clunky GPS device in your cockpit area when you already have a nice built-in version?

I've used the Garmins, nice but I don't want a big ugly GPS on my dash when I've got the built in unit.

Couldn't agree more.. Why put some clunky GPS device in your cockpit area when you already have a nice built-in version?

Well, first of all you can open the CD door to the captive gps/nav and NEVER enounter the "I AGREE" question again.

That will also eliminate the system's INSISTENCE on keeping the moving map display up absent your turning the diplay OFF.

I'd much rather have a CLUNKY Garmin Nuvi GPS suctioned to the windshield than a captive one that only works half (or worse) as well.

$50 updates via the internet rather lining the dealer's pockets inordinantly.

Well, first of all you can open the CD door to the captive gps/nav and NEVER enounter the "I AGREE" question again.

If you have the latest version Nav 7/1 removed the "I AGREE" screen. I've been agreeing for 5 years, its no big deal.

That will also eliminate the system's INSISTENCE on keeping the moving map display up absent your turning the diplay OFF.

I like having the map screen constantly up.

I'd much rather have a CLUNKY Garmin Nuvi GPS suctioned to the windshield than a captive one that only works half (or worse) as well.

I like my OEM system just fine vs the Garmin.

$50 updates via the internet rather lining the dealer's pockets inordinantly.

Thowing the thousands spent on the OEM system away...

Sorry. I have absolutely zero interest in a portable GPS.

• 1 month later...

I HATE having their lawyer ride along with me, asking if I agree. The dealer said they should have (by now) an upgrade. He said they will be able to install and uninstall the new new software, and the screen will be gone. He thought it might cost $50 - well worth the aggravation, I think! How many of you simply leave the screen on hold on your daily trips?

The same with the disabling the nav search while in motion. Makes sense, but it seems this could be allowed if the airbag sensor for the passenger seat was activated. But nooooo. The lawyer says you have to pull over. grrrr

• 6 months later...

I have an 09 with the 7.1 version. I live in the Charleston, SC area which is well developed and when programming in an address I will sometimes get the message to proceed to the known route. You can see the street or road names on the map display but the nav system isn't able to plot a course until you hit its known area. My wifes $199 Garmin never has that problem. I also had this issue when travelling to friends in GA. I hope when we go cross country this summer, we don't get lost.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
How can you tell what the newest available version is, and when an update is out?

I have v 8.1. Is that the newest?

8.1 is the latest version. A new version will come out sometime around October.

Can we copy the update ver 7.1 disc

Yes you CAN copy it. So long as you have a DVD reader/writer that can read dual layer discs. Since it's all just data on a disc, like an MP3 for example, or a copy of Microsoft Office, it can be copied. It does however involve copying all the data on the disc to your computer and then burning a disc with some rather specific settings. That also is before you get into pulling fuses, inserting and updating your NAV system data. It's all about your own comfort level. I'm a computer geek myself so it was not a big deal for me. Ask me to change my own oil and I'll look at you like you're speaking Farsi. :D

If it's something you want to pursue, do a search as there are a couple of other threads here and on other Lexus boards that showcase how to do it all.