2000 Rx300 Driver Sun Visor

BigMoodyCurve

if you mean it is falling down, or is the mounting hardware loose. Mine the hardware was loose and yes you can tighten that....

• 1 month later...
if you mean it is falling down, or is the mounting hardware loose. Mine the hardware was loose and yes you can tighten that....

How do you tighten it? Nut, screw ??? Where is it located? Thanks

The screws I am talking about are under the little plastic cover where the visor is attached to the ceiling. That plastic piece pops off (be gentle) and use a screwdriver (flatblade) against a piece of cardboard to protect the headliner. Under that piece are screws which tighten the visor to the ceiling.

• 3 weeks later...
The screws I am talking about are under the little plastic cover where the visor is attached to the ceiling. That plastic piece pops off (be gentle) and use a screwdriver (flatblade) against a piece of cardboard to protect the headliner. Under that piece are screws which tighten the visor to the ceiling.

On the 1999 ...RX300, I do not see any "little plastic cover". Just more headliner.

????

On the 1999 ...RX300, I do not see any "little plastic cover". Just more headliner.

????

I think Lenore is talking about the attachment of the metal rod to the headliner. I don't know if your problem is the same as mine but my sun visor keeps slowly lowering itself - it's loose (ie won't stay "up") where the visor attaches to the metal rod, not where the rod attaches to the headliner (?)

The only fix I know for my problem is to buy a new sun visor which, with the lights, mirror and homelink, cost as much as the car is worth!!!

;)

????

I think Lenore is talking about the attachment of the metal rod to the headliner. I don't know if your problem is the same as mine but my sun visor keeps slowly lowering itself - it's loose (ie won't stay "up") where the visor attaches to the metal rod, not where the rod attaches to the headliner (?)

The only fix I know for my problem is to buy a new sun visor which, with the lights, mirror and homelink, cost as much as the car is worth!!!

;)

Yea, where it attaches to ceiling, I suspect you could do something if if is just lowering, but would envolve dissecting the visor carefully, and probably damaging it....

• 1 month later...

The sun visor (driver side) on my RX330 has a different problem. When I position it to shade sunlight coming in thru the driver's window, it has the annoying habit of rotating at its attach point and smacking me in the head whenever I make a left turn. The centrifugal forces making it do this are slight... I'm not making hard left turns.

The solution is to find a way to increase the friction of the visor where it attaches to the roof of the vehicle. Is there a way to do this without the expense of replacing the entire assembly?

The sun visor (driver side) on my RX330 has a different problem. When I position it to shade sunlight coming in thru the driver's window, it has the annoying habit of rotating at its attach point and smacking me in the head whenever I make a left turn. The centrifugal forces making it do this are slight... I'm not making hard left turns.

The solution is to find a way to increase the friction of the visor where it attaches to the roof of the vehicle. Is there a way to do this without the expense of replacing the entire assembly?

Lock-Tite makes a several products. I am not talking about the permanent kind. They make one where you can remove the screws etc. ; but makes it so they don't work loose easily.

Anyway, you might be able to work some of that on-to the rod.

If someone has purchased a new one and still has the old one, OR we could get one from a parts yard.

We could experiment on it. Somehow the rod is being held onto the visor. (screw, clip whatever) and we need to know

how to remove the rod... May require a cut at somepoint in the fabric to access the holder.

• 6 months later...
Is it possible to tighten the visor? Or, does this loose visor need to be replaced?

It's not possible to tighten the visor if it is 'rotating' down---in other words you may hit a bump and it flops down or you can't get it to stay in the fully upright position. You can tighten screw at the hinge point but this only keeps it attached to the roofline, not from flopping down. I've been told there's no way to increase the friction of the internal assembly---only replace the whole thing---which is expensive. For now I've glued magnetic strips----it's not pretty when the visor down, but ok when it's up----it's not pretty, but hey---the car's 10 years old.

Is it possible to tighten the visor? Or, does this loose visor need to be replaced?

It's not possible to tighten the visor if it is 'rotating' down---in other words you may hit a bump and it flops down or you can't get it to stay in the fully upright position. You can tighten screw at the hinge point but this only keeps it attached to the roofline, not from flopping down. I've been told there's no way to increase the friction of the internal assembly---only replace the whole thing---which is expensive. For now I've glued magnetic strips----it's not pretty when the visor down, but ok when it's up----it's not pretty, but hey---the car's 10 years old.

I'm probably not putting this in the right place---but does anyone know if (or how I can find out) a driver's side visor from a 01 LEXUS IS300 would fit the RX300?

I like the velcro idea, that would be my choice when it happens....

This week I replaced the drivers side visor in my 2000 RX300 - easy to do. Purchased the new visor from

http://www.factorylexusparts.com/servlet/StoreFront for $160 plus shipping.

I tried the velcro fix; however, the heat prevented the glue from holding to the visor and headliner.

• 1 month later...
This week I replaced the drivers side visor in my 2000 RX300 - easy to do. Purchased the new visor from

http://www.factorylexusparts.com/servlet/StoreFront for $160 plus shipping.

Cool: Can you explain how you did it as I need to do the same with mine. Also, did this one come with the homelink transmitter installed or without it?

• 5 months later...

Et tu? LOL. Have you gotten used to holding it in place while you turn? ROFL. I can so relate. Just (today) replaced my hinge because of that (well worth the $90 bucks in part and labor to stop that annoying crap). Funny how a 4 year old car has those issues when my 70 Challenger's visors have no such problems after all almost 40 years. Go figa'!

• 2 months later...

????

;)

Yea, where it attaches to ceiling, I suspect you could do something if if is just lowering, but would envolve dissecting the visor carefully, and probably damaging it....

I have the same problem of the visor coming down and have become programmed to push it back up every 5 mins. Thought of the velcro idea, but suspected there is another way of dealing with this but it seems not. Will try the velcro, would be best If I could find velcro the color of the interior.

????

;)

I have the same problem of the visor coming down and have become programmed to push it back up every 5 mins. Thought of the velcro idea, but suspected there is another way of dealing with this but it seems not. Will try the velcro, would be best If I could find velcro the color of the interior.

You actually CAN fix the visor (sort of). The visor is held in place by friction from a clamp inside the visor near the end where it pivots. You have to cut along the seam (the one that runs nearest the roof) and expose the clamp. You can then use pliers or vise grips to tighten the clamp. You would then have to sew up the visor to repair the cut area. You can't clamp from the outside (i.e., without cutting the visor) because the clamp is covered by two layers of styrofoam - you'd just be clamping on the styrofoam with no effect. See my post in the other thread.