Teen Purchase Of A Is300?

FES330lix

I went to my sister's house several weekends ago for my nephew's birthday celebration; he turned 16. And being 16, the first thing he did was schedule a drive test and pass with flying colors.

We went stopped by three dealerships last night and he didn't take serious interest in anything. That is, until he laid his eyes on a black 2001 IS300. After I dropped him off at his house and went home, my sister called me and told me her concern; he wants the Lexus. After some research I discovered IS300's around 4-6 years old cost below $15,000 (the price max for his car) and hold strong reliability and quality.

Me and my family's main concern is whether or not the IS300 is a suitable first car. It has an adequate amount of power, lots of luxury appointments teens will appreciate, and very reliable even though it's 6 years old (I had a 2001 330Ci...never again!). We also have no clue about the insurance rates. Your input is greatly appreciated!

We just purchased a 2003 IS300, for 18,000. What is the KBB on this lexus. But in my personal opinion maybe let him drive around your sisters car until he get more experienced. A friend of mine sold her Mercedes with only 20,000 miles on it to a first time driver and withing the first few weeks. It was crashed. Also a Lexus for a first time driver, insurance maybe a little pricey. My sister was a first time driver and bought a brand new Toyota Corolla. Oh my goodness, was her insurance high. I believe total with her insurance was about 200 because it was a new car. However it may differ being that the car is used. you sister could just call and ask for quotes for insurance.

I went to my sister's house several weekends ago for my nephew's birthday celebration; he turned 16. And being 16, the first thing he did was schedule a drive test and pass with flying colors.

We went stopped by three dealerships last night and he didn't take serious interest in anything. That is, until he laid his eyes on a black 2001 IS300. After I dropped him off at his house and went home, my sister called me and told me her concern; he wants the Lexus. After some research I discovered IS300's around 4-6 years old cost below $15,000 (the price max for his car) and hold strong reliability and quality.

Me and my family's main concern is whether or not the IS300 is a suitable first car. It has an adequate amount of power, lots of luxury appointments teens will appreciate, and very reliable even though it's 6 years old (I had a 2001 330Ci...never again!). We also have no clue about the insurance rates. Your input is greatly appreciated!

I guess it depends on the kid really. I don't think of the IS 300 as a "first car" though. It's just too much car for someone starting out. Like a Mustang Shelby. It's just not a good idea as a first car. this car has been around long enouph also that there is alot of aftermarket support to make that car even faster. ( Just look at my signature!!!) LOL!! The IS 300 is a target car. People usually buy this car because they were looking for it specifically. But on the other hand it has 6 air bags, traction control, rides great, reliability is very high, and on and on and on.

There are so many things going on in a young kids life these days,,,,if he has a 15k budget,( and by the way, 15k? nice parents!!!!, wish I had 15K to buy my first car with.) I would seriously consider a new car. Then you get a warranty to cover the "issues". etc. etc. and the resale value will be higher then to help himself buy the next car. Especially when you consider the Mitsubishi Lancer is 13,500 new!, A Mazda 3, Toyota Carolla S, and Saturn Ion all under 15k and brand new. I would hate to think he would be upset that his parents made him get a brand new car!!!

Let's look at it like this. He's 16 now. 2 years and he's 18 and the lexus is now 8 years old, or a 2 year old new car. Now college? 4 years ? 12 year old Lexus or 6 year old new car? That's a big expense for someone coming out of college to have to buy a new car right away. 6 years old car is a much better place to be at then yes? Parents just spent what a couple hundred grand on college? and now a new car again?

I don't know, kids are so impulsive and want what they want. Atleast I'm 37 now and spend my own money.

I agree with what smooth said almost completely. I'm 19, so I guess I'm technically still a teenager, but this IS wasn't my first car. I had a volvo 850GLT that my dad got me mostly for the safety because he wasn't sure how good of a driver I'd be (with a stock turbo on it.. fun as hell at 16, but it handled like a tank). In 3 years of owning the car I'd never gotten in an accident or even gotten a ticket, which really helped when it came to the support of buying my IS. The volvo is safe.. but so is the IS. The IS is MUCH MUCH more reliable (although I've only owned mine for a short time, but from everything I've read it's what I gather). My volvo broke reliably. There was something to fix at about every oil change interval. Expensive import parts... guh.

The IS is a sport car though.. and it feels like one. And like smooth said, there's A LOT out there to modify it with, which you may not want him doing to (ultimately) your investment. It's a great car though and I'm absolutely in love with it. And it's safe too.

A new car is an idea with a 15k budget. The new Honda Fit is an option as well, my buddy just picked one up and they're freakin sweet cars! 40mpg mmmm mmm good. The IS doesn't get great gas mileage either.

In my opinion, it's risky getting a new driver a really nice car. Because I guarantee you he won't drive the same way he did with you in the car. And a not-as-nice-car now will make him really appreciate a nice car later down the road. Maybe get him a junker for a year and then if he's still fixed on the IS and drives well, go for it! Prices will be down too.

My advice is to pick up a consumer's reports car issue if you can and look through the new and used car section and see if there's a car you can both agree on. But good luck... I was in love at first sight with the IS300 haha.

i agree...... i started with an 85 ford tempo and treated it like crap..... and slowly got a nicer car....a honda civic... upgraded it and then wrecked it..... then still didn't learn my lesson... bought an even faster car..... modded it.... somebody wrecked into it.... bought the same car again.... turboed it...... ended up blowing the motor...... bought a brand new stratus...... still have it.... but gave it to my fiancee.... and i bought an is300 just recently at age 25.... and i really think that now i'm getting out of the be stupid behind the wheel stage..... tho i do have my moments.... just now know how to control them...... so first car?? i wouldn't unless you like giving a death wish to a very VERY nice car... just my opinion tho.... but like they said already.... depends on the kid! just my two cents.....

I think the IS is too light with too much power. It reminds me of my '70 Camaro. It can get loose on wet pavement way too easy. I almost lost it on a curve the first time I pushed it to see what the traction control did. I didn't mean to drift (OK out of control) but that's what I did. Made me question if my traction control worked because I bought it used and had been in a small wreck so I wasn't sure if it was working. The roads were just barely wet so it wasn't the smartest thing to do (my bad!). The IS might not be a good choice as a first car. But SUV's aren't either. My teenager rolled one of those.

I've wondered if it is my tires so when it's time to buy tires I will be looking for a good wet traction tire. Hope that helps!

Just have to echo what everyone else has said. 1. Too much power for a new driver. 2. Too old of a car by the time he finishes college. 3. Too many performance parts for a young and stupid (hey I was there not too long ago) teenage. Get him a entry-level compact car, when he's done with school, he can buy whatever the heck he wants.

• 4 months later...

Me too. Way to much car for a kid learning to drive. If they did buy him the car, I'd bet my next set of tires for my IS that he won't make it to college with that IS 300. He'll likely total it and God forbid hurt somebody else in the process. Go with Smooth's suggestion.

Best of luck, I'm just 3 years behind with the same problem coming my way. :(

Ken

my first car at 16 was 95 F-150.. then sold that for a 2000 S-10 Xtreme.. put 20's on there, lowered, ect.., then sold that for a 04 chevy colorado zq8, put 22's on that and lowered and such.. then sold that for a 03 Ford lightning Stock.. then mod it with built block, heads, cams, full exhast, kenne bell, ect.. put out 575hp. 650trq., then sold that for a 03 Lexus IS300.. its stock as of now, but stage 3 turbo coming soon.. looking around for 700hp.. i was about to get 95 twin turbo supra.. but the IS looks cooler.. so went from POS to very nice.. I am 22yrs. old as of now. i pay my own bills.. i live on my own.. mommy and daddy doesnt help me pay for *BLEEP*.. so u better be glad u have a nice mommy and daddy who supports u..

do whatever u want to do.. just dont wreck the car.

Read this: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=45011