Disappointed

Wooha317

Although I unuderstand the nature of this forum, which has been very helpful in learning new things about my ES350, I am very disappointed with the way people talk negatively about this car. If I would have read these forums before purchasing this car, I would have never bought it. I am thankful that this is not the case because I absolutely love this car and I am enjoying it very much. As I have owned Accords, Integras, Pilots, all new in the past, I never thoroughly enjoyed these cars as much as I enjoy the Lexus. This will be my first posting, as well as my last , (maybe) as I realize reading all these negative comments about a car I enjoy so much is detrimental to my overall outlook of this vehicle. Those of you who take care in keeping this forum fresh and helpful, keep up the good work and your work is appreciated. For all of you who have nothing nice to say, shame on you for spending $40K on a car you don't like, however I have a feeling you will find a way to complain about anything. The only advice I have, take it or leave it...RTFM! IMHO.

Wooha317, your opinion on this subject and mine are very much the same. In fact, I have commented on this in other forum threads.

It is a fact that many ES350 owners have experienced specific problems with their cars. It is also a fact that many other owners such as myself have had nothing but excellent experience with our ES350. I attribute this mixture to the kind of difficulties associated with first model year vehicles. There may be design defects and perhaps bugs in certain first year cars that should have been fixed before the model's release. However, taking evrything into consideration and comparing my ES350 to other first year model cars made by other brands, I find the ES to be simply terrific.

It is still amazing to me that the price of my ES350 was less than half of my former "luxury" car. Yet, I think it is a finer car with better performance, greater comfort, more features and a higher level of technology then any other car I have ever owned (and, I might add, I have owned thirty-nine cars to date).

Lastly, I peruse automobile forums to read other owners comments. However, I still do my own detailed research, test drive competitive brands and then make my selection for a car that best meets my desires and needs. The ES350 is the one I chose in June. It has met my every expectation.

Good for you for posting positive thoughts, even though it is couched in a negative view of those who post negative views. :blink:

It is often the case that people who post or comment do so out of desperation or the occurrence of negative circumstances. It is rare for people to post just to say how pleased they are. It is the same with just about any consumer feedback; pleased people do not post, those with a problem want the world to know and possibly help. Perhaps you have experienced the same thing.

I joined this forum because of some questions and concerns about my new Lexus and probably 98% of the others here joined for the same reason. Those looking for solutions will search while those completely pleased will leave well enough alone.

I have been participating in other car forums for several years now. Simply, the negative comments and posts are the nature of the beast. While some posts are just dis-satisfactions and complaints from generally negative people, most are concerns about a particular problem that the poster is enduring, and are intended to prompt some solution either by a dealer or DIY.

As a new member of this forum, I am a little surprised at the small amount of DIY stuff here, but will continue to read almost daily to see what is going on with other Lexus owners. So, don't be put off by the perception of negativity on any forum. The posters still represent a very small % of the owners. Your perception of your ride is still the only important thing and the forums only point out specific things for specific people.

Keep the faith

Rick

I hope you dont take us negatively, Yes many of us joined this forum for problems, but alas I have grown to enjoy this forum and the people in it. Every product out their has problems, and this forum gives us the ability to complain. I lost my transmission on my RX (yes first year model) but I love the car. I just am dissapointed with Lexus and their lack of support for my problem. But in the meantime I have learned and saved lots of dollars by the tips and maintenance procedures that people have shared. I invite you to continue with this forum as well as CLub Lexus which also has a great forum. The knowledge base learned here will save you a lot of time and money (which can be spent on nice dinners) as well as not being so ignorant when approaching your dealership service departments....They in many cases talk you down thinking you know nothing other than how to put gas in the car...Welcome aboard, continue, by the way my son has also bought the ES350 2007 and very much so loves his car. Hey if problems arise, you will hear them here first, and sometimes that annyoying little problem that you ignored will be shared with others for the benefit of everyone....Have a great day Tom

I agree with you it is very frustrating. Unfortunately free expression is important, so as long as people aren't breaking the rules then we have to let them express their viewpoints even if we don't agree with them. We do get rid of the sort of people that do nothing but complain and do it in a way that is rude and disrespectful to others.

It'll change as the model gets older. It was the same way when the 02-06 ES first came out and it settled down.

All I can say is stick around and post positive stuff! We'd love it.

Although I unuderstand the nature of this forum, which has been very helpful in learning new things about my ES350, I am very disappointed with the way people talk negatively about this car. If I would have read these forums before purchasing this car, I would have never bought it. I am thankful that this is not the case because I absolutely love this car and I am enjoying it very much. As I have owned Accords, Integras, Pilots, all new in the past, I never thoroughly enjoyed these cars as much as I enjoy the Lexus. This will be my first posting, as well as my last , (maybe) as I realize reading all these negative comments about a car I enjoy so much is detrimental to my overall outlook of this vehicle. Those of you who take care in keeping this forum fresh and helpful, keep up the good work and your work is appreciated. For all of you who have nothing nice to say, shame on you for spending $40K on a car you don't like, however I have a feeling you will find a way to complain about anything. The only advice I have, take it or leave it...RTFM! IMHO.

You are missing the POINT...!!

These forums on the internet are an absolute GODSEND for the automotive public at large.

Where else can the automotive buying public come together cohesively and bring the manufacturers to task for design problems, manufacturering flaws, etc....??

The automotive magazines do an absolutely FINE job of touting the virtues of cars & trucks but would put a serious level of their revenue at risk were they to become a clearing house for the myriad of problems the general public encounters from time to time.

Name one venue other than these forums wherein the public at large has a way or method to come together and compare problems, potentially widespread problems, with other individuals.

So, if you have nice things to say about whatever car you own, fine, post them here.

And if you don't want to know, read about, owners with problems that just might be widespread enough that the manufacturer would even acknowledge a need to know, then simply move on down the page.

...As a new member of this forum, I am a little surprised at the small amount of DIY stuff here...

Rick

Me too!

I discovered this forum today 'cause my wife couldn't find her car manual and I needed to know how much oil to put into her ES350. I never did find a website with this information, but she eventually found the manual buried in the trunk, so all's well :D .

I'm a DIYer but I suspect most Lexus buyers are not.

Sorry you feel this way about the forum. I have posted a few negative comments about the Lexus, not to knock the car but to provide some input that may help others better understand and enjoy the car. I like my Lexus better since reading the forum. I have more reasonable expectations about issues such as the NAV system.

• 2 months later...

:angry: To each his/her own experience. I have never been so disappointed with a vehicle and dealership service. My 2008 ES 350, ultra premium package, was delivered on Jan 07, 2008, it felt great. Then it was sent for repairs on Jan 29th where it had spent 8 days at the dealership after the computer/navigation system did not load. There was no access to any features controlled by this unit, most heater controls, stereo, bluetooth, etc.. To add insult onto injury, the vehicle was returned on the eve of Feb 6th, the dealership damaged my leather seats - there were cuts and scrapes to both front seats (the center console had to be removed to replace the unit) that were noticed later that night and the car was returned first thing in the morning when the dealership opened for their inspection. I was told that they would get back to me as to whether the manager would accept responsibility and repair the damage (yes - can you believe this). Now the navigation system cannot seem to position my car correctly on the maps, it becomes out of sync (sometimes placing me in a different city), I have reset my current position following the instruction in the owners manual on several occasions; each time it becomes out of sync again. It's now Feb 10th, and no reply from the dealership on whether they will repair the damage they created - I am sure that they will eventually let me know their decision. Guess what I believe they will say?

Touché – The Lexus Experience… ‘Pursue the moment’, ‘The Pursuit of Perfection’

As with anything you will here good and bad as for my take on my 07 ES350 it has

some good points and bad points. The two best points about the car at this point

is the gas mileage and acceleration and also its a corfortable road car.

As for the bad the overall build quality is IMO below Toyota standards my 2001 Camry

and my 2004 Honda CRV were better way less problems and less rattles with both

I feel Toyota cut the quality with the 2007 redesign any way thats my take on the

car and im not going to get into a discuission on the matter because im just stateing

facts.

:angry: To each his/her own experience. I have never been so disappointed with a vehicle and dealership service. My 2008 ES 350, ultra premium package, was delivered on Jan 07, 2008, it felt great. Then it was sent for repairs on Jan 29th where it had spent 8 days at the dealership after the computer/navigation system did not load. There was no access to any features controlled by this unit, most heater controls, stereo, bluetooth, etc.. To add insult onto injury, the vehicle was returned on the eve of Feb 6th, the dealership damaged my leather seats - there were cuts and scrapes to both front seats (the center console had to be removed to replace the unit) that were noticed later that night and the car was returned first thing in the morning when the dealership opened for their inspection. I was told that they would get back to me as to whether the manager would accept responsibility and repair the damage (yes - can you believe this). Now the navigation system cannot seem to position my car correctly on the maps, it becomes out of sync (sometimes placing me in a different city), I have reset my current position following the instruction in the owners manual on several occasions; each time it becomes out of sync again. It's now Feb 10th, and no reply from the dealership on whether they will repair the damage they created - I am sure that they will eventually let me know their decision. Guess what I believe they will say?

It sounds to me like your issue is more with the dealership than the car...

Unfortunately the dealers are all independently owned and Lexus doesn't have much control over the way the dealers are run. I would get my issue dealt with there and then take the car to a different dealer.

My dealer is wonderful. They put a very tiny mark in the rear bumper of my car (something most people would not have noticed) the last time it was in and they agreed to take care of it to my satisfaction at my own repair shop.

:angry: To each his/her own experience. I have never been so disappointed with a vehicle and dealership service.

SKM,

What dealership did you buy your ES 350 from?

Welcome to the club btw.

:cheers:

I should have mentioned that the vehicle was purchased at a different dealership than the one completing the service. My experience with the selling dealership was EXCELLENT - Lexus of Windsor.

Today my local dealership called and said that they would repair the damaged seats (I was surprised) and that they will check out the NAV system. Let's see if everything gets set right next week.

Unfortunately the dealers are all independently owned and Lexus doesn't have much control over the way the dealers are run. I would get my issue dealt with there and then take the car to a different dealer.

My dealer is wonderful. They put a very tiny mark in the rear bumper of my car (something most people would not have noticed) the last time it was in and they agreed to take care of it to my satisfaction at my own repair shop.

Lexus Canada did respond to an email that I sent yesterday and indicated exactly what you mentioned - that they have no control and that this dealership has a good history. Well, the dealership agreed today to fix their damage to the seats and inspect the nav system next week. Hopefully this bad situation will go away.

I should have mentioned that the vehicle was purchased at a different dealership than the one completing the service. My experience with the selling dealership was EXCELLENT - Lexus of Windsor.

Today my local dealership called and said that they would repair the damaged seats (I was surprised) and that they will check out the NAV system. Let's see if everything gets set right next week.

Is the 'servicing' dealer Northwest Lexus in Brampton?

:huh: I don't want to disclose the servicing dealer as they are attempting to correct the situation (at least I hope that everything gets corrected - and without further damage). As for the NAV system, I am leaning towards the GPS antenna not working, turned on, or connected to the unit based on the response to my posting on the Navigation thread. I have also noticed that the calendar on the NAV is not working. I cannot change or select the days,months, etc.. Perhaps there is a setting to turn on that I have not become familiar with as yet. I will be happy to post the status of the repairs when the car is returned, it goes into the dealer next Wednesday.

:huh: I don't want to disclose the servicing dealer as they are attempting to correct the situation (at least I hope that everything gets corrected - and without further damage). As for the NAV system, I am leaning towards the GPS antenna not working, turned on, or connected to the unit based on the response to my posting on the Navigation thread. I have also noticed that the calendar on the NAV is not working. I cannot change or select the days,months, etc.. Perhaps there is a setting to turn on that I have not become familiar with as yet. I will be happy to post the status of the repairs when the car is returned, it goes into the dealer next Wednesday.

OKay folks, all I can say is the more sophisticated the technology in the car, the higher the chances of these failing is very common. For instance,as a simple example, a car without abs and a car with abs, the car without abs has simpler brake parts thus it seems more reliable,but with the car with the abs, you have all this additional parts like abs sensor, abs pump, abs power booster etc. All I can say, as a owner of both Mercedes and Lexus, I will pick Lexus anytime. Just my personal taste,not to bash MBZ. Newer lexus are more sophisticated than older models thus more things can go wrong. Just my opinion.

Understood SKM. ;)

Hey, I agree that we all should be a little more positive. However, I do appreciate those that post items that may be negative just in case we have a similar problem. By the way, so far, I love my 2008 ES 350 UL (black on black). But, I have a few minor things that I have learned about here on this forum. For instance, I sometimes have a "creaking" noise inside (mainly when it is cold and I hit a bump). Now, it has only happened about 3 times but after reading it here, I feel I have information to monitor it and go back to the dealer if I need to (my 1000 mile check coming up). Also, I read about the slight upshifting at about 40 mph and 20 mph. I have that slightly....but I am getting used to it and it seems to be not as bad the longer I have had the car.

Again, I agree with you that people should be more positive. However, the "negative" issues that people post about help us all!

Thanks for the post and I am glad you love your Lexus as I do! Maybe some day the one real issue I would like to learn about (the Navigation Override) will be posted in this forum for all of us to change!!!

Look forward to other posts!

• 2 weeks later...

Lexus Canada did respond to an email that I sent yesterday and indicated exactly what you mentioned - that they have no control and that this dealership has a good history. Well, the dealership agreed today to fix their damage to the seats and inspect the nav system next week. Hopefully this bad situation will go away.

Update...I received my car back last Friday.

1) The navigation system was the GPS antenna not attached properly (claimed that it was a wire in the harness problem).

2) The calendar not working...this was part of number 1 - the GPS antenna.

3) The seats were repaired. They claimed that the area of leather that was damaged was replaced. This is possible for the driver's seat, however, a closer look at the passenger’s seat indicate that some type of filler was used (I will have to monitor this).

I had noticed that the strip of material (I think plastic) between the passenger doors, front and back is not glued down properly; it has become lose. They did not damage this but forgot to complete the repairs, it's related to fit and finish with the manufacturer.

Update...I received my car back last Friday.

1) The navigation system was the GPS antenna not attached properly (claimed that it was a wire in the harness problem).

2) The calendar not working...this was part of number 1 - the GPS antenna.

3) The seats were repaired. They claimed that the area of leather that was damaged was replaced. This is possible for the driver's seat, however, a closer look at the passenger’s seat indicate that some type of filler was used (I will have to monitor this).

I had noticed that the strip of material (I think plastic) between the passenger doors, front and back is not glued down properly; it has become lose. They did not damage this but forgot to complete the repairs, it's related to fit and finish with the manufacturer.

SKM, you have a PM. B)

I think its the dealerships that leave a bad taste as for me i have nothing but praise for lexus, my wife simply adores her ES 350, she even loved the old ES 330 but she waited for the 350 and i bought her one back in Feb 07 with the ultra luxury package and its an AWESOME car, the ML sound system is one of the best i've ever heard stock on a car and the Gen 5 Nav system is great as well as the MPG and power the car has, i am truly impressed and to date no problems at all. Now for the dealership i have to say i experienced maybe the best customer service i have ever received before my purchase and during my purchase and even better after my purchase, now i cant say that all dealerships are the same but Lexus of Annapolis treated me with the up most respect no matter how i showed up dressed and being that i live far away from them they came to my house picked up my wif'es car for service and dropped off a loaner vehicle for her to use now if thats not service then i dont what is...even when my wifes's car got hit they took care of the car and took it to their repair shop that specializes in repairing lexus's and made it brand new and even detailed for free for me that is why i'm considering buying another lexus