Never A Bmw Or Mercedes

Woke on a nice monday morning and decided i was going to go buy a BMW 750li.....Arrived at the dealership around 1100am and was out the door around noon after writing a check for $88,754.00. I live in louisville and my 17yr old had to be in lexington for orientation at the university.....had a nice drive there and dropped him off........on the way home (louisville) the car just died on me. As i was sitting there in 95 degree weather i was trying to figure out how to get things to work since the dealer never showed me anything....just gave me the keys and i was off. it just so happened my sales person called to check on me and i told her i was stuck on the side of the road broken down and she said she would call back and never did. While i was sitting there the radio just came on... so i pressed the start button and the engine started....I hauled !Removed! back to louisville and as i pulled up to the dealership ..."ENGINE MALFUNCTION, SHUTTING DOWN ENGINE" showed up the display...walked in was furious...sales manager offered me brand new 750li fully loaded ...$90k plus on show room floor.. even exchanged.....I accepted ......the only problem was.......two other cars parked next to it (both BMW, One of the a M5) wouldnt start.....after trying to jump them for 45mins they moved both cars....got to the black beauty 750 and guess what.............WOULD NOT START....they put on a battery charger......jumpers.......mechanic......etc.......after 2 hours of this circus.........i didnt even have to ask the manager walked over to me and handed me my check back in shame....

Same day i called over to mercedes dealership and told the sales person to prep the new 2007 CLS 550 and that i was on my way to come get it .......Nice car ...raw horsepower ....seen one seen em all........Seats were very uncomfortable......RETURNED.........

Went over to the lexus dealership and they had the LS460 on the floor............took my breath away.......i knew this was the car......didnt even drive it ....wrote em a check and I have been happy ever since....Not one complaint.........called lexus and spoke to a engineer about adding new 20inch wheels ........he helped me out and now people follow me and ask me about this car........when i take it to the dealership its a great conversation piece......from people of all ages.......GO LEXUS ...i will always be a fan

Woke on a nice monday morning and decided i was going to go buy a BMW 750li.....Arrived at the dealership around 1100am and was out the door around noon after writing a check for $88,754.00. I live in louisville and my 17yr old had to be in lexington for orientation at the university.....had a nice drive there and dropped him off........on the way home (louisville) the car just died on me. As i was sitting there in 95 degree weather i was trying to figure out how to get things to work since the dealer never showed me anything....just gave me the keys and i was off. it just so happened my sales person called to check on me and i told her i was stuck on the side of the road broken down and she said she would call back and never did. While i was sitting there the radio just came on... so i pressed the start button and the engine started....I hauled !Removed! back to louisville and as i pulled up to the dealership ..."ENGINE MALFUNCTION, SHUTTING DOWN ENGINE" showed up the display...walked in was furious...sales manager offered me brand new 750li fully loaded ...$90k plus on show room floor.. even exchanged.....I accepted ......the only problem was.......two other cars parked next to it (both BMW, One of the a M5) wouldnt start.....after trying to jump them for 45mins they moved both cars....got to the black beauty 750 and guess what.............WOULD NOT START....they put on a battery charger......jumpers.......mechanic......etc.......after 2 hours of this circus.........i didnt even have to ask the manager walked over to me and handed me my check back in shame....

Same day i called over to mercedes dealership and told the sales person to prep the new 2007 CLS 550 and that i was on my way to come get it .......Nice car ...raw horsepower ....seen one seen em all........Seats were very uncomfortable......RETURNED.........

Went over to the lexus dealership and they had the LS460 on the floor............took my breath away.......i knew this was the car......didnt even drive it ....wrote em a check and I have been happy ever since....Not one complaint.........called lexus and spoke to a engineer about adding new 20inch wheels ........he helped me out and now people follow me and ask me about this car........when i take it to the dealership its a great conversation piece......from people of all ages.......GO LEXUS ...i will always be a fan

Dont generalise BMW and MB are *BLEEP*, you cant possibly expect a CLS to be as comfortable as an S class. 2 diffrent cars, one is a sport and the other is the luxury. Also the BMW dealership you have is *BLEEP* and their cars have some serious problems, my father drives a 2007 750LI and we have no issues with it what so ever, crossed the 30,000KM mark like a charm, the BMW also has night vision which is a great feature.

I am a Lexus fan myself, but dont say disregard BMW and MB like that, personally if given the choice between an LS or S class, i would not hesitate for a moment to go for an S class.

First off just want to say glad you like your Lexus.

I find it hard to believe that all 3 BMW's in the show room had dead batteries, and it took 2 hours to start a car with a dead battery... :whistles:

and

Did you test drive the MB, or did you buy it? When you say you "returned" it sounds like you bought it and got your money back too. If so wow I have got to hand it to you...I have never seen anyone get their money back for uncomfortable seats. I am a little surprised that the BMW dealership handed you your check back too.

But...OK welcome to the club enjoy the LS...great car!

:cheers:

Also the BMW dealership you have is *BLEEP* and their cars have some serious problems, my father drives a 2007 750LI and we have no issues with it what so ever, crossed the 30,000KM mark like a charm, the BMW also has night vision which is a great feature.

I am a Lexus fan myself, but dont say disregard BMW and MB like that, personally if given the choice between an LS or S class, i would not hesitate for a moment to go for an S class.

No offense, but to me that argument is reminiscent of the one smoking advocates use - "My grandpa smoked 2 packs every day and he lived to a healthy 93 years old" or some such statement. There are always exceptions to the rule, and I personally would love to drive a European luxury car, but to me it's not a gamble I'd be willing to take. There are enough reported issues with BMW, MB and Audi to dissuade many people from purchasing one and that's why Lexus became a competitive alternative to the European brands.

BTW, congratulations on the LS, but I can't imagine waking up and deciding to drop $90k on a car... who even keeps $100 g's in their checking account? :blink:

personally if given the choice between an LS or S class, i would not hesitate for a moment to go for an S class.

If both were the same price and I was going to dump it in 3 years then sure.

BUT, the S is significantly more expensive than the LS, and significantly less reliable if the previous model is any indication. While the new S is a looker, my money would still head for the LS.

The S is the only Mercedes that remotely appeals to me at all. The CLS is great to look at, but the interior is so hard and stark, just like all the other models. If I weren't going to be in a Lexus, I'd look at BMW and Audi before Mercedes.

Look i got a lexus ES350 08 myself, belive me i aint dissing lexus but a Mercedes is a Mercedes, i dont give 2 cents what you people think, a Mercedes has a confident drive to it that most cars cant reach.

Did I ever say you were "dissing" Lexus? No, I simply offered my viewpoint which was contrary to yours. Why are you so defensive?

If all you want to do is read your own opinions and viewpoints and never have to deal with anybody elses maybe a "discussion forum" isn't for you...

personally if given the choice between an LS or S class, i would not hesitate for a moment to go for an S class.
If both were the same price and I was going to dump it in 3 years then sure.

BUT, the S is significantly more expensive than the LS, and significantly less reliable if the previous model is any indication. While the new S is a looker, my money would still head for the LS.

The S is the only Mercedes that remotely appeals to me at all. The CLS is great to look at, but the interior is so hard and stark, just like all the other models. If I weren't going to be in a Lexus, I'd look at BMW and Audi before Mercedes.

I said IF GIVEN the choice, which clearly means you get to pick between 2 cars based on nothing to do with reliability or build quality or whatever criteria you have, id go for mercedes.

If i have a critieria to follow and reliability is one of them and MONEY is an issue, then sure i will go for the LS460. Otherwise i would not even have the LS on the list, would have an A8, 7-Series and S- class before mildly considering it.

Now you get it?

I think your definition of "choice" and ours is a bit difference. Or should I say your criteria and elements that encompass your definition of "choice" is different. There is nothing, and I mean NOTHING appealing about a $100k POS in the shop every 60 days. But, having said that, I see where you're coming from too. Hey, to each is his own, driving characteristics of all 4 cars are different, with different feel, acceleration, etc.... But to think a LS460 doesn't have the balls to sit next to a MB/BMW or Audi, well, I don't agree with. I've never really understood the whole "image" thing with a car. It's either economy, mid-sized, full-sized, luxury or other. From there, it's all in the car's manner that suits you best. Me? You couldn't give me a MB or Audi, period. I think they're ugly as sin, especially the MB. The BMW 7 series is pretty nice, but the 5 series looks like a disjointed pigeon !Removed! design. And you can take all of those i-drive things and toss them into the bottom of the ocean. I'm suprised the NHSTB hasn't banned them yet for being so damn distracting. If I can't use my Blackberry at 80mph, then you shouldn't be allowed to use your a/c, radio, heat seaking bug shield, and whatever else that stupid and confusing thing does.

The type of person who can buy the LS460, can also buy the BMW, MB and Audi. Infact, most of them probably have already had those cars...which is why they're now driving a new Lexus LS460.

I said IF GIVEN the choice, which clearly means you get to pick between 2 cars based on nothing to do with reliability or build quality or whatever criteria you have, id go for mercedes.

If i have a critieria to follow and reliability is one of them and MONEY is an issue, then sure i will go for the LS460. Otherwise i would not even have the LS on the list, would have an A8, 7-Series and S- class before mildly considering it.

Now you get it?

HAHA, oh of course excuse me for not seeing that, of course, "if given the choice" means that none of the differences between the cars exists. How could I have not known that? If thats honestly how your thought process works, that makes no sense...

I made absolutely no comment on your opinion, I simply offered my own. Again, don't be so defensive.

I just picked up my LS600hL on Tuesday.

So far, the only problem I've had was that the back-up camera lens was dirty, so I cleaned it.

I expect this car to be just like my other two LS's, regular maintenance, and nothing else. I never had a squeak, rattle or thump, let alone anything major with either one.

I let go of my BMW 5 months before the lease was up, just to get back into a Lexus. The first year of ownership it was in the shop 4 times.

BTW, the LS600hL is everything I'd hoped it would be and much, much more.

HBH

BTW, DID i tell you guys i love my lexus.......LOL...........on a another note i left my headlights on last night when i put the car in the garage, I usually leave the settings to auto and i turned on the headlights to look for something.......I called roadside assistant and they were at my house in 15mins............BRAVO......

the good news is i was talking to the tech and mentioned that feature about not being able to do the nav and cell phone feature while drivng and told him about on the older lexus you can access the service screen.........well he gets in and shows me how to access the service screen on the LS460.......i was in awe.......then i did it again after he left .........i searched for a few minutes to see if i can turn that feature off.........but not owning a lexus before i didnt knwo what to look for........if anyone needs the info on how to access the service screen on the ls460 please email me .........or i can post it on here.......i didnt know if i could get in trouble for doing so.......

btw did i tell yall i love my LS460!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's certainly your choice and you are entitled to it. It depends on what's important to you. But picking a car based on no criteria is kind of like picking it by the color. :D

I think in the past you could make that generalization but not now. Have you driven the LS and all three of the competitors? The LS460 is every bit the same class of car as the S550, A8 and the BMW750. While the prestige of the brand isn't quite there yet in certain markets; the cars are neck and neck as far as size, power and driving experience. Like I said in my post last year I think the LS drives BETTER than the non-ABC S550; and feels much nicer inside.

Having owned a Mercedes for many years and driven many more in the meantime I can tell you that I have a soft spot in my heart for the cars from Sindelfingen; but I just like the way the LS drives better. Also Mercedes made today are just not in the same league as far as quality and finish as the cars from 10 years ago. Or 25 years ago.

Now you get it?

Dude relax; nobody is attacking you here. If what you mean to say is that the Mercedes brand has a more established, higher brow reputation in the market, then say it-- I'll agree with you. Let's compare apples to apples here. :cheers:

Oh boy!! The new S550 is superioor car to my 430. I have to admit it. Have had the pleasure of driving one daily for a total of 2 months on and off. It is back in Florida now. As far as the 460, I have not driven one but still have a hard time telling the difference between a 350 and 460. The interior cabin of a 550 is gorgeous, exceptional quality and imho puts a hurt on the 430. The drive is quieter and much more stable than the 430. Huge cabin, much larger than the 430. We will wait and see as to the reliability of the 550. It has gone into the Dealer for an air suspension problem at 12k miles. :whistles: The 460 has had a shaky start as far as wind noise and suspension and we shall let that play out. The only thing I worry about at the end of the day is reliability of the 550. The Mercedes is a Mercedes and Lexus is still trying to catch up as far as "Class Factor" , if you follow. Let's wait and see how the 460 matches against the 550 this next year when the reports come out. I love my 430 and have had no major problems other than the ML woofer ( :censored:) and the soft leather that belongs in an Avalon and cracks like my Aunt Berthas face or jokes, not sure . Not like my old 400 that stood the test of time, darn good leather in those days. The 4 series Lexus are hard to beat on reliability. We shall see!!

Oh boy!! The new S550 is superioor car to my 430. I have to admit it.
I agree with you but so is an LS 460 :).
The interior cabin of a 550 is gorgeous, exceptional quality and imho puts a hurt on the 430. The drive is quieter and much more stable than the 430.
I agree about the cabin being quieter, but you really think the materials are that much better? They look nice but feel cheap to the touch compared to the ones in an UL LS430. Also the one I drove felt HUGE and awkward in tight turns; my LS430 feels smaller; at least in low speed turns. Hammer the car and things get better.
Huge cabin, much larger than the 430.
Yes, but a more fair comparison would be the SWB S450 which they don't sell here. Honestly the whole comparison isn't really fair because the S550 is a newer car; compare the LS430 to the S430/S500 and I think that the interior and quality of the Lexus wins hands down; despite the fact that the Mercedes was substantially more expensive. And the interior of the LS460 is really amazing; especially with the upgraded leather package.
The only thing I worry about at the end of the day is reliability of the 550.
The S550 actually BEAT the LS460 in the JD Power IQS; but the ratings have been changed to reflect both reported issues as well as things people don't really like about the car. I have heard mixed results anecdotally but so far seems to be much better than the previous generation car.
The Mercedes is a Mercedes and Lexus is still trying to catch up as far as "Class Factor" , if you follow.
Yes Mercedes has done a wonderful job as far as leveraging the history and heritage of the brand; but it has been moved down market in recent years; both to make for better sales as well as room for the Maybach at the top of the range.

I'd be curious to hear your impressions after driving an LS460; I wish I had more experience with the newer Mercedes cars. I really want them to come back to what they used to be. :cheers:

Hi Jainla, You did a fine job of critique and I appreciate your input for our members. I started this scenario a while ago about the 550 when my friend first visited earlier this year in his S550 after he lost his wife and I have been friends with these people going on 30 + years. He has always been a Lexus fan and I a Lexus fan in the last few years. Before that I was a Mercedes fan and have had a few in my lifetime. Fell out with the reliability and switched. I mentioned then that it was not fair to compare a 02 430 to a new S550. All seem to be mute points. I know for a fact, having worked in the CT/MRI field for 20 + years that the Germans have a penchant for over engineering and the Japanese have a copycat attitude while redefining the minutest detail. Thus I agree with you and we should each drive the other prior to more critique. I will say "hammer" the Mercedes and the torque will wet your pants. Having said that, on the way home my impressions steered [ play on words] to Cadillac. STS, DTS.. what jokes on the American public. We "can" build cars like the Mercedes and Lexus and don't because of ritzy CEO's bottom line profits. What a sad outcome of the great American auto that never even showed up in the end. The Harvard types, for all their education, are now making us pay the the "bottom line" price of losing the grandeur of the American Automobile. How sad for us all. Oh well back to my 430...AHHH!! Thanks Jainla :cheers:

I know for a fact, having worked in the CT/MRI field for 20 + years that the Germans have a penchant for over engineering and the Japanese have a copycat attitude while redefining the minutest detail.
I would prefer mimic more than copycat but lately Japan has come up with some truly innovative products; the safety features in the LS460 have won all kinds of awards. But you have to admire the durability and reliability of the cars; especially considering all the complicated technology they contain. And i will say every time I crank my 26 year old Mercedes diesel engine (which still starts on the first crank than you very much) that yes; they were completely over engineered back in the day. They seem to be returning to that modus operandi. That is Lexus' ulitmate contribution; it made every other car better.
I will say "hammer" the Mercedes and the torque will wet your pants.
I bet, that's a hell of an engine under there. It's almost not fair that they also drop it into the E550. I was also impressed that the more you push the S550 the smaller it feels. I wish I'd driven an ABC model.
Having said that, on the way home my impressions steered [ play on words] to Cadillac. STS, DTS.. what jokes on the American public. We "can" build cars like the Mercedes and Lexus and don't because of ritzy CEO's bottom line profits. What a sad outcome of the great American auto that never even showed up in the end. The Harvard types, for all their education, are now making us pay the the "bottom line" price of losing the grandeur of the American Automobile. How sad for us all.
Yes it's bad. What's even worse is that Ford and GM build really good cars in Europe; but they won't sell them here because they are too expensive to make in larger numbers. Bean counters in charge yet again.
Oh well back to my 430...AHHH!! :cheers:
Yup nice work if you can get it. :cheers: To you too man! Go drive a 460...let us know how you think it stacks up!