When To Change Transmission Fluid?

I have an '03 ls430 with 36K and wondered if I should change it or not. I've never changed it in any other vehicle I've owned several of which went to 100K and over. I was told by a mechanic that if you don't do it early then you don't do it at all since it could cause problems after you change it.

The short answer is yes, change it. The good news is that Lexus put a tranny drain plug on the bottom which allows you to drain just

two quarts at a time. Thats what I would recommend. Each time you change engine oil, just pull the plug on the tranny and then replace

what comes out (with OEM fluid of course). Its cheap insurance.

And since you are unsure about the tranny fluid, I thought I would mention that the brake fluid should be flushed out and new in. Ditto for the

rear differential. Then there is engine coolant, power steering fluid....have I missed something? At 36k and 5 years old, I would do all of these.

Its not too late. Look in your owners manual for service schedule info.

One good thing is that you dont have to change the air in your tires, thank goodness. B)

i would call the dealership and confirm that it's 2 quarts out on the 430's. I know it's 2 quarts on the 400's, and would assume the same on the 430's, but you should check to make sure. One of the simple things that can save you some hassle. Unless, someone can confirm it's 2 quarts for the 430's on here already?

No fluid is forever. Even the fifth wheel gets regular grease. Just measure what you get out and put the same amount back in. Scheduling with your oil changes is perfect. Every two years or so drop the pan to clean it out and replace the filter if the 430 still uses them.

I have an '03 ls430 with 36K and wondered if I should change it or not. I've never changed it in any other vehicle I've owned several of which went to 100K and over. I was told by a mechanic that if you don't do it early then you don't do it at all since it could cause problems after you change it.

It depends on the fluids type. Some push a "boilerplate" drain (aka time/miles)...That is guessing since ever car app is diff.

Greetings,

I am Mrs Leda Celis, I viewed your advert and found you trust worthy concerning the proposal I have at hand,I really need your help if you are willing my contact is below, mail me for more deatils.

Email: mrs.leda_celis@rediffmail.com

Email: mrs.leda_celis(at)rediffmail(dot)com

I will be anxiously and eargly waiting to hear from you soonest through my private email address above.

Your Sincerely

Mrs. Leda Celis

Greetings,

I am Mrs Leda Celis, I viewed your advert and found you trust worthy concerning the proposal I have at hand,I really need your help if you are willing my contact is below, mail me for more deatils.

I will be anxiously and eargly waiting to hear from you soonest through my private email address above.

Your Sincerely

Mrs. Leda Celis

Q'est que c'est? :huh:

Greetings,

Your Sincerely

Mrs. Leda Celis

WTF!!!! :blink: A little to much info there. Someboudy clicked something rong....... :huh:

i would drop the pan change the filter and then do a system flush...your fluid should be so clean u can hardly see it on the stick, i had my pan dropped and changed the filter and gasket about 10,000 miles ago and i had to do a system flush last week, it was so bad it had to be done twice to get it all out, dropping the pan is never good enough, theres always more than half of the fluid still in the converter and the valve body

Python, I do agree with dropping the pan, but don't you think at 36k on a 03', might be a little soon to go through all of that? Not saying that it isn't a great thing to do, and I too recommend it, but do you think he's ready for all of that at this point? I don't know, just asking. I know on my 95, I never did that "didn't know how at the time and too chicken to try", I just did the ole' drain n' fills at oil changes, and didn't have any problems. But, then again, i probably would of been stunned at the condition of the fluid if I had done the pan proceedure!

eatingblacktop, I agree with the "put back in what came out", so long as he knows what's in there is the original. If it's a used 430, the previous owner might of messed with it "doubtful at that mileage though", and overfilled it.

Does anyone know for sure if it's 2 quarts on the 430? I'm really curious!

Python, I do agree with dropping the pan, but don't you think at 36k on a 03', might be a little soon to go through all of that? Not saying that it isn't a great thing to do, and I too recommend it, but do you think he's ready for all of that at this point? I don't know, just asking. I know on my 95, I never did that "didn't know how at the time and too chicken to try", I just did the ole' drain n' fills at oil changes, and didn't have any problems. But, then again, i probably would of been stunned at the condition of the fluid if I had done the pan proceedure!

eatingblacktop, I agree with the "put back in what came out", so long as he knows what's in there is the original. If it's a used 430, the previous owner might of messed with it "doubtful at that mileage though", and overfilled it.

I was assuming (it's called living dangerously) that people check fluid levels on a regular basis, but then again, you never know. On what schedule to use, my basic philosophy for car maintenance is simple: better early (can't hurt) than late (more than likely will hurt). ;)

I check fluids almost never. I check oil every 7,000 miles (60% of engine oil duration). I know how it runs. I check ATF fluids once per drain 40K (about 1 week after new fluid goes in). etc. I know how the car runs. Plus UOA's on all these fluids tell you light years ahead of any issue. I can see patterns long before fluid issues show anything. But YMMV.

If only everyone was as diligent and tuned in to their cars as you.

But we know that aint gonna happen. Most people don't know

they have a leak until they see fluid on their kitchen floor because

they've brought it in on the bottom of their shoes after stepping

in the pool in the garage.

My motto: FOOL PROOF SYSTEMS DON'T WORK BECAUSE THEY

DON'T TAKE INTO ACCOUNT THE INGENUITY OF FOOLS.

If only everyone was as diligent and tuned in to their cars as you.

But we know that aint gonna happen. Most people don't know

they have a leak until they see fluid on their kitchen floor because

they've brought it in on the bottom of their shoes after stepping

in the pool in the garage.

My motto: FOOL PROOF SYSTEMS DON'T WORK BECAUSE THEY

DON'T TAKE INTO ACCOUNT THE INGENUITY OF FOOLS.

good point..my bad

With 36k miles I would consider changing the transmission filter.

Why is that?

I'm old school.

I believe changing the filter would be a good idea with the kind of mileage you have because there is normal wear going on inside the transmission. And the filter has probably never been changed.

Start new with a fresh filter that isn't full of wear material, etc.

I SAY FLUSH IT.GET 8 QTS. OF FLUID FROM THE DEALER AND DISCONNECT THE RETURN HOSE FROM THE RADIATOR AT THE BOTTOM THAT IS.THEN DIP IT INTO A BUCKET AND HAVE SOMEONE START THE CAR TO LET THE TRANNY PUMP ALL THE FIRST 4 QTS. OUT.ONCE IT STOPS,REFILL THE TRANNY WITH THE FIRST 4 QTS.REPEAT THAT AGAIN TILL IT STOPS.NOW YOU HAVE TOTAL OF 8 QTS. BEING PUMPED OUT OF THE TRANNY MAKING THAT BABY SUPER CLEAN.AT THE END USE THE LAST 4 QTS. TO REFILL IT. TAKE THE HOSE FROM THE BUCKET AND CLEAN IT GOOD WITH ANY SOLVENT TO GET THE OILY RESIDUE OUT.REASON FOR THAT ,SO WHEN YOU CONNECT THE HOSE BACK IT WOULD NOT SLIP ON YOU IN THE FUTURE.AFTER YOU MAKE SURE THAT HOSE IS SECURE. START THE CAR AND TAKE IT FOR A SPIN.GOOD LUCK.

Pilotguy, until someone with a 430 can confirm to you the exact amount of fluid that comes out of the drain pan, I wouldn't do anything to your car. Although there are several good pieces of advice on here for you, none of it seems to be for the 430 specifically. In several ways, the 430 and 400's are similiar, but different in several other ways. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of 430 owners on here that are having to do services like this yet, because the car just isn't that old. There was one guy several months back who bought a 430 in Miami, and didn't listen to the advice, took it to some jiffy-lube type shop to have the transmission flushed. The last we heard from him, was that he was having hard gear changes "gear smacks", surging, and other problems. He wasn't very popular in general, due to some of his tactics, and SWO & I heckled him a bit, of which he didn't take to kindly too, and left with is his finger in the air at us.

I caution you with adopting some of the same methods used on the older 400's, on your 430, without confirming it first. 430 is a bigger engine, more power, so there could be some differences in fluid levels. I can't confirm either. But I do know how wonderful the LS is, when it's right, and how frustrating it is, when it's not.

As NC mentions, the 430 has a larger displacement than the 400.

Capacities are likely to be different as well. I think researching any

issue with forums like LOC is always a good starting point. You're

sure to get plenty of ideas and suggestions. When the posts start

going in different directions about the same problem, I would look for

definitive advice to settle the issue. More often than not it will come

from the dealer or a qualified tech. This sounds like common sense

which, despite it's name, is not all that common.

Common sense would also say that when in doubt, ask. When you

get an answer, make sure to note where it came from.

Pilotguy, until someone with a 430 can confirm to you the exact amount of fluid that comes out of the drain pan, I wouldn't do anything to your car. Although there are several good pieces of advice on here for you, none of it seems to be for the 430 specifically. In several ways, the 430 and 400's are similiar, but different in several other ways. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of 430 owners on here that are having to do services like this yet, because the car just isn't that old. There was one guy several months back who bought a 430 in Miami, and didn't listen to the advice, took it to some jiffy-lube type shop to have the transmission flushed. The last we heard from him, was that he was having hard gear changes "gear smacks", surging, and other problems. He wasn't very popular in general, due to some of his tactics, and SWO & I heckled him a bit, of which he didn't take to kindly too, and left with is his finger in the air at us.

I caution you with adopting some of the same methods used on the older 400's, on your 430, without confirming it first. 430 is a bigger engine, more power, so there could be some differences in fluid levels. I can't confirm either. But I do know how wonderful the LS is, when it's right, and how frustrating it is, when it's not.

guys, we are not dealing with an f-22 jet fighter complicated systems for the love of god .i have done this myself so many times you should see ,feel, and hear how my tranny shifts.listen dude ,just go ahead and do what i have suggested to you ,and ask the dealer to be sure about the amount of fluid.just keep in mind to flush the same way i told you and the entire system capacity,just try to read my instructions carefuly and your tranny will love you for it,becuase heat kills tranny fluid,so you better believe it to keep the fluid fresh and if you want to do it like me add abottle of( lucas tranny fix),man that stuff is some awsome crap and i use some engine stuff too you know by lucas,let me tell you i can hear that engine singing every oil change with mobil 1,k&n filter and abottle of (lucas engine oil additive) .if you do not like what i am saying .then just do not do it.if you do you will thank me.i have been doing it for years with no problems at all.i am saying this from an experience.good luck and do not get chicken or spooked out and remember what ( nike ) says just do it .10-4

ramnozack, I'm not knocking your method of flushing the fluid. Lexls has this proceedure on his website as well. But, your car is 16 years old, with 16 years of mileage and age. Pilot's is only 5, with an annual average of only 7,200 miles. That's pretty gentle. I can't saying anything about Lucas though, I've never used it. I know a few members on here that have though, and really seem to like it! But, I would be suprised if Pilot would need it at this point. If he's having to use anything to "fix" the tranny of anything, then he's got bigger problems than just dirty fluid.

Whatever path you choose Pilot, just make sure your end result is with genuine type vi toyota transmission fluid. That, I do know. It's pretty tough to screw up a LS, but messing around with aftermarket tranny fluids is a good way to, as it's been discussed several times. Although I do believe Amsoil full synthetic tranny fluid is ok, as a few members swear by the stuff and have had zero problems with it. Just ask mburnickas, he loves it! We've chewed on eachother's tails in the past about it, and I've always lost! :lol: ;)

ramnozack, I'm not knocking your method of flushing the fluid. Lexls has this proceedure on his website as well. But, your car is 16 years old, with 16 years of mileage and age. Pilot's is only 5, with an annual average of only 7,200 miles. That's pretty gentle. I can't saying anything about Lucas though, I've never used it. I know a few members on here that have though, and really seem to like it! But, I would be suprised if Pilot would need it at this point. If he's having to use anything to "fix" the tranny of anything, then he's got bigger problems than just dirty fluid.

Whatever path you choose Pilot, just make sure your end result is with genuine type vi toyota transmission fluid. That, I do know. It's pretty tough to screw up a LS, but messing around with aftermarket tranny fluids is a good way to, as it's been discussed several times. Although I do believe Amsoil full synthetic tranny fluid is ok, as a few members swear by the stuff and have had zero problems with it. Just ask mburnickas, he loves it! We've chewed on eachother's tails in the past about it, and I've always lost! :lol: ;)

nc211,lucas fluid (tranny fix) is not to fix problems they just call that,but it does wonders as far as luricating the tranny and help getting it cooooooool,and that is a major issue.use it and let me know. as far as the tranny fluid go ahead and use lexus fluid,trust me there is nothing to screw up here.my car is 16 years old,but you should see the way this baby looks and performs,i screw around somtimes with my buddies vettes,believe it or not,92' but it will rock your world.

Someone else is going to have to confirm the lucas stuff for you, as I won't be using it. Granted, I don't think I've ever heard anyone say anything bad about here, but as a senior member with several years of activity on here, I can say that 9 out of 10 transmission problems that have come up on here, all seem to share a similiar characteristic...something other than oem "or amsoil" fluid in the system. I'm sure it's good stuff, but I'm too chicken to mess with it in my cars.

Someone else is going to have to confirm the lucas stuff for you, as I won't be using it. Granted, I don't think I've ever heard anyone say anything bad about here, but as a senior member with several years of activity on here, I can say that 9 out of 10 transmission problems that have come up on here, all seem to share a similiar characteristic...something other than oem "or amsoil" fluid in the system. I'm sure it's good stuff, but I'm too chicken to mess with it in my cars.

I agree. I used Lucas in fuel (not oil) and it did nothing and I have read some neg comments on it. Thanks and use what your wish as I will not be using Lucas stuff anymore.