Ls430 Windshield Insurance Fiasco

Intune

Took a rock hit on my '01 430's windshield and even though I had the epoxy, uv treatment done to the <1" crack it turned into a 12"-14" crack. My insurance co (USAA) said no prob, Safelite will give you a call. Long story short, ins would not pay for the $1,600 OEM instead of $300 aftermarket. Called ins, rep said it didn't matter if the car was one, five or ten years old (I read on another thread here that less than seven they had to give you what you wanted) they don't have to go OEM. Spoke to supervisor and she took the claim to her Director. Came back later & said that as a "good customer" (one small bumper claim in twenty+ years of house, boat, car and motorcycle coverage) that I could pay the $500 deductible and they would cover the rest.

I feel that I am getting hosed. I explained that aftermarket glass is not the same & that they should restore my vehicle to its original state before the damage. She countered with, "their (OEM) price is not a reasonable cost for a windshield." Do I have any recourse in this situation?

Great website btw!

Maybe you can call some other glass companies yourself and get some prices. USAA should know exactly how much the glass+labor would cost so maybe you can ask the rep to give you a price range they are willing to pay. I had dealt with USAA several years back with an accident and they were very willing to resolve claims.

Gosh, even the body shop owned by the local Lexus uses aftermarket glass.

I've had aftermarket windshield installed in lots of cars over the past 40 years, including in Lexus LS and Toyota brand vehicles, and have gotten only one bad windshield -- way back in the 70s -- and it was promptly replaced at no charge.

I'll be replacing the windshield on my currently LS fairly soon and, yes, it will be aftermarket glass -- for less than $300. The replacement will be done by a shop with which I have a long term relationship.

Sorry, but I agree with your insurance company.

In what way do you feel aftermarket glass is not the same? Clarity, distortion, hardness, colour? PPG is one of the world's largest and best manufacturers of automotive glass and their products are used in many brands, including North American built Lexus. They may very well be supplying the $300.00 piece, and if so I wouldn't think twice. Go with it.

Lexus also makes hood support struts that cost hundreds of dollars. The ones in my LS are $24.95 items from a Dodge Omni or something, and they work great....

I just want my car to be returned to the condition it was in before the crack. Aftermarket glass seems to have some issues. I'm all for an aftermarket hood or trunk strut that does the job as well or better than OEM. Is that even in the same ballpark of staring through a distorted aftermarket windshield on my next 14hr trip to TX 'cause I happened to get a "miss" on a

"hit or miss" aftermarket piece of glass?

Grooms makes great aftermarket engines. Anybody drop one of them in their Lexus lately?

What about these threads?

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=29334

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...p;hl=windshield

There are a bunch more. I didn't give any thought to OEM vs. A.M. Until I read some of these. Would I insist on an OEM Hyundai glass for my teenage daughter's Sonata? Heck no! The PPG or Pilkington is probably better. I didn't ask for Genuine GM parts for my Suburban glass last year. One of these two companies probably makes the glass for GM.

I really like the LS430. It deserves the best I can do for it so I'm shelling out the bigger bucks just like I do for the better/best oil, gas, filters & tires. I might just try some A.M. glass next time 'cause I'm sure the new 'shield is gonna be a rock magnet. :rolleyes: Then I'll have firsthand experience. Maybe chow on some crow... Maybe not! Until then I'm going with the OEM.

Here is a little snippet from Autoglassmagazine.net

Is there a difference in quality between OEM and non-OEM windshields? Are ever-shrinking profits and insurance mandates forcing auto-glass shop owners and operators to choose parts purely based on price? How much does a quality installation count toward making any replacement windshield fit properly and protect drivers and passengers?

Don Howig, owner of Ziebart Speedy Auto Glass in Jamestown, N.Y., refuses to debate. "We use OEM glass because we can depend on the fit for a given vehicle," Howig says. "We've tried a couple of windshields from another company [whose executives] told us that with their new manufacturing equipment their products were just as good and less expensive as our OEM glass. Our experience turned out to be otherwise. I don't like creating problems for myself, so when I know something works, I am more apt to stay with it, even though the cost is slightly more."

Photo by Messe Düsseldorf

Replacement parts from OEM suppliers were found to be better, according to a 5-year-old study comparing replacement glass made by OEMs with replacement glass made by domestic and foreign vendors who were not supplying automakers directly. The automotive glass quality assurance department of PPG Industries Inc. in Pittsburgh, conducted the study. The researchers found that automotive-replacement glass made by OEMs fit closer to original equipment, resembled original equipment, met the safety standards as original equipment, had the same high-optical quality as original equipment and was easier to install. This type of replacement glass also reduced wind noise and leakage problems because of its tight fit, PPG officials say.

These guys know a whole bunch more about glass than I ever will.

As you no doubt read, I contributed to the second thread you list. My point there was that the installation quality is far more critical than the glass quality. You will have to research the shop that does the install, and try to avoid some underskilled youngster being given the task of installing your glass. Poor fit, water and wind leaks, are mostly the result of the installation job, not the glass. Glass doesn't leak, the seal does, and modern windshields are glued into place with urethane in order to act as a structural part of the roof, and also to allow the passenger side airbag to deploy against it as a restraint, unlike the drivers airbag which is supported by the steering wheel. That's what would concern me.

I stand by my statements regarding PPG glass - they make great products.

You got the 7 years from me, apparently it depends on the state.

In my experience with windshields, and I've replaced a lot of windshields, there is definately a difference between the quality of OEM and aftermarket glass. Aftermarket glass has lower quality control standards, the tints don't match up properly, you wind up having issues with the automatic wipers working properly (this is a BIG one on newer cars). Now, this has been based on my experience, but I've never had an aftermarket windshield put in a car I was satisfied with. And I've replaced windshields in two Lexus cars including an aftermarket windshield I insisted they replace with OEM when I saw it.

I'd even come out of pocket for the Lexus glass probably.

Personally? I would change insurance companies and the first question I would ask them would be if they would cover OEM glass replacement in the event of a crack for your Lexus.

I just had my windshield replaced a few weeks ago, and I haven't noticed any difference between the OEM and aftermarket PPG. By the way, I have USAA insurance, and if everyone insisted on them paying for a $1,300.00 upgrade just to stay with OEM (for no noticable difference), I'm sure that our rates would certainly increase accordingly. If you are still that concerned with staying with OEM, it sounds very reasonable for them to ask you to pay the $500.00 deductable to get a $1,600.00 windshield. It really boils down to USAA paying the $300.00 for PPG (with no cost to you), or $1,100.00 for OEM (with you kicking in the $500.00). Being a concerned shareholder, I would rather see you stick with the PPG and save everyone some money. Just the fact of not having the 'Lexus' stamp on the windshield IMHO is really not worth it.

I see your points and agree. $1,600 is pretty steep. I did thank the rep for covering the diff & meant it. $1,600 worth of anything for $500 is a deal so I'll quit my whining. Thanks for all the replies and insight.

• 1 month later...

I would like to put my 2 cents in on OEM versus AM windshield replacement. My insurance installed and AM about a year ago and today, it looks like it's 10 years old. A lot of pits. I live in Southern Calif. with very moderate wind and very little sand. When driving toward the sun in the evening, I can barely see because of the sun glare.(on the pitted glass) I am going to replace it in a few weeks and my insurance also refuses to replace it with OEM.

PS: Got a notice that my insurance is not required to replace damaged auto parts with OEM.

• 1 month later...
I just had my windshield replaced a few weeks ago, and I haven't noticed any difference between the OEM and aftermarket PPG. By the way, I have USAA insurance, and if everyone insisted on them paying for a $1,300.00 upgrade just to stay with OEM (for no noticable difference), I'm sure that our rates would certainly increase accordingly. If you are still that concerned with staying with OEM, it sounds very reasonable for them to ask you to pay the $500.00 deductable to get a $1,600.00 windshield. It really boils down to USAA paying the $300.00 for PPG (with no cost to you), or $1,100.00 for OEM (with you kicking in the $500.00). Being a concerned shareholder, I would rather see you stick with the PPG and save everyone some money. Just the fact of not having the 'Lexus' stamp on the windshield IMHO is really not worth it.

Why not get a OEM from a wrecking yard? Im sure somewhere in America there is a 430 that was rearended. If you got the glass shop to write you up an invoice that included this glass they would probably honor it. I see Mechanics in their grubs at the yards all the time and they are on the clock, getting replacement parts. Worth a try next time. Doesnt Allstate use OEM parts as quoted in their commercials?

I've had a lot of windshields replaced over my past 44 years of driving and I believe you're being totally unreasonable on your refusal to accept an aftermarket windshield. So long as it has all the required Safe-T, DOT, etc. lettering on the windshield, and it will, the aftermarket will be every bit as good as the OE windshield. Optically, clarity, etc. quality on aftermarket windwhields is generally very high.

Especially for an LS-430 that isn't brand-spanking new, I wouldn't hesitate an instant to accept the aftermarket windshield. On another of my vehicles, a big rock-crawling Jeep Wrangler, it goes through windshields every year or two and I'd be broke if I paid full-price for an OE windshield and would not even consider using one since all of the aftermarket windshields I have used were just as nice as the OE windshield was.

I would never accept aftermarket glass on any car, it always has waves unless it is up to LEXUS OEM standards which is why the cheaper one is $300 because it has much less layers coatings and quality control.

well the problem is that most people do not read the fine print on the insurance policies. most people are looking for the cheapest insurance and never take the time to find out that they signed with a company that only pays for a/m parts when available. some insurance companies will only pay for a/m if its available and the car is older than 1 year.

also another reason parts like this are more money is that the auto manufacturer needs to make its % of profit. if its a part that they don't control the manufacturing of they need to charge more. take belts for an example. bando is the supplier for toyota and while the dealer is very competitive on these i can still buy bando belts for almost 40% less.

• 3 weeks later...

For those who believe that aftermarket glass is always great. Next time you are driving around look at a cars windshield from an angle such as the side looking from the left to right so the bow of the glass is seen ans see how many wavy windshields can be seen. My oem glass is pitted to hell and has 3 chips but not a single crack as it is molded perfectly to the car when it was dead straight and true. I know as soon as i remove the glass it will allow the car to flex and move out of this position allowing it to crack more easily OEM or not.

Guys....You are ALL right. Here's why:

There is 3 types of auto glass. (Just like the tires on your car)

OEM

OEM-equivalent aftermarket

Non OEM-equivalent aftermartket

First two are exactly the same in quality and many times the exact same manufacturer. (Pilkington aka LOF)

Third one is same "dimensions" as OEM but not the same quality and should be avoided.

The tricky part is knowing which is which. For that you should look at the grading specs on the corner.

And installation is EVERYTHING...

Cheers