Cleaned My Throttle Body!

jcrome04

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I was starring at the engine of my new to me 01 GS430 last weekend, I couldn't help but notice all the wires and hoses now associated with the throttle body. It appears that with the introduction of the whole vvti thing, more crap connects to connectors, and connectors connecting to connector connectors. I just stood there, scratching my head, and muttering "crap, now this looks a bit different to me". In some aspects, I miss the simplier setup of my 95' LS.

So, as reference, I walked over to the 4runner "grabbing another beer along the way", popped the hood to take a look at that engine "05' 4.7 V8" to compare. It was at this point where I drained that beer, closed the hood, grabbed another beer during my 10 foot trip back to the GS, closed that hood too, and simply sat in my garage with the remaining 12 pack and watched basketball on the shop tv. All I could ask myself was "did toYOTA build this thing, or Jedi Master toYODA?"

Has anyone tackled this proceedure on the 4.3 V8 yet? I can't even imagine what the 4.6 engine in the new LS's look like. It's probably easier to solve a rubix cube.

I hear ya' there! Unfortunately though, it's pretty much a needed item in the GS430 to prevent spinout on slick roads. Don't get me wrong, I'm not even close to complaining about 300hp/325lb's torque. But in that car, when it rains, it's easy for me to get that little trac light to kick on, which snaps that rear end right back into place. Kind of cool actually, but clearly has it's price when trying to figure out how to navigate around it in the engine bay.

That's for sure.

My LS always kicks itself back to straight when I spin out.

Does it have LSD?? :huh:

I've never actually tried to find that out.

No, it has an open differential. LSD wouldn't help it straighten out again anyway.

Oh lol. I'm not too experienced with differentials bahaha :lol:

all I know is that if I floor it from a turn, either direction, it straightens itself out pretty quick. It's hard to spin out. Makes for nice drifting though B)

Ok I tried. Couldnt get it off. 92 LS400. To many cable pullys attatched to it and all that. Im not even sure how to get the 2 bolts out of the top. They have no head. Sooo...Maybe if you were explaining this to a 5 year old....

Yea it is a little more complicated than I thought but I'm sure there are 5 year olds that could to a better job than me. I got the black plastic intake off and saw than the backside of the valve was very dirty and I cleaned it the best I could with it still on but I need to take it off but I'm lost as to how.

It's easy to remove cables, hoses.

Just remember what goes where :D

I know on my 97 one hose was a coolant bypass. I just plugged it with a ballpoint pen :D

Oh lol. I'm not too experienced with differentials bahaha :lol:

all I know is that if I floor it from a turn, either direction, it straightens itself out pretty quick. It's hard to spin out. Makes for nice drifting though B)

late reply, but that would be thanks to the nice 50/50 wieght ratio these cars have!!

That's probably because it has an open differential. Only one wheel is losing traction.

ive been encouraged to tackle mine this weekend also jcrome, since i just hit 200k on my trip to Texas last week.

Good project for me while my wife goes to a Gardening class Saturday. :lol:

Perfect! :lol: haha

• 2 weeks later...