Top Speed You've Hit With Your Lexus

Meshblorg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My tires are only rated for 112mph. :(

Actually you are safe for more than that, briefly. The speed rating is for continuous speed and refers to the heating of the tire carcass. If you just zoom up and down again there is no heating, or at least not enough to cause problems.

I built a 427 Cobra replica a few years back, and it had S rated tires - mud and snow rated too - and I regularly blasted it to 130mph, just not for long. The Porsche guys in the motorsports club I was in used to laugh at the tires - until I beat all of them in the slaloms. Bunch of pansies.....

My tires are only rated for 112mph. :(

Actually you are safe for more than that, briefly. The speed rating is for continuous speed and refers to the heating of the tire carcass. If you just zoom up and down again there is no heating, or at least not enough to cause problems.

I built a 427 Cobra replica a few years back, and it had S rated tires - mud and snow rated too - and I regularly blasted it to 130mph, just not for long. The Porsche guys in the motorsports club I was in used to laugh at the tires - until I beat all of them in the slaloms. Bunch of pansies.....

SRK, Your the BOMB :cheers::cheers::cheers: The good old days B) B) B)

Anyone have any idea how much distance it takes to get to 120mph in my '97 LS? I'm thinking of sneaking onto the runway of a local airport and going crazy!!!!!!

86';

Ten thousand foot runway......It'll take about 9,950 feet.......The last 50 feet is a bit tricky though..........

Anyone have any idea how much distance it takes to get to 120mph in my '97 LS? I'm thinking of sneaking onto the runway of a local airport and going crazy!!!!!!

86';

Ten thousand foot runway......It'll take about 9,950 feet.......The last 50 feet is a bit tricky though..........

Really? I read somewhere that it takes a Crown Vic Police Interceptor about 1 mile to get to 120 from a stop. But maybe that figure is inaccurate. Where are you getting your info?

86';

Really? I read somewhere that it takes a Crown Vic Police Interceptor about 1 mile to get to 120 from a stop. But maybe that figure is inaccurate. Where are you getting your info?

I don't believe that a 2000ish Crown vic police interceptor does 0-60 in about 8.6 sec and does a 1/4 mile in 15.32 sec at 93 MPH. My 96 es300 stock does a 1/4 mile in 16.1 sec at 89.1 MPH and its slow. Crown Vic's are SLOW

Haha, I never said they were fast. The 95-97 LS400 is no slouch, though. It's a good 300 pounds lighter and has more horsepower and torque!

Uh, top speed? It was like 72 mph on the freeway in a 70 mph zone.

You sure like to live on the wild side.

I guess the LS400 is very well suited to you. :P (Just kidding of course.)

Oh yeah and I dont think I have ever had it over 3K rpm. I baby it and probably have more problems than anyone else here. I guess I need to torture and abuse it and maybe I will have less troubles? ;)

Uh, top speed? It was like 72 mph on the freeway in a 70 mph zone.

You sure like to live on the wild side.

I guess the LS400 is very well suited to you. :P (Just kidding of course.)

Oh yeah and I dont think I have ever had it over 3K rpm. I baby it and probably have more problems than anyone else here. I guess I need to torture and abuse it and maybe I will have less troubles? ;)

Never over 3K? I don't blame you, though. When I'm just driving around town, 2k is enough in this car. :)

(Plus every time I get on the gas on this car, I feel like I'm wasting so much fuel!)

[

Never over 3K? I don't blame you, though. When I'm just driving around town, 2k is enough in this car. :)

(Plus every time I get on the gas on this car, I feel like I'm wasting so much fuel!)

Yes, when in town, I am rarely over 2200 rpms. Its totally unnecessary for my needs. I think that 3K rpm moment was when I was merging into roaring traffic. ;)

EXCEPT the time when the dealer left some plastic in my floor and when I went out one morning to get in it my foot pressed it and it pulled the pedal down with it and it raced the engine to 6K rpms! :o I was ticked off when that happened.

It's not like the engine blows at 6k RPMs...

It sure doesn't. But your entire drivetrain probably feels it! And your tires!

The LS400 has to be the least satisfying car to drive fast, though. I miss having a sports car. After I finish grad school, I'll probably keep the LS and get something sporty to compliment it before I go insane!!!!!

The wife drives the LS all the time, I drive the GS. So when I get the chance to drive the LS, I put the boots to it. A few full throttle blasts is all it needs. That tends to heat the convertors to the self-cleaning temperature, and also gets the O2 sensors hot enough to clean. As well in Canadian damp cold climates the exhaust system can fill with water, so full throttle blows all the moisture out. The engines are quite capable of doing this without harm - there is a rev limiter in the computer and they are not allowed to hurt themselves.

I enjoy the LS at speed, but I have installed 1994 16 inch wheels with Michelin Exaltos which certainly makes the handling better. For cruising at 70-80 mph these cars are great - quite a bit smoother than the GS, but I like it's firmer ride too.

So it's all good.