Es350 Gas Mileage

1st Lexus

Bad - we are talking about the ES 350... not the IS.. and that is not the entire verbiage in the owners manual for the ES 350 as relates to octane.

OK. I understand that, I couldn't find the "exact" verbiage for the ES 350. Do you by chance have it? Can you post it here?

FuelRequirementsES350.jpg

Thank you amf.

Lexus would certainly not use that particular wording if using 87 octane would hurt anything. Lexus would be opening themselves up for endless complaints, lawsuits etc.

I have a V6 Camry engine – I am totally cool with that… :)

(Right now I have a 400h loaner... and I am even cooler with that!)

Thanks Alan. So, 87 Octane will NOT damage the engine - nice to know. I'll still spend the extra $100-$200/year and only use 91 Octane or higher, to ensure that I am obtaining "optimal engine performance", as stated in the owners manual :D

You can't buy leaded gasoline in Canada.....and haven't been able to for decades.

I do agree though your not going to do any damage to your engine if you run a high quality regular grade. ;)

:cheers:

I asked because somebody in this thread said, "No. We still put lead, beer and beaver tails in our gas." I didn't believe the beaver tail part :rolleyes:

amf, GREAT JOB! That clears it up alot and that is what I heard (and experienced...with 89 octane anyway). Hey AZ, glad to see you back!!! Haven't seen any posts from you lately (until this) but I have been away for awhile on business! And Bad, I understand and somewhat agree with you about if we have a Lexus we probably should be able to afford the extra $45...however, I am always looking for a bargain and also do not want to pay for anything I don't have to (if it is not necessary). I do feel you get what you pay for most of the time, but not always. Thanks to amf, we all now know!!!! Thanks again amf!

Thanks JGT, just haven't been as active, but always keeping up with the latest. I'll be on vacation next week, so probably will not be here!

I wanted to comment on the people that had to cancel their vacation because of the added fuel cost. The story is definitely over dramatized by the media and made to look like it may be the only reason, that they can't afford the extra $45 for the 1K round-trip. Reality for some people is that, suppose this family drives 1K a week with both of their vehicles, getting kids to school, commute to work, etc... For them then, it's an extra $45 per week just in fuel cost increase, not to mention the cost of groceries, heating, and electricity that is also impacted by the price of oil. Just in fuel cost annually, it is an increase of $2340. For a family of 4 making $60K a year, that is an impact, and corners have to be cut, and the first corner to cut is that vacation... Do you really want to blow that $1500 that you had saved for this vacation, plus the credit card debt that will come afterwards when you know how tough it will be when you get back?

Again, over-dramatized and over-played and I can't stand it when local TV news interview any schmo for useless commentary and opinions. I don't agree with everything they say in the press, but I am just trying to add a little perspective. Let's hope that it doesn't get to this, but if it does, can you imagine how empty the highways will be?

• 2 weeks later...

I went in for my 1000 mile checkup and asked the service advisor about regular vs. high test. He said that once you use regular, it will !Removed! the ECM permanently and will have to be reset by the dealer. The first reset is free. After that, YOYO ie. you're on your own and will have to pay for the reset. I find this ridiculous that the ECM will stay locked for regular fuel and will not adjust itself if you put high test back in. If this is true, it may explain why others who have tried high test after running regular see no difference in performance. After the reset, my transmission shifts more smoothly and the engine seems more responsive, so I am leery about going back to regular again. Any guru opinions out there would be appreciated.

Thats BS...

sounds like crap to me to. did the tech. disconnect the battery for 10 to 15 min. and charge big bucks for that? I had a Lexus tech. say that would work. I run 87 and 89 in my 04 es. car runs great.

tim

• 3 weeks later...
Bad - we are talking about the ES 350... not the IS.. and that is not the entire verbiage in the owners manual for the ES 350 as relates to octane.

OK. I understand that, I couldn't find the "exact" verbiage for the ES 350. Do you by chance have it? Can you post it here?

FuelRequirementsES350.jpg

deleted...posted in wrong forum...

Good post all.

After reading these posts I have been using 89 Octane versus 91 and see the same MPG and same performance No speed, acceleration other performance drops IMHO, but in my driving a slight drop maybe it is not noticable. . Now as I am not racing or taxing this per se there could be a minimal drop.

Fine accelerating to 60-80 on Parkways.

I will say that theclosest Gas station to our house ( HESS) station gas seems to be crap because both my wifes truck, my car (my previous car) would get less MPG (2-4 MPG) when filling up there.

cheerio