Future Cabin Refinements?

appleton

I am truly enjoying my first Lexus so I hope the thread of this topic stays constructive. I don’t want to come across sounding negative. There are a few small things that I miss versus my previous car as well as a few changes that I wish Lexus would consider. These are just small issues in the scheme of things:

• Seat heating/cooling controls are hard to see without leaning forward.
  • The maximum retained power interval could be longer. (windows won’t open by the time you get a fill up and are ready to pay)
  • The Levinson system sounds amazing. Wish the display would scroll the mp3 track text so that all of the file name could be seen.
  • It would be nice if the volume would “slide” or “fade” up to the current loudness setting when the system is powered on (not sure if I’m explaining that well)
  • The volume button on the steering wheel is too slow at changing loudness when pressed (I said these were tiny issues, but I’m aware of this every time)
  • Ash tray and cassette deck? Seems wrong in a 2008 vehicle.
  • Oh, and finally there are the missing hooks… but that is being dealt with already in another thread (-:

With all of that said, I really do like my ES 350. The list of things I like about it would be twenty times longer than the list above. I was just curious to know if anyone else felt the same way about any of these items?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am truly enjoying my first Lexus so I hope the thread of this topic stays constructive. I don’t want to come across sounding negative. There are a few small things that I miss versus my previous car as well as a few changes that I wish Lexus would consider. These are just small issues in the scheme of things:
  • The maximum retained power interval could be longer. (windows won’t open by the time you get a fill up and are ready to pay)
  • The Levinson system sounds amazing. Wish the display would scroll the mp3 track text so that all of the file name could be seen.
  • It would be nice if the volume would “slide” or “fade” up to the current loudness setting when the system is powered on (not sure if I’m explaining that well)
  • The volume button on the steering wheel is too slow at changing loudness when pressed (I said these were tiny issues, but I’m aware of this every time)
  • Oh, and finally there are the missing hooks… but that is being dealt with already in another thread (-:

With all of that said, I really do like my ES 350. The list of things I like about it would be twenty times longer than the list above. I was just curious to know if anyone else felt the same way about any of these items?

I agree with all you said. The seat heating/cooling buttons could have been placed as on an RX. I would also like the door opener buttons on the overhead console to be lit as on the RX. Also, the door sill lights on an RX would look good on the ES.

I agree with you also!!! Hey but that is what forums like this are for right? The good, the bad, and the ugly...but for Lexus, it is the great, the good, and the minor issues! Of course I would add that I have some minor transmission surge issues at 20mph and 35-40mph and some minor creaks inside. I wish though the would get away from the 1960s LED clock!!!! It looks like an old Timex digital watch I used to have.........haha!

I agree with you also!!! Hey but that is what forums like this are for right? The good, the bad, and the ugly...but for Lexus, it is the great, the good, and the minor issues! Of course I would add that I have some minor transmission surge issues at 20mph and 35-40mph and some minor creaks inside. I wish though the would get away from the 1960s LED clock!!!! It looks like an old Timex digital watch I used to have.........haha!

My main grip is the lack of lighting on the overhead buttons cant really see how they missed that

in the first place. And yes the clock needs to go.

So far my transmission has been fine however it does up shift from first a tad to soon unless

you step on it a bit.

I agree with most of what people have mentioned here. Definitely the overhead buttons could have been lit and the seat temp controls better placed. As for the ash tray, I pulled the box out and it makes for a perfect place for my cell phone when it is out of the holster. So how about making a cell phone holder that is padded so it will not rattle? Everybody has a cell phone...

Also, I know not everybody has an iPod, but something that will interface the sound system with an iPod, not just an 'Aux'. To be able to control it from the sound system. There is an aftermarket one that seems to work well, but I have to order it then have it installed.

Also, for voice recognition, how about some shortcuts. Just say, "Call home," or "Call wife." The way it is now it seems like alot of steps and prompts. "Dial by name." "Dial by name has been chosen, when...." "Home." "Home. Please press on the off hook button to complete your call...." It takes too long!

Is the glove compartment too small for the rest of you? Owner's Manual barely fits.

But the list of things I love are far too numerous to list! Maybe in another thread...

Appleton -

Based on the target age (55) and annual income ($125K) for this vehicle, I suspect the ashtray was installed for the "cigar afficianado" and the cassette deck seems to be a Toyota thing! I agree with your entire list and would add the following minor tweaks:

1.) ML audio system should allow for the driver to control the AUX device from the steering wheel or worst case the NAV touch screen (I.E.: ability to shuffle through artists, albums, tracks, etc)

2.) Interior lighting should be improved - especially in the back seat area.

3.) Add side mirror indicator signals.

4.) Trunk - add an auto open feature on the key FOB - one that completely opens the trunk vs. simply popping the lock.

5.) Add a "mute" button to the steering wheel for the audio system.

6.) Add some additional wood grain options to select from - the "Dark Gray Bird's-Eye Maple Accent" available on the LS would be a nice option.

7.) Redesign the steering wheel (bottom half of steering wheel should be designed like an upside down "Y") - I hope that makes sense.

I also really like my ES 350 and can not wait to take it on a long cruise to truly enjoy the luxury ride!

I agree with most of what people have mentioned here. Definitely the overhead buttons could have been lit and the seat temp controls better placed. As for the ash tray, I pulled the box out and it makes for a perfect place for my cell phone when it is out of the holster. So how about making a cell phone holder that is padded so it will not rattle? Everybody has a cell phone...

Also, I know not everybody has an iPod, but something that will interface the sound system with an iPod, not just an 'Aux'. To be able to control it from the sound system. There is an aftermarket one that seems to work well, but I have to order it then have it installed.

Also, for voice recognition, how about some shortcuts. Just say, "Call home," or "Call wife." The way it is now it seems like alot of steps and prompts. "Dial by name." "Dial by name has been chosen, when...." "Home." "Home. Please press on the off hook button to complete your call...." It takes too long!

Is the glove compartment too small for the rest of you? Owner's Manual barely fits.

But the list of things I love are far too numerous to list! Maybe in another thread...

I had forgot about the seat temp controls as I dont use them that much but I cant see how

they missed knowing that they are not in a good location. It would have made a lot more

sense to make them part of the main AC controls.

Appleton -

Based on the target age (55) and annual income ($125K) for this vehicle, I suspect the ashtray was installed for the "cigar afficianado" and the cassette deck seems to be a Toyota thing! I agree with your entire list and would add the following minor tweaks:

1.) ML audio system should allow for the driver to control the AUX device from the steering wheel or worst case the NAV touch screen (I.E.: ability to shuffle through artists, albums, tracks, etc)

4.) Trunk - add an auto open feature on the key FOB - one that completely opens the trunk vs. simply popping the lock.

6.) Add some additional wood grain options to select from - the "Dark Gray Bird's-Eye Maple Accent" available on the LS would be a nice option.

7.) Redesign the steering wheel (bottom half of steering wheel should be designed like an upside down "Y") - I hope that makes sense.

I also really like my ES 350 and can not wait to take it on a long cruise to truly enjoy the luxury ride!

I think we are on the way to designing the PERFECT automobile.

Some great ideas on this and the previous posts. Seems too, that a lot of these ideas would not add much cost to the production of the car. Leaving out the cassette deck and the cigar tray would save a few dollars to invest in some of the suggested areas.... lighting, spring loaded trunk lids and coat hooks!

Appleton -

Some great ideas on this and the previous posts. Seems too, that a lot of these ideas would not add much cost to the production of the car. Leaving out the cassette deck and the cigar tray would save a few dollars to invest in some of the suggested areas.... lighting, spring loaded trunk lids and coat hooks!

Not all ES models have the cassette deck mine doesnt but I wish it did.

I agree with the comment about the voice recognition shortcuts. The glove compartment is small but I pull out the short guides and place them in the side pocket and keep the larger documents in the trunk. I also have several old cassettes so enjoy having the player in the car. We have had our car since November '07 and can say it is a joy to drive and in which to ride. I enjoy cars, so am always looking for "the little things" - such as the image of the gas pump. I would have placed it on the left side, immediately above the "E" - just makes more sense to me. Guess we are trying to make "the perfect car". I think Lexus is heads above the rest in striving for that.

I wish though the would get away from the 1960s LED clock!!!! It looks like an old Timex digital watch I used to have.........haha!

I think an analog style clock (with hands) would be a better fit with an ES 350.

I wish though the would get away from the 1960s LED clock!!!! It looks like an old Timex digital watch I used to have.........haha!

I think an analog style clock (with hands) would be a better fit with an ES 350.

The analog clock would certainly look classier. Nice suggestion.

Agree with a classy analog clock (gee, even a more modern LED clock would be ok). The voice recognition is something that could be enhanced. Gee, even the Ford Focus Sync system seems to work better than ours. My big issue is that it should have a way to operate the nav while driving. In Hertz rent a cars, if you try to operate it while driving, it says "do you want the passenger to use this" and if you say yes, it enables it. Either that or firm up the voice recognition. Has anyone figured out how to have your nav system (via voice) to search for an POI like a golf course (I don't mean show the POIs). I mean trying to get a list of golf courses, scrolling down the list, and then setting one as your destination (while driving). I don't think that is available and I wish it was.....oh well, I hope Lexus is reading this forum for the 2010 ES!!!! Wonder if we will get a royalty!!! ha ha

JGT -

Have you seen the clock in the new Infiniti M35/45? VERY nice touch and it adds a sense of sophistication!

Appleton -

Appleton -

My ES has a coat hook on each side (back seats) of the vehicle. Part of the issue, IMO, is that car manufacturers do not heed the advice of their consumers! I would imagine that there are some very strong minded individuals, with some rather large egos, that are designing these vehicles and have put their "mark" on the design. However, if Lexus is taking the time to conduct the research and track some of these posts, then I agree, they are well on their way to designing the perfect car (at least for a few of us).

Appleton -

I never thought about the trunk popping all of the way open. Terrific idea. Lexus put a hand grip on the inside of the trunk lid so that you can close it without touching the outside surface of the car. Yet, you almost have to touch the outside when fully opening the lid.

A mute button on the wheel would be brilliant.

I really enjoy music but have never purchased any sort of Ipod device. I'm sure if I did I would want the kind of connectivity you suggest.

Good stuff!

Appleton -

Appleton -

My ES has a coat hook on each side (back seats) of the vehicle. Part of the issue, IMO, is that car manufacturers do not heed the advice of their consumers! I would imagine that there are some very strong minded individuals, with some rather large egos, that are designing these vehicles and have put their "mark" on the design. However, if Lexus is taking the time to conduct the research and track some of these posts, then I agree, they are well on their way to designing the perfect car (at least for a few of us).

I believe the 2007 ES 350 has coat hooks. Many customers complained however about the lack of lighting in the rear seat area of the '07. In 2008, Lexus responded by adding lights. Unfortunately they put them where the hooks used to be in the '07 model. Not sure if egos came in to play here. My guess is Lexus knowingly sacrificed the hooks for what some might argue was a safety issue (too little light for rear passengers might = hot coffee spills or whatever). Given what I guess to be the average demographics of an ES 350 buyer, many are in the jacket and tie league and probably miss the hooks. Oh, the handle grips work has garment hangers, but they are awkward.

Analog clocks are so played out nowadays though. Infiniti started using them and everyone has jumped on the bandwagon. I think just a more modern looking clock would be more attractive.

I also wish the ES still had a 4 spoke steering wheel.

More woodgrain and a more natural looking grain for the dash material are tops on my list. And bring back triple stitched leather.

More woodgrain and a more natural looking grain for the dash material are tops on my list. And bring back triple stitched leather.

Hey SW, I agree on your suggestions!!! That digital clock though....argh (I think they made the lights on the buttons around the nav system to match that awful green old digital clock). Now, the Cadillac CTS has digital readouts for the temperature (driver and passenger)...they were a little more modern in my opinion than that ugly digital clock in our ES. But, hey, I would rather have the resale value, quiet and comfort of my ES and the bluetooth (that the CTS did not have).

Analog clocks are so played out nowadays though. Infiniti started using them and everyone has jumped on the bandwagon. I think just a more modern looking clock would be more attractive.

SW -

I agree on the steering wheel and the leather stitching. Are you aware of any after market parts to upgrade the "cherry wood" look the 07 ES has? Again, the Gray Bird's Eye Maple would be ideal :) The more I drive my ES the more it bothers me :(

Agree with a classy analog clock (gee, even a more modern LED clock would be ok). The voice recognition is something that could be enhanced. Gee, even the Ford Focus Sync system seems to work better than ours. My big issue is that it should have a way to operate the nav while driving. In Hertz rent a cars, if you try to operate it while driving, it says "do you want the passenger to use this" and if you say yes, it enables it. Either that or firm up the voice recognition. Has anyone figured out how to have your nav system (via voice) to search for an POI like a golf course (I don't mean show the POIs). I mean trying to get a list of golf courses, scrolling down the list, and then setting one as your destination (while driving). I don't think that is available and I wish it was.....oh well, I hope Lexus is reading this forum for the 2010 ES!!!! Wonder if we will get a royalty!!! ha ha

Our suggestions for voice recognition and the interface with the Nav are just programing changes that can be done quite easily. We would not have to get a new car for that, just update the one that we have. It would be great if Lexus would take these suggestions into account. Especially reverse engineering the Sync and others out there... But you know what they say, the Sync is a Microsoft product, so expect it to close all your windows and crash!

Somebody did write all the voice commands that are avaliable, like "nearest gas station" and it will show you the nearest gas stations and you choose the one you want to go to. I printed it out once, but it's hard to read that while you're driving, lol. I have not memorized them yet.

Here's another suggestion, how about giving us the ability to upgrade our system to have a hard drive installed? Then we can upload our music and not need an iPod or MP3 player hooked up.

And, how about opening up the BT to allow other devices to connect to the head unit? One suggestion would be for MP3 devices or iPods to be able to transfer music in order to play it or transfer the music files to that hard drive we just installed.

These are all software upgrades, except for the hard drive. But, have you seen how small they make these 40 Gig hard drives these days. And the LS has an HD.

Our suggestions for voice recognition and the interface with the Nav are just programing changes that can be done quite easily. We would not have to get a new car for that, just update the one that we have. It would be great if Lexus would take these suggestions into account. Especially reverse engineering the Sync and others out there... But you know what they say, the Sync is a Microsoft product, so expect it to close all your windows and crash!

Somebody did write all the voice commands that are avaliable, like "nearest gas station" and it will show you the nearest gas stations and you choose the one you want to go to. I printed it out once, but it's hard to read that while you're driving, lol. I have not memorized them yet.

Here's another suggestion, how about giving us the ability to upgrade our system to have a hard drive installed? Then we can upload our music and not need an iPod or MP3 player hooked up.

And, how about opening up the BT to allow other devices to connect to the head unit? One suggestion would be for MP3 devices or iPods to be able to transfer music in order to play it or transfer the music files to that hard drive we just installed.

These are all software upgrades, except for the hard drive. But, have you seen how small they make these 40 Gig hard drives these days. And the LS has an HD.

AZ -

Another great suggestion regarding the HD. This is becoming a very popular feature and within 2-3 years I would imagine that you will see 250 GB or larger capacity HDs installed on all luxury vehicles as standard equipment. If Lexus/Toyota is truly concerned about driver/passenger safety, then this becomes a no brainer as a current driver can not control their plugged in AUX device from the steering wheel or head unit; rather, one must use the iPod/iPhone to navigate through the library of songs - talk about dangerous!

Some other neat features being rolled out with other luxury lines include a heads up display (cast onto the windshield) and infared (night) vision displayed through the NAV unit.

AZ -

Another great suggestion regarding the HD. This is becoming a very popular feature and within 2-3 years I would imagine that you will see 250 GB or larger capacity HDs installed on all luxury vehicles as standard equipment. If Lexus/Toyota is truly concerned about driver/passenger safety, then this becomes a no brainer as a current driver can not control their plugged in AUX device from the steering wheel or head unit; rather, one must use the iPod/iPhone to navigate through the library of songs - talk about dangerous!

Some other neat features being rolled out with other luxury lines include a heads up display (cast onto the windshield) and infared (night) vision displayed through the NAV unit.

Funny you mention the HUD. Back in the early 90's when I was with GM in Detroit they were putting HUDs on some cars. I really liked it, but I guess it didn't catch on then. That was over 15 years ago! Also, back then they had experimented with digital gauges and people did not like them because analog gives you a better sense of acceleration, etc. That's why with any digital read out for MPH, you also see an analog like display. Infrared display, now that would be cool!

I totally agree on the 4 spoke steering wheel Steve! B) I miss mine from my 01 ES.

From taking quite a bit of seat time in a few ES 350's at my local dealer......I wish they would add a little more storage whether it be an extra cubby or 2 or another smart idea the engineers seem to come up with from time to time. B)

:cheers: